Reload this Page >

Be Advised - Property Values

Be Advised - Property Values

Old Feb 11th 2008, 11:34 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Be Advised - Property Values

Originally Posted by deryans
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...234226918.html

I am sure many of you will have already read and understood this, however, please be careful and do not pay over the mark for properties, no matter what you think you can wear financially.
Want to know how bad it can get? take a look at the interest rates in NZ (where there is no stamp duty and capital gains on property is not really taxed properly) to see the effect they are having on the housing market.

Seems to me that this is a really good time to be renting and holding onto your cash.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/8/index.cfm?c_id=8

Examples of mortgage rates in NZ
http://www.interest.co.nz/mortgages.asp

Last edited by Nerine; Feb 11th 2008 at 11:44 am. Reason: added info about mortgages
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
In which case offer them less than 530 - afterall they have messed you around, try going in with a lower offer and see if they will bite - cite the fact that mortgage rates have gone up since you made your original offer and now it's going to cost you more every month because they faffed around.
thinking of offering $500,00 and seeing if they bite
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

been following a house I fell in love with when I was still in the uk... I'm still in love with it... however... it was on the market for 525k since at least August, didn't sell, went to auction in December, best offer was 500k, did not sell, owner said he would consider an offer of 550k but did not get it ... has gone back on the market now at 675k...

Either the seller has no intention of selling or the estate agent is a muppet... or perhaps both, but either way ithe picture simply does not add up..
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:45 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

The seller is ambitious and easily duped and the agent is a muppet. I've seen the same down here - a house was on the market 2 months before Christmas for 710 and didn't sell, post Christmas it was back on for 40 grand more with a different agent. It's sheer cheek but if people are stupid enough to fall for it.......

Hitchcock .....
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

median around our area (we are renting) is 1.2m, anything along louisa road is 3 to 4m, however last week/2weeks ago a nice tidy townhouse sold for 830, when the median for that should have been as I said 1.2+
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
The seller is ambitious and easily duped and the agent is a muppet. I've seen the same down here - a house was on the market 2 months before Christmas for 710 and didn't sell, post Christmas it was back on for 40 grand more with a different agent. It's sheer cheek but if people are stupid enough to fall for it.......

Hitchcock .....
let you know what happens over the next few days
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:05 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deryans
median around our area (we are renting) is 1.2m, anything along louisa road is 3 to 4m, however last week/2weeks ago a nice tidy townhouse sold for 830, when the median for that should have been as I said 1.2+
But a 2 bed townhouse is not the 'median' in Birchgrove - $830k sounds about right to me. Now if you are talking about a more typical 2-3 bed 100 year old 2 storey property with character (more typical of Birchgrove) then yes, 1-2mil easy. You will still not get anything on Louisa Rd without winning the lottery.

As to the original article - anyone who paid $950k for a place in Kellyville nearly 3 years ago needs their head looking at...

Graham
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by northerner
But a 2 bed townhouse is not the 'median' in Birchgrove - $830k sounds about right to me. Now if you are talking about a more typical 2-3 bed 100 year old 2 storey property with character (more typical of Birchgrove) then yes, 1-2mil easy. You will still not get anything on Louisa Rd without winning the lottery.

As to the original article - anyone who paid $950k for a place in Kellyville nearly 3 years ago needs their head looking at...

Graham

totally agree with the kellyville sentiment, I think it was a 3 bed T/House near the water street end (sailing club) 830k sound cheaper than I'd have thought, also agree on the "federation" or "terrace" for 1.2+