Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Agony aunts/uncles needed

Agony aunts/uncles needed

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Agony aunts/uncles needed

Just feeling a little blue today, and not sure why. Just though I'd get it all off my chest.

We got our visa grants last week and I felt, well, nothing really, not anything, not a sausage not elated, not sad, nothing. Is this normal. I know I want to go so why do I feel, nothing. Do you think it could be to do with the house not selling. Could it be that because we can't do anything at the moment it doesn't feel real.

Talking house. We had a buyer, 3 house chain us at top. bottom fell out, back to square one. Our buyers however are desperate for our house. See the woman at school and she keeps saying I really want your house, even been to her house to talk about it. Good offer. She is still getting lots of viewers for hers, lots of interested parties (at least 3 very keen) but they have property to sell. Same old coconut. We are keen to get moving, but don't know what to do. Should we drop price to must have and get out or wait for a few weeks. We haven't had any viewings for a few weeks, mainly because we were sold first, and then because the agent isn't pushing, he has a buyer just needs to sell hers (also on with them) to get nice tidy commision. Whats a girl to do.

Believe me the visa was the easy bit.

I know a lot of you have much bigger worries, but I do feel better for a little rant.

Sorry
Jo
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 3:20 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: Agony aunts/uncles needed

Nothing like a good rant sometimes

I`m sure all will be fine. If you have someone desperate for your house then you are at least part-way there. You don`t have to be in Aus by a certain date do you? So chill
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
Just feeling a little blue today, and not sure why. Just though I'd get it all off my chest.

We got our visa grants last week and I felt, well, nothing really, not anything, not a sausage not elated, not sad, nothing. Is this normal. I know I want to go so why do I feel, nothing. Do you think it could be to do with the house not selling. Could it be that because we can't do anything at the moment it doesn't feel real.

Talking house. We had a buyer, 3 house chain us at top. bottom fell out, back to square one. Our buyers however are desperate for our house. See the woman at school and she keeps saying I really want your house, even been to her house to talk about it. Good offer. She is still getting lots of viewers for hers, lots of interested parties (at least 3 very keen) but they have property to sell. Same old coconut. We are keen to get moving, but don't know what to do. Should we drop price to must have and get out or wait for a few weeks. We haven't had any viewings for a few weeks, mainly because we were sold first, and then because the agent isn't pushing, he has a buyer just needs to sell hers (also on with them) to get nice tidy commision. Whats a girl to do.

Believe me the visa was the easy bit.

I know a lot of you have much bigger worries, but I do feel better for a little rant.

Sorry
Jo
feeling a little low myself today....maybe there is something in the air....as far as not feeling anything about your visa....well don't read too much into that.....sometimes i guess idoesn't hit untill you're actually there living it......trying to sell your house is difficult ours goes up next month and i know it aint gonna be straightforward.....the best thing to do is take a little time out from the whole process....take the weekend off....go shopping as a family spend the day day doing somthing altogether without mentioning the a word once.....after all you were real people before you applied for your visa.....with interests and conversations other than australia.....chin up...we all feel blue..like i say i do today as well
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 3:27 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Rant away, sometimes it's the only thing to do and if you get trollish comments just ignore.

It is perfectly normal to feel flat after getting the visa. You put all your time and energy and money into getting the thing, once you've got it, what do you do next.

Selling the house is a pain in the neck and you have to rely on other people. You can't really stand outside and drag everyone in and force them to buy it however much you want to.

If your buyer is really keen, don't lower the price it won't help. You have until October to be out in Aus. Try and relax a bit - ha bloody ha!

Usual ramblings from Aunty Penny
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 3:29 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

I must be a clone of you so no good as an agony aunt - sorry! But see if some karma helps......

We got our visas about 6 weeks ago and it felt fantastic on the day but then it sinks in that you are just in the next stage of limbo land - waiting for the house to sell.

Yes, the visa was the easy bit, but at least we have got until 1st October before we will need to validate so there's hope for us yet.....

Keep your chin up - we'll be laughing when we eventually get out there.

Binbird

Sorry - need to spread karma but I'll get some to you as soon as I can.......

Last edited by binbird; Mar 2nd 2005 at 3:31 pm. Reason: addition
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

Hi jo,sorry, i but i think an offer doesnt mean anything unless the person thats made the offer has a buyer for their property,your agent should still be sending people round.How long has your house been on the market?maybe you should change your agent or go with multi agents,give em a boot up the arse

good luck,tracey.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your kind words, and not a troll to be seen. I think maybe a nice big sherry and a weepy movie maybe in order, perhaps a good cry will get it out of my system. Yes I know sherry is for old people, but I lllllove it.

Cheers Jo
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Aussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really nice

It all sounds like sensible advice, try & stay focused on everyday life, it'll all come good in the end. What's a few months in a whole lifetime?

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 6:41 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
Thanks for all your kind words, and not a troll to be seen. I think maybe a nice big sherry and a weepy movie maybe in order, perhaps a good cry will get it out of my system. Yes I know sherry is for old people, but I lllllove it.

Cheers Jo
Keep your chin up mate!! Selling a house can be a bloody stressful time and sometimes when you want something so badly (like a visa) you get wrapped up in wanting it that when you finally get it, it`s seems a bit of an anti climax (an is that it type of thing)
Will send you some karma, just rememberyou are not alone out there you have us horrible lot
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Theresa, Ian & Tim is on a distinguished road

We have our house and shop on the market at the moment not one single viewer yet and its been on the market for a month. I'm going to go multi agency and advertise in Daltons Weekly. When we lived in Aylesbury 2 years ago we had exactly the same situation where we had a buyer who really wanted our house but their buyer fell through so we decided to put the house back on the market. If the other people sell their house then they can still buy your house. Sometimes you have to be selfish and do whats best for you.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 7:28 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Im in exactly the same boat as you... my visa was granted the day before yours...yesterday when the letter arrived I felt kinda numb...And i have to say I did think well thats the easy part over now for the hard part.selling the tartin house(ive had it on the net and in papers for the last month or there abouts) and all the other things involved...i dont know where to start...chin up...all the hard work WILL be worth it in the end...and then you'll have time to fell well happy and pleased with yourself..

all the best Pep
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough

We were in exactly the same position as you. We accepted an offer last July, took our house off the market, they then couldn't sell their house. Our visa was granted end of Dec 2004 and we put the house back on the market. We kept up communications with the original offerees. About a month back we sat down and thought about our priorities and decided that getting to Oz sooner was more important than getting an extra £10000. We rang our original offerees and asked if reducing the price would enable them to reduce theirs and therefore sell. We did this, they had a genuine offer a week later with the condition that the sale went through in 6 weeks. We booked the tickets yesterday and fly on 22nd March.

And the moral is ... reducing can work as long as the offeree passes the reduction onto their own sale price.

Hope it works out for you,

Rachel.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:53 pm
Raindancer

Athena is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure it's the same, but the moment I got the news I had been granted the visa, I felt nothing too! As if it wasn't such a big deal... or better, as if hadn't actually happened!!!

I think it might be the fact that I have waited for this visa for such a long time that now I have not to wait for it anymore... it's a bit of a shock! A mix of disbelief and tension relaxing, I guess... only after some time did the reality of it dawn on me... and then I felt some emotion, but still, not the "I'm-going-to-faint" :scared: rush of blood to the feet as I had expected...

On one side I'm glad I didn't faint before my co-workers (), but on the other I would have thought I would have been more emotional... or maybe I just haven't fully realised that it I'm *really* going...
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good news I think. After having a very blue evening, have come up with a cunning plan. Needs a little work but here goes.

Are buyers offed 226k for our house
theres offer for theirs is 172k.

They buy ours we buy theirs. Releases 54k equity, enough to pay off a bit of the morg, debts, credit cards, shipping, dog, cat, us and enough left over to start our life. Rent out the house or sell. They were getting lots of viewings. Could work. If i was honest, I don't think we could get such a good offer again and their house is more saleable. Also will reduce our price by 50k their house by 50K, less commision, less stamp duty. We will still have to pay commision, hopefully they won't so we could negotiate half their saving as well.

What do you think