Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which airliner to use?

Which airliner to use?

Old Jun 18th 2009, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

skoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant future
Default Which airliner to use?

Hi,

I'm sure this question has been asked & answered many times before, so could anyone point me to some links for previous threads? or opinions on airliners to use, Will be flying to perth with wife & one year old with a night stay over(to break it up for child) not bothered which direction we go. We after the best luggage allowance.
Past experiences would be appreciated.

Ian
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which airliner to use?

Originally Posted by skoots76
Hi,

I'm sure this question has been asked & answered many times before, so could anyone point me to some links for previous threads? or opinions on airliners to use, Will be flying to perth with wife & one year old with a night stay over(to break it up for child) not bothered which direction we go. We after the best luggage allowance.

Ian
Boeing 747-400 to Singapore, then Airbus A330 to Aus always suits me best, preferably operated by Qantas.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

Hi,

Ian
Singapore Airlines - A380 -Upper Deck is the bees knees. I'd fly this on both legs if poss, just got to pick the flight times to suit. but definately the longer stretch to Singapore on the A380.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

skoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant future

The air bus 380 only flys to Sydney at the mo with singapore airlines. And I doubt we will be in any upper deck as we are going economy.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:56 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

We have been with both Qantas and Singapore and found them both to be excellent with the children (aged 2.5 and 6months the first time and almost 3 and just turned 1 the second time). Probably if I had to choose I would say Singapore, but the flight generally was better. I would definitely recommend the way we did it the second time, which was fly out of Heathrow on a night flight (10pm or something I think it was), get to Singapore and stop in the transit hotel there and then get the second leg out of Singapore so that you arrive in Oz in the early evening. The break in Singapore was fantastic. It was great to have a shower, eats and bed after the long first leg of the journey. There are things to do there, like playgrounds for the children which was great to let them run off some steam. We left Singapore to arrive in Sydney early evening. By the time we got out of passport control/collected bags/quarantine/collected hire car and driven to hotel, we ordered a room service meal, had a lovely long hot bath and then went to bed. Vaguely aware of our youngest 'zorbing' round the room in her pop-up travel cot at one point in the night (when we woke up it was upside down!). Then we all woke up at normal getting up time ready to face the day! It was great!

The A380 flies to Singapore from Heathrow, not sure what the plane to Perth would be. There are some economy seats on the upper deck of the A380 - we sat there and it was great. I think there were 10 or 11 rows of economy.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Just avoid B.A. and you'll be fine!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Now you see I'd say BA over Qantas anytime!

Emirates have the best lugguage allowance for economy at 30 kg.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
Just avoid B.A. and you'll be fine!

Totally agree with that. We flew Sydney to Heathrow on a 747 it was so cramped compared to the A380 & they hardly fed us and we had to ask for drinks due to them not offering.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Went with BA on a 777 and it was really good. I wouldnt worry about stopping over for a night for the child, s/he really wont give two hoots and will probably be in better shape than you are at the end of it all. Get it all over and done with in one hit.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:51 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore has withdrawn the 747 from LHR now. They only use the 380 to Singapore or the 77W which both have the new economy. The A330 into BNE has the new economy product too.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

The air bus 380 only flys to Sydney at the mo with singapore airlines. And I doubt we will be in any upper deck as we are going economy.
Sorry I only look at flights to Sydney as this is the airport I use, and yes you can go on the Upper Deck if you are economy, business and first class is always at the front of the plane, I thing there are some first class upstairs (not sure) but both my husband and I fly economy and have been on the upper deck. Gotta get in quick as there are not so many seats, but if you book online with Singapore Airlines you can choose your seat when you book, just go onto the seat selection page and scroll throught the picture of the plane and pic your seat (Go to SeatGuru website to see planes and their seating layouts)
Old Jun 18th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

The cheapest?
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

crikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the rough

Singapore for sure, the Airbus 380 is absolutely huge, the shear amount of people boarding takes time.
In my experience upper deck has a section of economy which makes boarding etc easy because you board with the first/business class lot and is quiet,

That said on the main deck you want to go for the first section of economy ( I will have to get you the seat row numbers) because that is so quiet my wife thought we had landed at one point during the flight.

To sum up Singapores a380's are the way to go they offer plenty of space, are comfortable, the service/food entertainment etc is excellent & we did the trip with kids in one haul (2 hours in Singapore which was no problem) there and back & my 4 year old asked the NEXT DAY when we could go on a plane again!
1 sleep & the journeys forgotten anyway.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 12:02 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I love the 777s and we're going on the 777LR out of Perth with Emirates with the top of the line entertainment system.

Any plane that doesn't break up in the ITCZ is fine by me.