Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

advise on schools

advise on schools

Old Aug 4th 2006, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

gary + mandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question advise on schools

we are moving to the mona vale area in october, can anyone give me some names of schools for my 15yr old daughter please.I also have a 3yr old son does anyone know a good nursery ? mandy.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 7:51 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advise on schools

Hi

It depends what kind of school you are after really. Local high schools are Pittwater High at Mona Vale, North Narrabeen Sports High a little to the South and Barrenjoey High a little to the North. Then you have various "religious" schools - Mater Maria at Warriewood (Catholic) and Northern Beaches (Christian) at Terrey Hills. And then of course there are fee paying schools. . . . . And probably loads others that I haven't mentioned!

This is just knowledge I have picked up from living in the area but have no experience of them as my kids are only 5, 6 and 8. We have only been here a year so I can't help on nurseries other than to say that friends use ABC at Warriewood for their son and they are happy with that.

Good luck with your decisions!

Binbird
Old Aug 4th 2006, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: advise on schools

Originally Posted by binbird
Hi

It depends what kind of school you are after really. Local high schools are Pittwater High at Mona Vale, North Narrabeen Sports High a little to the South and Barrenjoey High a little to the North. Then you have various "religious" schools - Mater Maria at Warriewood (Catholic) and Northern Beaches (Christian) at Terrey Hills. And then of course there are fee paying schools. . . . . And probably loads others that I haven't mentioned!

This is just knowledge I have picked up from living in the area but have no experience of them as my kids are only 5, 6 and 8. We have only been here a year so I can't help on nurseries other than to say that friends use ABC at Warriewood for their son and they are happy with that.

Binbird
Thanx binbird, for all the info to think about.
mandy.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binbird
Hi

Binbird
my friend lives in mona vale too and I'm pretty sure that her two boys have been to abc nursery - have been pleased with level of care there.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Miona has a spectacular aura aboutMiona has a spectacular aura aboutMiona has a spectacular aura about

In Australia there are two kinds of nursery schools - one are child care centres or long day care centres which are usually open from about 7am to 6pm and cater to working families. The other we call pre-school which take children 3 and 4 in the two years prior to school entrance (first year of school in NSW is called Kindergarten then Y 1 through to 12). Pre- schools are only open during school terms, usually from about 9am to 3pm. They run an educational program and are designed to give your child school readiness. The typical 3year old program at a pre-school would be for 2 days a week then when they are 4 they go three days a week. The child care centres are primarily that although in recent times they have started to put in educational programs as well. Sometimes it is very hard to get into a pre-school and parents put their names down a couple of years in advance. However if you find a place you like, approach the Director and often they can find a place for a new person like you to the area.

As for your 15 year old, what binbird said was spot on. Here on the Northern Beaches you have the government comprehensive schools like those mentioned by binbird, catholic schools and one selective government school - Manly High - which you need to pass a test to get into plus private schools like St Lukes Grammar School and Pittwater House Schools. A lot of high school students travel further down the peninsula to private schools in north Sydney too. In general we are very lucky in this area with the schools and most of them are very good - government or private.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miona
The child care centres are primarily that although in recent times they have started to put in educational programs as well.
All child-care centres, whatever they call themselves (pre-school, long daycare etc) have to have an approved educational program. This has been the case for at least the last 18 years and is not something that has only been started in recent times.

I started checking out child-care in my area in 1988 and there was no difference (program-wise) in what the various centres around the place offered for pre-school-age children. I can remember that I went to about 10 different places within a relatviely small area aound Bondi (no shortage of child-care then!) and was so impressed with every one of them (staff, facilities and equipment) and I had a really hard time choosing one.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: advise on schools

Originally Posted by Miona
In Australia there are two kinds of nursery schools - one are child care centres or long day care centres which are usually open from about 7am to 6pm and cater to working families. The other we call pre-school which take children 3 and 4 in the two years prior to school entrance (first year of school in NSW is called Kindergarten then Y 1 through to 12). Pre- schools are only open during school terms, usually from about 9am to 3pm. They run an educational program and are designed to give your child school readiness. The typical 3year old program at a pre-school would be for 2 days a week then when they are 4 they go three days a week. The child care centres are primarily that although in recent times they have started to put in educational programs as well. Sometimes it is very hard to get into a pre-school and parents put their names down a couple of years in advance. However if you find a place you like, approach the Director and often they can find a place for a new person like you to the area.

As for your 15 year old, what binbird said was spot on. Here on the Northern Beaches you have the government comprehensive schools like those mentioned by binbird, catholic schools and one selective government school - Manly High - which you need to pass a test to get into plus private schools like St Lukes Grammar School and Pittwater House Schools. A lot of high school students travel further down the peninsula to private schools in north Sydney too. In general we are very lucky in this area with the schools and most of them are very good - government or private.

thankyou for all the info, we live in a small town in england so was limited on schools. Its hard trying to find a school thats right so I'm going on what people recommend.Thanks again. Mandy.