Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Africans in Brisbane

Africans in Brisbane

Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Africans in Brisbane

Originally Posted by criodain
Some Irish guys in Sydney had a running knife fight last week. One of them was killed. Nice to see them bringing their rich and diverse cultures with them !!

what's your point motorboater?
Spot on geezer
Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pusky123
As a number of people have already commented having a small number of people from different countries doesnt necessarily make a country more diverse.

Having a few people of ethnic chinese or polynesion origin who happen to have a range of nationalities isnt diverse.
One would be foolish to suggest otherwise unless one has a International Demographics Degree from USA{sorry cheap shot just hard to resist)
Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I simply refuse to accept that London is not one of the most diverse cities in the world. I live in an outer London borough. And my immediate neighbours include: Irish, African, Afro-Caribbean, Indian (subcontinent), South American Hispanic, American (US) and Chinese. Neighbours opposite include German, Polish and South African. All in a small terrace of houses. And this is not even Central London.

So not very diverse at all then?
Now arnt that just the truth'.Which borough do you live?
London is the world in one city.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Interesting reading here, and talk about twisting....

USA99 in his/her TWO posts has discussed the UK and its diversity, compared to other countries.
USA99 said "I won’t comment on the diversity of individual cities"

USA99's comments are being attacked because LONDON is diverse.

USA99 did not say that LONDON wasn't, it was the UK being mentioned.

Previous posts from Number 10(Mr Grumpy)made a statement Sydney is more diverse than London which began the debate on why that is not so.
No he/(USA 99)she did not say London was not, but also claims figures stating ethnicity within boroughs as not being a valid tool to measure diversity,says who??
In Britain it is valid ,also how outcome is measured in the case of diversity highly sus to my reckoning

Last edited by the troubadour; Nov 18th 2008 at 11:50 am. Reason: mistakes
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by James516
There are some confusing elements in this discussion, many of which stem from how you define 'diversity'.

One definition is that a country's diversity is measured by the number of different countries of birth of it's residents (one part of the 'Diversity Index' mentioned earlier). On this measure, it is hard to know if the UK or Australia, or indeed London or Sydney is more diverse - once you take embassies into account, many countries in the world (including the US, Australia and the UK) would have representation from more than 150 countries.

This is why the absolute number of countries is then divided by the population, giving Australia a diversity score greater than the UK. I'm not sure how the US keeps such a high ranking but there you have it.

Another way to measure diversity would be to look at the % of foreign-born residents in a country. Australia is clearly ahead of the UK on this measure, but the Sydney/London comparison would be a lot closer.

A third way, that I suspect some posters lean towards, is to look at the % of non-caucasian residents in a country, whether foreign- or native-born. On this measure, the UK is still probably just behind Australia (I think it's about 9% vs 12% but am not sure of the statistics or indeed if they are even collected), but London is probably ahead of Sydney.

Sorry to introduce some calm explanation - lets get back to ranting now
Now James 516 pray explain what has the number of embassies in any one country got to do with anything with the calmest of explanations, naturally.
Some serious confusion here(that being the case Canberra must be one of the centres of OZ diversity) You are correct on one point that being the
% of foreign born granted are more in OZ...but as for that proving diversity...come on half hail from United Kingdom(1,038,160)and New Zealand(400,000)
I guess it could be thought as diverse in some eyes having a Geordie plumber a Scouse electrician a Cockney mechanic and some one originally from Christchurch as a child minder but was not the diversity being refered to
Think i would remain ignorant perhaps to how USA crunches their data and presents outcomes if you know get what i mean.
Final point % of visible immigrants(as North Americans say)ie non whites,is but a part of the rich tapestry of diversity only and not the whole hog.

Last edited by the troubadour; Nov 18th 2008 at 11:47 am. Reason: mistakes
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:45 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

As the proud holder of a BA(Hons) Degree in International Relations, my opinion on this subject is therefore bound to be right and everyone else is wrong. London is more culturally diverse than Sydney but Australia more so than the UK, mainly because of the relatively high rural population in the UK who would run a mile at the sight of a black face. Having myself an African wife, I agree with the comment about being accepted in London, but try going to a pub in rural Wales...it's like the twilight zone. As for the UAE, yes 80% are indeed expats but 75% come from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh with most of the rest from the Philipines, UK, China and Russia. Not really a cultural diversity in my view.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Syedney
Booooooooooooooooring....Zzzzzzzzz

Thread should be removed...

Final score:

London 1 Sydney 1

London started brightly and took an early lead but as the match was coming to a close, and with the clock showing 89th minute, Sydney levelled the game.

When the ref looked up after the final whistle, he noticed that all the spectators, some of which were of Chinese descent, some others were referred to as "POMS", and some local Ozzzzzies, all had left the ground or had fallen asleep...

Ok?
.Far easier Syedney that you remove your self.after such a purile and infantile post.It is a bit like switching channels on a tv...dont like one show move to another.
Home and Away should be on soething to sharpen the intellect on.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
That makes it even more surprising to me if it was simply a normal sporting event.

G
Yes quite agree guess we shall live in ignorance to what it was all about but if it was a public beheading (as someone suggested)lets just hope it was a couple of chavs not needing to concern themselves with any future hair cuts.

Last edited by the troubadour; Nov 18th 2008 at 12:40 pm. Reason: mistake
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lionheart
As the proud holder of a BA(Hons) Degree in International Relations, my opinion on this subject is therefore bound to be right and everyone else is wrong. London is more culturally diverse than Sydney but Australia more so than the UK, mainly because of the relatively high rural population in the UK who would run a mile at the sight of a black face. Having myself an African wife, I agree with the comment about being accepted in London, but try going to a pub in rural Wales...it's like the twilight zone. As for the UAE, yes 80% are indeed expats but 75% come from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh with most of the rest from the Philipines, UK, China and Russia. Not really a cultural diversity in my view.
Lionheart fully endorse your comments...Many areas like rural Wales still in UK..Norfolk in my time not dissimilar(lived with Malaysian girl at time}plus numerous others
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OnTheMovvv
Top 20 Countries by Number of Languages Spoken
“While most countries have one or a handful of official or nationally recognized languages, there are typically groups of people residing in each country whose first language is something other than the nation's lingua franca. The numbers of such groups differ from country to country, and the size of these minority language "groups" can range from a single individual to millions of speakers.”

Top 20 Countries by Number of Languages Spoken
Data source: Ethnologue: Languages of the World, 15th ed. (2005)

Rank/ Country/ No. of languages spoken
1 Papua New Guinea 820
2 Indonesia 742
3 Nigeria 516
4 India 427
5 U.S.A. 311
6 Mexico 297
7 Cameroon 280
8 Australia 275
9 China 241
10 Dem. Republic of the Congo 216
11 Brazil 200
12 Philippines 180
13 Malaysia 147
14 Canada 145
15 Sudan 134
16 Chad 133
17 Russia 129
18 Tanzania 128
19 Nepal 125
20 Vanuatu 115

Balance of countries with over 50 different languages spoken

21 Myanmar 113
22 Vietnam 104
23 Côte d'Ivoire 92
24 Laos 86
25 Ethiopia 86
26 Ghana 83
27 Colombia 83
28 Thailand 83
29 Central African Republic 79
30 Pakistan 77
31 Burkina Faso 69
32 Congo 66
33 France 66
34 Kenya 64
35 Benin 55
36 Mali 54
37 Afghanistan 51
Are they counting aboriginal languages in that Australian count though? If so there are hundreds of those alone, in which case the figure above is somewhat misleading if it is reproduced as evidence of Australia's multicultural credentials.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:28 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

I'll have another bash at posting this. It was deleted on page 1 because it related to the UK and not Aus. Well I see there are comparisons being made with diversity between the UK and Oz so perhaps it's not so irrelevant now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...hink-tank.html
Migrants from many developing nations fail to pay their way, while those from wealthy countries, such as the United States and Australia, provide a boost for the economy.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:28 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

One last comment, before my rant is over. (I am calming down now). I am white Anglo Saxon, and my wife is of West African heritage. We have travelled extensively, and the only places where we have been able to walk around without being the object of excessive curiosity are Toronto and London.

The US was bad, presumably something to do with the relatively recent history of segregation. Sydney was worse. Continental Europe best not asked about, and China an absolute disgrace (I refuse to visit that country ever again on principle, and out of respect to my wife).

As anecdotal evidence only I think this gives a fair reflection of multi culturalism, diversity and tolerance.
Do you now live in London or Toronto ? I find both these cities to have a huge diverse population. I am surprised about your comment about china, I thought they would be very tolerant there ?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:34 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assegai
I'll have another bash at posting this. It was deleted on page 1 because it related to the UK and not Aus. Well I see there are comparisons being made with diversity between the UK and Oz so perhaps it's not so irrelevant now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...hink-tank.html
Migrants from many developing nations fail to pay their way, while those from wealthy countries, such as the United States and Australia, provide a boost for the economy.

Wow you dont say !!! Of course immigrants from a less privilaged background or country are going to be an initial drain on the system. They tend to be the lowest paid and get the crap jobs which no one else wants to do, so what do you expect ? Once they become established over a few years they pay their taxes just like anyone else. Just remember it is these immigrants that keep economies ticking over.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart

Ain't that the truth !!! Some parts of the UK are definately not diverse, remember the 'no dogs, no blacks and no Irish' signs outside Bread and Breakfast establishments in the 60's and the attitude in the 70's.
Things have moved on a bit somewhat now, but the mentality of some still has a lot to be desired. I still did not get the no Irish thing ? Now it is trendy to be Irish !!!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:05 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pgtips
Wow you dont say !!! Of course immigrants from a less privilaged background or country are going to be an initial drain on the system. They tend to be the lowest paid and get the crap jobs which no one else wants to do, so what do you expect ? Once they become established over a few years they pay their taxes just like anyone else. Just remember it is these immigrants that keep economies ticking over.
Yeah right.

80% of Somalis are on some sort of benefit. The vast majority of those immigrants from the developing world that do get jobs get a lot more out of the system through free education for their kids, free NHS, subsidised housing etc than what they put in through any taxes or NI conts they make. Never in a billion years would there be any payback for the debts they incurred.

The UK is a small overcrowded island and our infrastructure, houses, schools, roads, hospitals etc is at full capacity without any further expansion of our pop'n who are a net drain on our economy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.