Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

air conditioners

air conditioners

Old Aug 28th 2005, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future
Default air conditioners

hi all - bit of advice required

we have just got a federation house - ceilings are 12 1/2 ft high - they have the big ceiling fans but unfortunately they make me ill (dont ask! )
so we were thinking about getting air con - being out of the perth metro area we cant get anyone to come up here - well not at least the companies that do all the special offers the house needs quite a lot of work - bathrooms /kitchen etc so we dont wanna blow a huge amount on stuff that isnt needed
we will probably have to get the other stuff done before we have the air con fitted - so we know how much money we have left
we were looking at the portable air con / heaters - has anybody got any advice on what makes to go for or stay away from???
would we need one for each room ? or are they really not worth getting & we would be better off with a load of oscillating fans
or due to the height of the ceilings we wouldnt really need any other air con

any help appreciated
pootle26
Old Aug 28th 2005, 10:53 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: air conditioners

A question for Stan the man me finx.....cept he's a lady......but her hubby is an aircon engineer

May be out your way sometime.
My company is opening a mine at Northam.......well about 10k outside I think. You a wheat farmer or summit ?
Old Aug 28th 2005, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bix
A question for Stan the man me finx.....cept he's a lady......but her hubby is an aircon engineer

May be out your way sometime.
My company is opening a mine at Northam.......well about 10k outside I think. You a wheat farmer or summit ?
no im not a wheat farmer !

where abouts in the mine gonna be?
is that the kaolin plant?
my hubby was talking about that yesterday - the manager is from cornwall - near where we used to live

anyway ttfn

pootle26
Old Aug 28th 2005, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here!!!

Ste says it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. You can go for the expensive and reputable makes or go for the cheaper ones but everything comes with a 5 yr warranty now anyway.

There's no such thing as portable really-if it's evaporative ones you mean, they aren't worth using where we are due to not being 'strong' enough to do the job - v.hot up 'ere - what's the heat like in Perth on a hot day? If the heats the same you could be better off getting window air con units, can remove them when necessary, take them with you when you move, just as expensive as getting a split system installed though and are quite bulky - you can just buy it and fit it yourself though, no need to call an air con guy out to do it for you.

Oscillating fans just circulate the air, they don't cool it down, so you'll still be hot when it's hot (if that makes sense) .

Yes, you will need something in every room which you require cooling.

Hope that helps and we haven't confused you further!!!
Old Aug 28th 2005, 11:08 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pootle26
no im not a wheat farmer !

where abouts in the mine gonna be?
is that the kaolin plant?
my hubby was talking about that yesterday - the manager is from cornwall - near where we used to live

anyway ttfn

pootle26
YES !!!

He's called Steve.
Not a true Cornishman but we are considering his visa application.
Actually he tried to bribe us with Kernow car stickers but we weren't having any of that.
I was born and bred in clay country.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bix
YES !!!

He's called Steve.
Not a true Cornishman but we are considering his visa application.
Actually he tried to bribe us with Kernow car stickers but we weren't having any of that.
I was born and bred in clay country.

:scared: omg!!!!!!!!

what a small world it is after all
we came from near bude on the cornish coast ! athough originally from sussex so were not true kernow people either !

my hubby deals with business machines , faxes, computers etc so you can tell steve that we will give him a good deal on any items he may require
please feel free to pass our details on & we would be happy to give him a guided tour & help him settle - a friendly face & all that & if you do come over you will have to put in for a few
ttfn
pootle26

Last edited by pootle26; Aug 28th 2005 at 11:29 am.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks for the reply steandleigh

it is a bit confusing! it does get quite hot up here - several days of 45 degrees in march this year - so we will need something i think i think we will be better off getting a ducted system that would be used as heating too - will the height of the ceilings be a hinderance ?
there are only 2 companies in northam & i have been told to steer clear of one of them so thats not so good
i suppose also i am worried about spending over the odds for an air con system - because i have no idea what size i would need - i have visions of ending up with a really expensive one that is far too big for what we really need just because someone has told me we need it
IYSWIM

anyway thanks for your help

pootle26
Old Aug 28th 2005, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pootle26
thanks for the reply steandleigh

it is a bit confusing! it does get quite hot up here - several days of 45 degrees in march this year - so we will need something i think i think we will be better off getting a ducted system that would be used as heating too - will the height of the ceilings be a hinderance ?
there are only 2 companies in northam & i have been told to steer clear of one of them so thats not so good
i suppose also i am worried about spending over the odds for an air con system - because i have no idea what size i would need - i have visions of ending up with a really expensive one that is far too big for what we really need just because someone has told me we need it
IYSWIM

anyway thanks for your help

pootle26
The ceiling height shouldn't be a prob - just depends what roof space there is. Bear in mind that dudcted air con is very expensive in comparison to just having split systems on the wall in each room.

Typical low set 4 bed house, air con in each room (splits) costs about $8000-$10,000 - roughly. Ducted - add another $4000-$5000.

There should be some sort of reference on the net to guide you with what size of units you need for the size of each room. Will have a look and get back to you.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 11:37 am
Bix
da Bonehead

I'll defo tell him.

.....and if I get there the drink is on