Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

age of children starting school?

age of children starting school?

Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of
Default Re: age of children starting school?

Originally Posted by lossiepickle
am all confuzzled!! we plan to be in oz 2009 my wee man will be 10 by the time we get there he was born aug 99, he will be going into primary 6 if we stayed here so what will he be in when we move ?

my youngest will be 4 when we move his dob is sept 05 what happens to him lolol

cheers
I am also confused
We hope to go late 2008/early 2009. My daughter will be half way thru 3rd class (8) and my son will be half way thru junior infants (5). They were born in April and May. What would the situation be for them starting school....
I can't for the life of me follow what is being said
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:54 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
Congrats on your visa. Where in Lancashire are you from?
I've PM'd you. Hope you don't mind?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:02 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helena39
I am also confused
We hope to go late 2008/early 2009. My daughter will be half way thru 3rd class (8) and my son will be half way thru junior infants (5). They were born in April and May. What would the situation be for them starting school....
I can't for the life of me follow what is being said
Would be easier to answer if you'd tell us where in Oz you plan to move to? Different situations in different states....
In WA if your daughter was born April 99, she would go to year 5 next year (starting Feb 2009), if your son was born May 2002, he would go to year 2 next year.... again, this is in WA.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:03 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lossiepickle
am all confuzzled!! we plan to be in oz 2009 my wee man will be 10 by the time we get there he was born aug 99, he will be going into primary 6 if we stayed here so what will he be in when we move ?

my youngest will be 4 when we move his dob is sept 05 what happens to him lolol

cheers
Which state do you plan to move to? This would make it easier to answer...
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by teza
Would be easier to answer if you'd tell us where in Oz you plan to move to? Different situations in different states....
In WA if your daughter was born April 99, she would go to year 5 next year (starting Feb 2009), if your son was born May 2002, he would go to year 2 next year.... again, this is in WA.
Hi,

We plan to move to Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast. Lauren was born on April 2000 and Daniel May 2003. Thanks for your help
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

lossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nice

Originally Posted by teza
Which state do you plan to move to? This would make it easier to answer...
hopfully brisbane /gold coast

thanx
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Queensland's cut off date is 30 June.

So a child born April 2000 is turning 8 this April and would be in year 3 this year 2008 so year 4 in 2009.

May 2003 turning 5 this year would be in Prep which is the first year of full time school in 2008 so year 1 in 2009

Lossie, a child born in August 1999 will be turning 9 in August this year - if you arrived tomorrow he would be in year 3 so beginning of the school year in January 2009 he will be in year 4.

September 2005 means that the child will be turning 3 this year, he will turn 4 after the cut off date for preschool in 2009 so he will be in preschool (part time school) from January 2010 and full time school in 2011.

Remember that the school year runs from late January (usually a few days after Australia day) through to December in all states.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quoll
Queensland's cut off date is 30 June.

So a child born April 2000 is turning 8 this April and would be in year 3 this year 2008 so year 4 in 2009.

May 2003 turning 5 this year would be in Prep which is the first year of full time school in 2008 so year 1 in 2009

Lossie, a child born in August 1999 will be turning 9 in August this year - if you arrived tomorrow he would be in year 3 so beginning of the school year in January 2009 he will be in year 4.

September 2005 means that the child will be turning 3 this year, he will turn 4 after the cut off date for preschool in 2009 so he will be in preschool (part time school) from January 2010 and full time school in 2011.

Remember that the school year runs from late January (usually a few days after Australia day) through to December in all states.
Thanks for making sense of that for me, much appreciated
Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:14 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Location: Originally Cornwall, 12 years in the Middle East, NSW now
sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light

Howabout NSW?

daughter is 8 on June 15th - she's currently in Year 3 here in the UAE.

Will she just continue to do Year 3 in Oz until December instead of June (we also finish in June here, as in the UK)

TY in advance
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah n Andy will become famous soon enoughSarah n Andy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by helena39
Thanks for making sense of that for me, much appreciated
Hi, Just wandering if anyone can answer a question for me re: my daughter who will be 4 in May (D.O.B-19/5/2004)
She will be starting school in the U.K in Sept (08) and we are hoping to emigrate to Melbourne in December.
Will she be able to continue schooling in Oz or will we have to take her out of school again til the following year (as in Oz terms she should not be starting until Jan 2010) so in effect, they would be starting her 1 complete year early as we wish her to start in Jan 2009).
Hope this makes sense....
My concern is that I do not want her to start school and then have to take her out once we arrive. Is there anyone out there in the same boat or has been through a similar situation?
I have contacted a couple of schools in the area that we are hoping to settle in and the Principal mentioned something about having to apply to the Vic education authority for "exemption" to their very strict rules of starting children the term after their 5th birthday".
Can anyone help please ?????? :curse:
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinderelle
Howabout NSW?

daughter is 8 on June 15th - she's currently in Year 3 here in the UAE.

Will she just continue to do Year 3 in Oz until December instead of June (we also finish in June here, as in the UK)

TY in advance
Yes, that is correct. She will be one of the youngest kids in the class.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sarah n Andy
Hi, Just wandering if anyone can answer a question for me re: my daughter who will be 4 in May (D.O.B-19/5/2004)
She will be starting school in the U.K in Sept (08) and we are hoping to emigrate to Melbourne in December.
Will she be able to continue schooling in Oz or will we have to take her out of school again til the following year (as in Oz terms she should not be starting until Jan 2010) so in effect, they would be starting her 1 complete year early as we wish her to start in Jan 2009).
Hope this makes sense....
My concern is that I do not want her to start school and then have to take her out once we arrive. Is there anyone out there in the same boat or has been through a similar situation?
I have contacted a couple of schools in the area that we are hoping to settle in and the Principal mentioned something about having to apply to the Vic education authority for "exemption" to their very strict rules of starting children the term after their 5th birthday".
Can anyone help please ?????? :curse:
They do have exemptions for gifted and talented though you may have to get an assessment done yourself. It looks as though they would consider IQ 130+ along with well developed literacy and numeracy skills (ie already reading and calculating).

You may have grounds for an exemption if she has already begun full time school elsewhere - I think that all states have an agreement that if a child has begun school in one state and then moves to another state where the cut off date is earlier then they will still enrol that child. We get it a lot here because NSW (which surrounds us) has a July cut off and we have an April cut off so parents often start their children in NSW schools then move them to ACT so they dont have to wait an extra year. They may consider that as being reasonable grounds, who knows! You could also try making a point that were you to return to UK (and they dont know if you will or not) she will be out of synch with her age peers and this would significantly disadvantage her.

It would be worth you contacting the Victorian department and not just the individual schools to check how strict they are. In ACT we are certainly quite strict about early entry as a general rule. I do know that non govt schools have a tendency to be a little more flexible about age at enrolment.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:32 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Location: Originally Cornwall, 12 years in the Middle East, NSW now
sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, that is correct. She will be one of the youngest kids in the class.

Yep like she is now - as long as she's not going back a year I'm fine with that. She's not a happy chicken, however, that we're hoping to stay here in the UAE and finish Year 3, then to go to Oz and have to do half the year again - bless.

Thank you so much for the confirmation quoll

Do I give you karma for such a prompt and appreciative answer?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah n Andy will become famous soon enoughSarah n Andy will become famous soon enough

They do have exemptions for gifted and talented though you may have to get an assessment done yourself. It looks as though they would consider IQ 130+ along with well developed literacy and numeracy skills (ie already reading and calculating).

You may have grounds for an exemption if she has already begun full time school elsewhere - I think that all states have an agreement that if a child has begun school in one state and then moves to another state where the cut off date is earlier then they will still enrol that child. We get it a lot here because NSW (which surrounds us) has a July cut off and we have an April cut off so parents often start their children in NSW schools then move them to ACT so they dont have to wait an extra year. They may consider that as being reasonable grounds, who knows! You could also try making a point that were you to return to UK (and they dont know if you will or not) she will be out of synch with her age peers and this would significantly disadvantage her.

It would be worth you contacting the Victorian department and not just the individual schools to check how strict they are. In ACT we are certainly quite strict about early entry as a general rule. I do know that non govt schools have a tendency to be a little more flexible about age at enrolment.
Many thanks for all the info quoll.
Very much appreciated.I'll contact the Victorian education dept and see what they have to say.
Thanks once again- it's always good to get a reply from someone who really knows their stuff !!!

Sarah x
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

CarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sinderelle
Yep like she is now - as long as she's not going back a year I'm fine with that. She's not a happy chicken, however, that we're hoping to stay here in the UAE and finish Year 3, then to go to Oz and have to do half the year again - bless.
Hi. Just be aware before you commit to a year group that, because of parental choice within the NSW system, depending on your area, your daughter may turn out to be, relative to others, younger than you expect and are used to (i.e. more than 12 months younger).

It's quite common for parents in your shoes to avoid their children being the youngest by starting them in Kindy a year later than they could. The teachers I've talked to see this as quite normal, even desirable, rather than an exceptional thing. (But interestingly they also talk about children having 'grown out of primary school' by the time they hit year 6.)

These children go through the whole system a year older than the official cut off dates might lead you to expect. And actual age doesn't seem to be taken into account when taking their various tests (including selective high school and HSC).

I would say (if you plan to stay in Australia) try not to focus too much on the year number. It's a different system here. Talk to the particular school about where, with your daughter's current age and existing school experience, she would fit in best. (Which may very likely be year 3.)
HTH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.