Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

After five years, Australia is starting to grow on me...

After five years, Australia is starting to grow on me...

Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After five years, Australia is starting to grow on me...

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I have made a conscious decision never to refer to the UK as "home", I'm forever correcting people but it matters to me
Mr Bermudashorts still refers to his dad's home as "home". It drives me mad.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:55 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guest
You need to take it off Kiwi and set it to English.
That's very good is that, I hadn't noticed the NZ twang

I'lllll llllleave it in wellllsh for a whillllle. (rubbish joke, I know, standards ain't high today).
Old Jul 9th 2010, 10:41 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guest
You need to take it off Kiwi and set it to English.
I second Vim, very good indeed
Old Jul 10th 2010, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You're probably just desensitized. It seems like that feeling of relief once you have made the decision to move on is quite typical and it allows you to feel more positive about all the things that bug the heck out of you here but once you get to where you are going you will realize why you made the move.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 9:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I have made a conscious decision never to refer to the UK as "home", I'm forever correcting people but it matters to me

Q: "Do you miss home?"
A: "Nah, I'll be there in 3 hours"
etc,etc

It's laugh a minute in Vimsville.

I also cannot spell "conscious" without the aid of a spill chucker.
Completely agree. Well apart from the inability to spell conscious anyway.

Home is where 'we' are living. We were briefly homeless on the way over. That was odd. Never been without a set of keys before, felt very strange
Old Jul 11th 2010, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

If I talk about home (UK) then it would be in terms of the family home. A physical thing.

But not home for me.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

halfcamoflauge is on a distinguished road

We lived in oz for 5 yrs and we were settled to a point but something was missing, not too sure what it was but we did decide to move back to the uk. Been here now for 7months and the yearning of wanting to go back to oz is really bad, we all feel it. But the kids have settled into school now, (my 12 yr old will be in yr 8 this time, my 10yr old will be in her last yr of primary and i have a further 2 kids 5.5yrs and 2.5yrs) and now we are struggling when the time is right to go back over. There is never gonna be a right time. We like it here and its not all bad but we've had a taste of what we have had and to be honest we know where we'd rather be. Australia!!!!!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexleeson
I have lived in Oz for five years and have pretty much had an on-off thing about living here. Every year, I decide that we will leave the following year, but don't follow through.

Finally my wife and I are really planning to leave in 2012 and we are even doing up our garden to make it easier for the place to sell. My wife and I joke that once the gardnen is done it might be so nice we won't want to leave!

The funny thing is, now that we have put a time frame on leaving, I have started to enjoy being here and finally after 5 years, Australia is growing on me.

Has it taken anyone else over five years for Australia to finally grow on you?
Or has it started growing on you when you have the clear prospect of leaving?
Thats great!! Who know how you will end up feeling ovcer the next few years, but sometimes it is good to just give in to what your heart tells you, if Australia feel like home, so be it. (ie don't feel you have to go home just because you have been saying you would for years)