Which Airline?

Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:07 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had to pick an airline which one would it be?

1) Singapore
2) Emirates
3) BA
4) QANTAS

With the first two you should get to use the new A380 at some part of the journey which gives you a little more room in economy compared to the other options. I have found the service on Singapore to be slightly more consistent than Emirates but prefer the entertainment system on Emirates. I have nothing bad to say about BA its just the overall experience is average. QANTAS is the only airline where I thought I was not going to make my destination. After a 24 hour delay for engine repairs the damn bird shook, vibrated, rocked and rolled its way to LA making some noises I have never heard on a plane before (but other than that journey they have been average).

Cathay is certainly causing some discussion at the moment in our office and on various boards with its new non reclining seat it has introduced.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

tramway will become famous soon enoughtramway will become famous soon enough

Thanks all, really appreciate your help

I too have never had prob with Qantas, so long since I flew with Malaysian, Singapore and Thai I can't rightly rem but Cathay Pacific do seem to be the cheapest in every search.

So at mo its prob between Malaysian & Cathay Pacific price wise anybody else used either of them?
Have they both got TV in seatbacks as I recall Thai didn't years ago?

Thanks again
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tramway
Thanks all, really appreciate your help

I too have never had prob with Qantas, so long since I flew with Malaysian, Singapore and Thai I can't rightly rem but Cathay Pacific do seem to be the cheapest in every search.

So at mo its prob between Malaysian & Cathay Pacific price wise anybody else used either of them?
Have they both got TV in seatbacks as I recall Thai didn't years ago?

Thanks again
I'd go for Cathay. Flown with both a couple of times, the service and the food/drink on Cathay far exceeded Malaysian.

Originally Posted by TrickyTree

Cathay is certainly causing some discussion at the moment in our office and on various boards with its new non reclining seat it has introduced.
That would be enough to sway me. Having spent numerous flights with people in front refusing to put their seats up for meals, or putting them down aain as soon as the crew leave, I would LOVE to be on a flight with non-reclining seats. It also makes it far easier to get in and out of your own seat during a flight if the seat in front isn't back so far you nearly have someones head in your lap.

And before anyone asks - no, I don't recline my own seat!

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 5th 2010 at 9:16 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:14 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Yup...lots of people seem to have an issue with the new Cathay seats.

I'd have no problem flying with any of Singapore, Malaysian, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, BA, Qantas. All much of a muchness, I think Malaysian & Emirates have the most legroom, Emirates probably the narrowest seats though on a lot of flights.

I like Thai service but the Thailand to UK flights still have no seat back TV.

Virgin Atlantic economy I find particularly claustrophobic....and I don't need much legroom....so I'd probably give that a miss.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Singapore Airlines.

New planes, polite staff, nice stop over, beat the rest easy.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

We always try to fly with Singapore because of the great service, comfy seats, good safety record, get to stop in Singapore which I love and just overall the best airline we've flown with!

Malaysian are good but I found their seats uncomfortable so that would be our second choice because we like KL too as a stopover.

Cathay, I've only done once years ago and not to Oz but they were pretty good but I've never found a cheap flight with them.

Emirates...is only nice if you get Biz Class but then that is no where near as good as SIA! I find their service very hit and miss, sometimes I've waited so long to get fed. Plus I once spent 7 hours in Dubai airport and nearly died of boredom - give me Changi T3 anyday!

Qantas....erm....have done one long flight from MEL to SIN and was so glad to get off. No leg rests, so my little legs were dangling, not good for poss DVTs - the pre dinner drink was a bottle of water, they forgot my main course, lots of niggly little things which I felt glad I wasn't going all the way to London with them.

BA - did London to Singapore once with them and it wasn't a great cabin experience although I would say in a crisis I'd like a BA pilot at the helm!

I usually love flying but now we are just doing the Oz/UK route I'm finding it more and more tiresome so I'm happy to pay a little extra for comfort these days. Can't wait for the day when I can afford Biz Class with private lounge, no bundling with the masses to get on and off....ooo would be sooo nice!

If only they could make T3 at Heathrow a little more welcoming as well, the baggage hall is such a depressing place!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I've only flown with Singapore and Etihad. Both fairly decent airlines, Etihad being the cheaper one though.

Singapore has better food, slightly better service and better looking staff. Leg room seems to be the same on every flight to me, ie not enough. Singapore airport is gorgeous though and worth stopping to see.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

tramway will become famous soon enoughtramway will become famous soon enough

Thanks, Twice when we flew with Qantas the plane was nearly empty so could stretch out.
Unfortunately price wise this time they are not competitive so for Economy everything seems to point to Cathay, Malaysian or Singapore.

Any recent expereinces on those esp with baggage allowance?

Thanks again.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 11:31 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yup...lots of people seem to have an issue with the new Cathay seats.
It does seem to polarise opinion to either 'I love it' or 'I hate it' with the later coming out on top in my office.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice
Default Re: Which Airline?

Originally Posted by MrsE
Hi

Your views appreciated on which airlines are good/bad and why please
The Mrs and myself have done London to Sydney and Sydney to London twice in the past six months......

Singapore Airlines - amazing value and service, brand new A380, A+ A+
Qantas - ok, bit over-priced, but not too bad really
BA - you get what you pay for, bad service and a plane that was older than me!

Have also done Emirates in the past - great service, new planes, ok value for money.........don't like the short flight to Dubai and then epic length journey to Aus though.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 2:24 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

FAR too much fuss made about the difference between airlines if you ask me.

Look at the prices, look at the timetables - pick whichever suits you best.
Whever happens you will:

1) Be bored
2) Be cramped
3) Have the possibility of unpleasant passengers in your vicinity
4) Have to eat without using your elbows
5) Have to deal with long queueues at airport security

My tip - to make in flight entertainment less arduous (and to make the entire flight more pleasant) spend some hard earned cash on noise-cancelling headphones (decent ones that cost at least 100GBP)- they are worth their weight in GOLD!!!

..don't like the short flight to Dubai and then epic length journey to Aus though.
..and this differs from the epic journey to SIN followed by the short flight to Australia how exactly? Its all much of a muchness really
Old Jan 6th 2010, 2:48 am
Just Joined

Mickinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I fly regularly between Australia & the UK and have flown a few airlines. I will avoid Qantas and BA as best I can as I have never had a good flight with either and IMO they don't seem to want to deal with young families, plus using Qantas points is virtually impossible but that's another story.
Singapore are great with kids and I use them regularly, plus always seem to get the kids meals right and are relatively accommodating when it comes to dealing with bored kids. I have also started using Emirates and find them very good, apart from one flight on an older aircraft where the seat design must have been an after thought, but generally a good experience.
As mentioned though, flying is a generally uncomfortable experience in cattle class no matter who you fly.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

BA and Emirates are the ones I have had the least pleasant experiences with.

BA had no tv, lights or aircon for the entire duration of the trip - that was really terrible.

Emirates gave me mouldy sandwiches and lost my luggage. Also I dont like Dubai airport

Obviously both are subjective and I only had problems one way on each of them. The other part of the trip both times was fine.

I do like Singapore, they seem to be very pleasant and have the best airport, which in my opinion makes a difference for your stop over.

Malaysia are also nice, but not such a good airport.

I normally choose my flights based either on shortest overall travel time, or on cheapest flight
Old Jan 6th 2010, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

[

..and this differs from the epic journey to SIN followed by the short flight to Australia how exactly? Its all much of a muchness really[/QUOTE]

Differs by approximately an extra 2 hours. its about a 14 hour flight from Dubai to Brisbane compared to about 12 hours from London to Singapore. 14 hours is a long time to sit on an aircraft. Trust me I've done it.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:21 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>My tip - to make in flight entertainment less arduous (and to make the entire flight more pleasant) spend some hard earned cash on noise-cancelling headphones (decent ones that cost at least 100GBP)- they are worth their weight in GOLD!!!<<

Agreed: well worthwhile. I've done hundreds of flights with them and they make a big difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.