Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

age of children starting school?

age of children starting school?

Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:15 am
Just Joined

clarabe 82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default age of children starting school?

What age do children start school in oz? and when does the term start??

Can anyone help me?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

THORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to all
Default Re: age of children starting school?

I think they start a year after our children so they would be 5 years old rather than 4 years old.
I do know the new term begins in January in Oz but not sure what date.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:29 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Example. My daughter is currently in year 1 here in the UK dob Aug02, I have been told that if we were in Oz now she would only be in reception. My other daughter is due to start high school in Sept but if in Oz she would have only just started year 5 now Term starts end of Jan & cut off for dob is June sometime.
My little boy has been in nursery for 2 years as his dob is Oct when we get to Oz he'll have to do another year!! He's not a happy bunny :curse:
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:58 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Example. My daughter is currently in year 1 here in the UK dob Aug02, I have been told that if we were in Oz now she would only be in reception. My other daughter is due to start high school in Sept but if in Oz she would have only just started year 5 now Term starts end of Jan & cut off for dob is June sometime.
My little boy has been in nursery for 2 years as his dob is Oct when we get to Oz he'll have to do another year!! He's not a happy bunny :curse:
My daughter is the same age as your year 1 daughter. She is currently in pre-primary which is full time and is her second year of schooling, the first only being 2 days a week. I am assuming your elder daughter was born in July or August of 1997 as that would make her year 5 here right now, if she was born before July 1st 1997 then she would be year 6 now. The cut off is as you say June 30th.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarabe 82
What age do children start school in oz? and when does the term start??

Can anyone help me?
Each state is slightly different. Which state are you going to?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It's a minefield but nicely summarized here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Australia

All depends on the state and the cut off dates.

BTW the names of the school years are also different just to confuse you. In general, the second year of full time school is called Year 1!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:12 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
My daughter is the same age as your year 1 daughter. She is currently in pre-primary which is full time and is her second year of schooling, the first only being 2 days a week. I am assuming your elder daughter was born in July or August of 1997 as that would make her year 5 here right now, if she was born before July 1st 1997 then she would be year 6 now. The cut off is as you say June 30th.

Oh thats gr8 thanks. Eldest daughter is Nov96 so she'll be please to know she'll be in year 6 when we arrive. Thanks for that its made her day
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:37 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thats gr8 thanks. Eldest daughter is Nov96 so she'll be please to know she'll be in year 6 when we arrive. Thanks for that its made her day
Actually to throw another spanner (a good one) in your works your eldest will actually be in Year 7 this year. They changed the rules back then and anyone born in 1996 is a year ahead again. So in 2009 she will enter year 8 which is high school here in WA.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice

my daughter is 9 years old, 10 in august and is year 5, she started school here last nov and went into year 4, but had she been in the uk she would have started year 5 that sept.but instead started year 5 this following jan. and have been told that from this year, my now 3 year old will be starting school jan 2010, as her birthday is in august and misses the june cut off for her age, to start a year earlier.

kels x

Last edited by brissie-here-we-come; Feb 27th 2008 at 8:57 am. Reason: missed something
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

lossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nice

am all confuzzled!! we plan to be in oz 2009 my wee man will be 10 by the time we get there he was born aug 99, he will be going into primary 6 if we stayed here so what will he be in when we move ?

my youngest will be 4 when we move his dob is sept 05 what happens to him lolol

cheers
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:36 am
Living the dream

Actually to throw another spanner (a good one) in your works your eldest will actually be in Year 7 this year. They changed the rules back then and anyone born in 1996 is a year ahead again. So in 2009 she will enter year 8 which is high school here in WA.
FANTASTIC!

The day is getting better by the minute!
Got our visa granted today too!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice

what the hell are you doing on here with your new visa ? you should be down the nearest shop buying booze to celebrate !! congratulations
great feeling, remember to take some pics, we had the biggest smiles on our faces.

kels x
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:50 am
Living the dream

Originally Posted by brissie-here-we-come
what the hell are you doing on here with your new visa ? you should be down the nearest shop buying booze to celebrate !! congratulations
great feeling, remember to take some pics, we had the biggest smiles on our faces.

kels x
I would but my b****y car broke down yesterday & have no means of transport! Can't even get the kids to school!

Oh well I don't care now anyway i've got my visa & we can all stay in a celebrate!

The information i'm getting on here is fab today! Oh I love computers

I think i've lost the plot????
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:04 am
Gutter Gob!!

FANTASTIC!

The day is getting better by the minute!
Got our visa granted today too!
Congrats on your visa. Where in Lancashire are you from?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:12 am
Living the dream

Congrats on your visa. Where in Lancashire are you from?
Skelmersdale. Between Wigan & Liverpool

Where are you originally from?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.