Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

VAT refund scheme

VAT refund scheme

Old Jun 17th 2009, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

hopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant future
Default VAT refund scheme

The VAT refund scheme says that the it doesn't apply to freight and the goods have to be with you at the airport. I have treated myself to something from Bose, but it will be in the container as too heavy to carry. However Bose gave me a VAT refund receipt to give to Duty free office at the airport.

My question is: - "Has anyone tried to reclaim VAT at the airport on goods in their container and were you successful?"

I am aware that GST will be due over a certain amount on import to Oz.

Many thanks
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

hopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant future
Default Re: VAT refund scheme

I am being a bit naughty and bumping this up, but only because I rather stupidly posted in when Oz was in bed and it is really aimed at the oz audience more than the uk one.
sorry and thanks.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hopalong
I am being a bit naughty and bumping this up, but only because I rather stupidly posted in when Oz was in bed and it is really aimed at the oz audience more than the uk one.
sorry and thanks.
When I returned from a quick trip to the UK in March I handed over a few receipts at the landside VAT reclaim counter in heathrow terminal 4. They didn't ask to see any of the things that I was claiming for.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks steve, I guess no harm in trying and claiming ignorance, after all I am taking them abroad, just not with me.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks steve, I guess no harm in trying and claiming ignorance, after all I am taking them abroad, just not with me.
I'd definitely try it - you've got nothing to lose, have you?

We did this once in Canada. Checked in our suitcases, then trotted off to their version of the VAT refund office (forgotten what they call VAT in Canada). They wanted to see the goods (which were in the checked-in suitcases), because they said we might have given them to Canadian relatives/friends as presents. We don't have any Canadian relies or friends but of course couldn't prove this. After a bit of arguing we got the refund .
Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

The VAT refund scheme says that the it doesn't apply to freight and the goods have to be with you at the airport. I have treated myself to something from Bose, but it will be in the container as too heavy to carry. However Bose gave me a VAT refund receipt to give to Duty free office at the airport.

My question is: - "Has anyone tried to reclaim VAT at the airport on goods in their container and were you successful?"

I am aware that GST will be due over a certain amount on import to Oz.

Many thanks

When we turned up at the VAT desk at Gatwick, we had bags and bags of stuff, because we thought we had to show each and every item. they just asked if it was leaving the country with us, didnt' bother checking and that was that. just be mindful as well that the VAT form is filled out correctly. One of ours wasn't, and we couldn't get a refund straight away, had to send off for it.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:47 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

We turned up at Heathrow T4 in May with all the associated paperwork from the retailer but the item packed in checked in luggage since it was LIQUID and more than 100ml - only to be told "Sorry - you need to show us the goods to get the refund" - the guy then ripped up the paperwork we had and handed it back to us...

I am now convinced that the VAT refund is a mythological creature that is only actually viable in a perfect theoretical world. Its too hard to actually claim it!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
We turned up at Heathrow T4 in May with all the associated paperwork from the retailer but the item packed in checked in luggage since it was LIQUID and more than 100ml - only to be told "Sorry - you need to show us the goods to get the refund" - the guy then ripped up the paperwork we had and handed it back to us...

I am now convinced that the VAT refund is a mythological creature that is only actually viable in a perfect theoretical world. Its too hard to actually claim it!
It's a bit late now, but if you have stuff in your checked luggage, you need to go to the VAT refund desk before security.

In Terminal 4, the landside VAT refund desk is just to the right of the entrance to security.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:11 pm
kjj
Forum Regular

kjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to all

Hi,
Does anyone know if the VAT refund scheme can be used before I become resident in Australia? i.e say I buy a new laptop a couple of weeks before I emigrate, can I claim the VAT back?
KJJ
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kjj
Hi,
Does anyone know if the VAT refund scheme can be used before I become resident in Australia? i.e say I buy a new laptop a couple of weeks before I emigrate, can I claim the VAT back?
KJJ
Yes, so long as the retailer you buy the laptop from is in one of the VAT refund schemes or processes the refund themselves.

We bought wedding rings in the UK about 4 weeks before we emigrated and claimed the VAT back (processed directly by the retailed) when we left.

Cheers

Steve