Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Air Conditioning - How much to run?

Air Conditioning - How much to run?

Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

German Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Air Conditioning - How much to run?

Hi all -

Does anyone know how much it costs (approximately) to keep adomestic air-conditioning system running for say, 1 hour? We're in the middle of a heatwave here in Adelaide - up to yesterday we had 3 consecutive days over 40 deg C and today its 38. We've had the air-con on a fair few hours over the last few days and just now I've looked in the meter cupboard and the wheel was going round like the clappers! I'm now dreading the next electric bill!

It's a 3 bedroom house. Would anyone have a rough idea?
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:27 am
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice
Default Re: Air Conditioning - How much to run?

Originally Posted by German Dave
Hi all -

Does anyone know how much it costs (approximately) to keep adomestic air-conditioning system running for say, 1 hour? We're in the middle of a heatwave here in Adelaide - up to yesterday we had 3 consecutive days over 40 deg C and today its 38. We've had the air-con on a fair few hours over the last few days and just now I've looked in the meter cupboard and the wheel was going round like the clappers! I'm now dreading the next electric bill!

Depends on the size of it and whether it is a normal stop start machine or inverter. Look for the input current on the label which should be on the box outdoors.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:31 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Write down the current meter reading, then take it again in an hours time. You will now know how many units you are using per hour. Find an old bill and look up how much you are charged per unit.
Your cooling costs are going to depend on how well you home is insulated, the age/condition/efficiency of the AC unit, how much your energy supplier charges, amongst many many other factors.
A simple bit of math will put your mind at rest (or send you to an early grave ).

Second meter reading - first meter reading * cost per unit

Hi all -

Old Jan 1st 2008, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit warm isn't it?

We've had ours on since last week non stop - I'm dreading my bill too, but it shouldn't be too bad as I pay $50 a fortnight, so when the bill comes I only have to make up the difference.

I wouldn't worry too much, the temps should be down to the high 20's from Sunday. It's very unusual to get more than one or two days of 40+ in a row.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 4:04 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all -

Work it out yourself by taking a meter reading at the beginning of the hour and then at the end of the hour.

Use the workings on your bill and just insert the new readings
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
It's a bit warm isn't it?

We've had ours on since last week non stop - I'm dreading my bill too, but it shouldn't be too bad as I pay $50 a fortnight, so when the bill comes I only have to make up the difference.

I wouldn't worry too much, the temps should be down to the high 20's from Sunday. It's very unusual to get more than one or two days of 40+ in a row.
Wendy, just been watching our weather forecast for the next week. It's going up to 39c and 40c next Monday and Tuesday...so you might get it again a few days later (or in my case>>)
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:28 am
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
Wendy, just been watching our weather forecast for the next week. It's going up to 39c and 40c next Monday and Tuesday...so you might get it again a few days later (or in my case>>)
And it's only 27 here in Brisbane !!!!
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iceman
And it's only 27 here in Brisbane !!!!
I've noticed Brissy has been having around 27c for quite some days now
On Boxing Day it reached 44.3 here in Perth
You would think after 36 years I would be used to it
Going 'home' to Adelaide in 3 weeks to watch some of the Tour Down Under.
I remember a few years ago when I watched the fifth stage...Willunga/Willunga...the start/finish line was outside my cottage
It was 45c and the bottoms of my feet were burning and then I found myself stuck...my thongs had melted on the bitumen