Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WHICH AIRLINES DO YOU USE?

WHICH AIRLINES DO YOU USE?

Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:53 am
Just Joined

LOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant future
Default WHICH AIRLINES DO YOU USE?

Which airlines do the forumers recommend when flying to Auz from UK?

When do you think its the best time to buy the ticket? well in advance, or nearer to date required?

The average price for a ticket next summer (Man. to Cairns) is 1,200GBP
I assumed they would be cheaper, any suggestions?

Many thanks

LOLLYSPAIN
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHICH AIRLINES DO YOU USE?

Originally Posted by LOLLYSPAIN

When do you think its the best time to buy the ticket? well in advance, or nearer to date required?

Many thanks

LOLLYSPAIN
Expats Airline Poll.

Buying in advance or closer to the date is pretty much a lottery at the moment...but GBP1200 sounds VERY expensive!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:08 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

I've used Qantas, British Airways and Emirates. Emirates is my fav by far!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks

LOLLYSPAIN
That's outrageous! That's the sort of price we would have to pay doing Aus - UK - Aus.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks

LOLLYSPAIN
It is expensive. Better to shop around a bit, however it is a long flight so ticket cost wouldn't be the deciding factor for me. I'd look at what airlines provide best in flight service and entertainment. I always use Emirates to go back to Glasgow each year.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:56 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore, Malaysian, Emirates in that order.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:00 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

It's getting to Cairns that seems to boost the price, always seems much dearer than getting to any of the major cities.

I found prices for BA/Qantas/Cathay Pacific all pretty much of a muchness.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:03 am
Just Joined

LOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant future

Many thanks

LOLLYSPAIN
Whoops, my post isnt clear!! The 1,200GBP is for a return flight, not just a one way, now that would be robbery!!

LOLLYSPAIN
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:14 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops, my post isnt clear!! The 1,200GBP is for a return flight, not just a one way, now that would be robbery!!

LOLLYSPAIN
What dates are you looking at?
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:28 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

I've just paid $2087 return from Sydney to Manchester with Singapore. The cheapest I found was with FinnAir going via Helsinki which came out about $1750 for the same dates but I dilly dallyed and by the time I came to book all seats were gone. I only booked a month in advance which made it dearer - I have heard that six weeks out is about the cheapest you will get if you dont book when the seats are released (13 months in advance usually). Leave it later than that and it just goes up and up.

£1200 is about average I think at moment especially from Manchester. You will get it cheaper if you go from Heathrow but its not much and not worth the hassle IMO. Its a hard pill to swallow - for my first trip in 2005 I paid £700 return and that included two nights in KL.

Flying weekdays instead of weekends can bring the price down also.

Try kayak, travel jungle and airfaresbasement - they usually find the best deals - but always check the airlines own site before booking, might get it a tad cheaper still.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

I wouldn't say that buying heaps in advance is necessarily going to be cheaper. I flew out to Oz in May and booked my flights the same day! £1400 for 2 adults and 1 child with Singapore Airlines. As I can't normally plan too much in advance I tend to not book more than 6 weeks ahead. Saying that though I am usually always flexible with when I fly out and when I return.

The only time I would book more in advance is at Christmas time.

I have only ever flown with Singapore Airlines and there is a reason....they are simply superb and I have had no other reason to try anyone else since their prices are fairly similar. Loved the A380 the last time and Singapore Airport is great if you have to stop there a couple of hours too.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:47 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

I've made that particular trip on:

Malaysia Airlines - generally pretty good, but the layover in Kuala Lumpur always seems to be very, very long. Their international flights are far better than their domestic (where they let women leave their seats back and hold all their carry-on luggage for takeoff and landing - provided the woman is pretty enough).

Sri Lankan Airlines – some of the world’s most uncomfortable seats. Whoever designed them seems to think human spines curve in the opposite direction. Friendly staff and good entertainment (and because of the times of the flights you get a free night in a Sri Lankan beach resort on the way there). Planes tend to, ah, get a bit dirty towards the end of the flight…

Finnair – love this airline, and most of my recent trips have been with them. Great flight attendants, great food. Stopovers are possible in a lot of Asian countries – Finnair is growing so fast there are always more options.

Qantas – A big improvement recently. A couple of years ago I couldn’t find anything much positive to say, and had some flights with safety issues. But I’ve just made a few long flights with them, and the improvement is amazing. Better – and more – food and drinks. Friendlier flight attendants. Really good entertainment. Since Virgin entered the Australian market they seem to have been spooked into making some big improvements.

British Airways – Okay. Not bad, not great. For some reason their planes always seem really hot and stuffy. They get the job done.

JAL – pretty good, but some of the planes I’ve been on have been very dated. Again, you are likely to have a forced, free stopover with this airline – in Tokyo/Narita of course. Naturally, this airline is going to be very Japanese – be prepared for sushi. Polite, helpful staff.

Korean Air – Not so great. Unless you are familiar with some of the eccentric Korean meals, you might not enjoy the food! I was handed a bowl of warm water and some things that looked like toothpaste tubes to flavour it with. I don’t have any particular complaints, just that it was far from my best flight between Australia and the UK.

Thai Airways – Fine, I suppose. I’m sick of Thailand and all the dirty old men hanging around the airports though! The last time I used this airline the new airport was still having problems, and I must say the new airport is terrible. Too spread out with nothing there to see or do. Be prepared to walk for miles to transfer.

Cathay Pacific – What is with those horrible new capsule seats?! Be prepared for permanent spinal damage – those seats will give you a hunched back. Plus the seats on the sides come with a huge airbag attached to the seatbelt – you cannot remove it or move it. It’s so incredibly uncomfortable. It’s a pity, because otherwise I would have really liked flying with them.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:37 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

We have flown with 4 airlines and would put them in the order below.

1) Singapore
2) Emirates
3) BA
4) QANTAS
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:41 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Direct routes to Cairns are limited to:-

Air New Zealand via L.A. and Auckland. Approx 33 hours.

Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong.

Qantas to Singapore then Jetstar (Qantas) via Darwin. Think some of the flights LHR to Singapore are BA code shares.

JAL via Tokyo. Code share to Cairns. Was with Qantas but possibly Jetstar now.

We didn't like Cathay when we emigrated but did like JAL. However every airline will get bad press at some time and it's a one off so wouldn't worry too much.

So for direct into Cairns it's via L.A./Auckland, Tokyo, Hong Kong or Singapore.

The alternative is to come in via one of the other main cities and take an internal flight. This would normally be via Brisbane 2 hours or Sydney 4 hours.
That opens up routes via the likes of Dubai and Kuala Lumpar.

Careful with the cost comparison as is you had to stay overnight in Brisbane or Sydney maybe the direct route into Cairns would be cheaper.(and quicker)

Also check the luggage weight restrictions. It may be 25kg on the international route but only 20kg on domestic.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: WHICH AIRLINES DO YOU USE?

Originally Posted by SNH
I've made that particular trip on:

Malaysia Airlines - generally pretty good, but the layover in Kuala Lumpur always seems to be very, very long. Their international flights are far better than their domestic (where they let women leave their seats back and hold all their carry-on luggage for takeoff and landing - provided the woman is pretty enough).

Sri Lankan Airlines – some of the world’s most uncomfortable seats. Whoever designed them seems to think human spines curve in the opposite direction. Friendly staff and good entertainment (and because of the times of the flights you get a free night in a Sri Lankan beach resort on the way there). Planes tend to, ah, get a bit dirty towards the end of the flight…

Finnair – love this airline, and most of my recent trips have been with them. Great flight attendants, great food. Stopovers are possible in a lot of Asian countries – Finnair is growing so fast there are always more options.

Qantas – A big improvement recently. A couple of years ago I couldn’t find anything much positive to say, and had some flights with safety issues. But I’ve just made a few long flights with them, and the improvement is amazing. Better – and more – food and drinks. Friendlier flight attendants. Really good entertainment. Since Virgin entered the Australian market they seem to have been spooked into making some big improvements.

British Airways – Okay. Not bad, not great. For some reason their planes always seem really hot and stuffy. They get the job done.

JAL – pretty good, but some of the planes I’ve been on have been very dated. Again, you are likely to have a forced, free stopover with this airline – in Tokyo/Narita of course. Naturally, this airline is going to be very Japanese – be prepared for sushi. Polite, helpful staff.

Korean Air – Not so great. Unless you are familiar with some of the eccentric Korean meals, you might not enjoy the food! I was handed a bowl of warm water and some things that looked like toothpaste tubes to flavour it with. I don’t have any particular complaints, just that it was far from my best flight between Australia and the UK.

Thai Airways – Fine, I suppose. I’m sick of Thailand and all the dirty old men hanging around the airports though! The last time I used this airline the new airport was still having problems, and I must say the new airport is terrible. Too spread out with nothing there to see or do. Be prepared to walk for miles to transfer.

Cathay Pacific – What is with those horrible new capsule seats?! Be prepared for permanent spinal damage – those seats will give you a hunched back. Plus the seats on the sides come with a huge airbag attached to the seatbelt – you cannot remove it or move it. It’s so incredibly uncomfortable. It’s a pity, because otherwise I would have really liked flying with them.

Really good, informed help! Thanks! Always have flown with Singapore but next trip back we want to go via Hong Kong so looking into other airlines but with trepidation as Singapore have always been so good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.