Advise needed

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Roxy111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advise needed

Hello everybody, seeking an advise from the people who did this before.
Here is the situation - we are Canadians who got our australian permanent visas and have to activate them till April 2009.
With current economic situation we have decided to wait till our final move (if it will be any at all). We have secure jobs right now and stable income.
We have taken a decision to go on vacation for couple of weeks in March this year and activate our visas and then see what's gonna happen.
what should we do?
1. Within these two weeks get all the registration (tax #, medicare), open bank account etc.
2. Do nothing and just enjoy experiencing Australia.
Please post your opinion in regards to this.
Are there any complications if we will register all this and open bank account later when we finally move?
If we register for tax # now - do we still to report our world income to Australian government although we live and work in Canada and filing taxes here?
Thank you very much for all your help.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:12 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Advise needed

You won't really be able to get a tax file number unless you have somewhere for them to mail it to. They tell you it takes up to 28 days, and you'll only be there for two weeks. So probably no point in trying that.

I would just wait until you actually move to get the tax file number. You could enrol with Medicare if you like, but again they need an address. So probably best to wait for that until you make the move.

You might want to open a bank account while you're here, but again unless you're going to leave enough money in it they will keep deducting their monthly fee. But

So, if it were me I probably would do nothing but enjoy your trip. The best thing you could do is probably do a bit of job hunting if you're up to it.

If you did get a tax number then there you still wouldn't need to report any income to Canada. It's just like getting a SIN#, you haven't worked or earned money in Oz so there's nothig to report. So no problems getting a number if that's what you want to do.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
You won't really be able to get a tax file number unless you have somewhere for them to mail it to. They tell you it takes up to 28 days, and you'll only be there for two weeks. So probably no point in trying that.

I would just wait until you actually move to get the tax file number. You could enrol with Medicare if you like, but again they need an address. So probably best to wait for that until you make the move.

You might want to open a bank account while you're here, but again unless you're going to leave enough money in it they will keep deducting their monthly fee. But

So, if it were me I probably would do nothing but enjoy your trip. The best thing you could do is probably do a bit of job hunting if you're up to it.

If you did get a tax number then there you still wouldn't need to report any income to Canada. It's just like getting a SIN#, you haven't worked or earned money in Oz so there's nothig to report. So no problems getting a number if that's what you want to do.
The wiki article http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Validation-Australia discusses what you should (and should not!) do on a validation trip.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:10 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
The wiki article http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Validation-Australia discusses what you should (and should not!) do on a validation trip.
Excellent, thanks JAJ. I had forgotten that was there.

So it looks like Medicare and the TFN are out. The bank account is a possibility though.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You don't say where you're going, Roxy. I'm Canadian and live in Perth, so if you're over this way we could take you out and show you around Perth a bit. Comet, also Canadian, lives on the other side in Brisbane.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:18 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You don't say where you're going, Roxy. I'm Canadian and live in Perth, so if you're over this way we could take you out and show you around Perth a bit. Comet, also Canadian, lives on the other side in Brisbane.
Yep, I had a quick look and couldn't see where they're headed either.

By the way Dorothy, I love the picture of your dog. I see you finally got rid of that chip on your shoulder
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I had a quick look and couldn't see where they're headed either.

By the way Dorothy, I love the picture of your dog. I see you finally got rid of that chip on your shoulder
He's my favourite child at the moment. He and I share a birthday and he got more pressies than I did! The kids even went out and bought him that doggie ice cream stuff. Did I get cake? Nooooooo.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:49 am
Canuck/Aussie

He's my favourite child at the moment. He and I share a birthday and he got more pressies than I did! The kids even went out and bought him that doggie ice cream stuff. Did I get cake? Nooooooo.
He looks like a labrador (or possibly retriever)... I just love those dogs. Love the name too, so Canadian!

My mom has one that is about 110 pounds, and is about my heigh if he stands up. Big dog! But so adorable and friendly
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 5:41 am
Still alive

He looks like a labrador (or possibly retriever)... I just love those dogs. Love the name too, so Canadian!

My mom has one that is about 110 pounds, and is about my heigh if he stands up. Big dog! But so adorable and friendly
He's a Golden Retriever. His name was going to be Charlie but in a drunken stupor one night my friend Julie suggested Moose - because it's Canadian. Our breeder here was originally from Flin Flon and she loved the name so it kind of stuck. He is a moose, though. He's a great big boy who kind of lumbers around knocking over things.

It's funny; last night I was out watering the garden when some guy walked by. He stopped and said "Is this Moose's house?" I told him that in fact it was my house but that Moose lived there. Everyone in the neighbourhood knows my dog!

We've sort of hijacked this thread, eh? Sorry, OP. If you need help just ask.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your help.
The trip will be too short to cover everything we want to see.
It is quiet a relief that we do not have to apply for all these papers so we can fully enjoy this travel.
The issue where to settle is a big question.
1. Gold Coast is on top of our plans with the dream to live near by the ocean, but limited jobs is a problem plus high real estate cost.
2. Brisbane - better job market and excellent house pricing but not on the ocean.
3. Melbourne - lot of jobs and great entertainment life but we think after these cold Canadian winters we do not want to experience cool weather again.
So we decided to fly from Vancouver to Sydney, spend few days there, then rent a car and drive to Gold coast and surroundings.
If you have any ideas about the places to see on our way, please advise.
Thank you for all your help very very much!!
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Excellent, thanks JAJ. I had forgotten that was there.

So it looks like Medicare and the TFN are out. The bank account is a possibility though.
Thank you Comet.
Are there any banks in Canada that do not charge bank fee or charge very little if there is no transaction activity?
We have quite a few here in Canada.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 10:46 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Roxy111
Thank you Comet.
Are there any banks in Canada that do not charge bank fee or charge very little if there is no transaction activity?
We have quite a few here in Canada.
We're with Westpac so I had a quick look at their site. Looks like they do have one with no fees. Although you'd have to check with them to see the fine details and all that.
http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p...est+comparison
You'll notice that a few of the ones with fees will waive the monthly fee if you keep a minimum amount in there (about $3000 or $5000). Not sure if you'd want to leave that much there though!

I imagine that other banks would probably have something similar.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:03 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Just thought I'd mention for your drive that it would probably be about 10-11 hours from Sydney to Brisbane.

So you could do it in a day if you really wanted to, although you may prefer two days.

Or, you could always try and book a cheap flight within Oz if you don't want to spend a full day driving.

In terms of what to do there's lots to do within an hour of Brisbane.
-a few big themeparks
-Australia Zoo (the Steve Irwin one) about 1 hour North of Brisbane
-beaches at the Gold Coast
-Lots of scenic stuff if you're into that.
-Southbank Parklands

It really just depends on the sort of activities you want to do. I have a whole book with things to do in and around Brisbane.

I also wanted to comment on the whole living near the ocean thing. I think it's great to live near the ocean, but I don't think you really need to live near the beach. Unless you can get a place on the beach or walking distance to you'll find you'll be driving to the beach. You probably won't go there nearly as often as you think.

We find we only go to the beach a 3-4 times a year and that suits us just fine. When I came I thought we'd be there constantly. While the beach is lovely it is also a lot of effort, especially with little kids. You've got to back a bunch of stuff, drag it from the car to the beach and then bring a bunch of wet stuff back that's full of sand! So while it's fun, I don't think it's essential to live that close.

We're in the Redlands area which is just great. It's still close enough to work in Brisbane but the housing prices are a lot more reasonable. It's quiet but has enough shopping around. The state schools are fairly good and there's also a couple excellent private schools around. We're 1 hour from Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast and only about 35-40 minutes to most of the theme parks.

So depending on what you want in an area you might want to check out the Redlands, particularly if you want to be close to the Gold Coast. I would also check out some of the suburbs in between because they might suit your needs too.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Just thought I'd mention for your drive that it would probably be about 10-11 hours from Sydney to Brisbane.

So you could do it in a day if you really wanted to, although you may prefer two days.

Or, you could always try and book a cheap flight within Oz if you don't want to spend a full day driving.

In terms of what to do there's lots to do within an hour of Brisbane.
-a few big themeparks
-Australia Zoo (the Steve Irwin one) about 1 hour North of Brisbane
-beaches at the Gold Coast
-Lots of scenic stuff if you're into that.
-Southbank Parklands

It really just depends on the sort of activities you want to do. I have a whole book with things to do in and around Brisbane.

I also wanted to comment on the whole living near the ocean thing. I think it's great to live near the ocean, but I don't think you really need to live near the beach. Unless you can get a place on the beach or walking distance to you'll find you'll be driving to the beach. You probably won't go there nearly as often as you think.

We find we only go to the beach a 3-4 times a year and that suits us just fine. When I came I thought we'd be there constantly. While the beach is lovely it is also a lot of effort, especially with little kids. You've got to back a bunch of stuff, drag it from the car to the beach and then bring a bunch of wet stuff back that's full of sand! So while it's fun, I don't think it's essential to live that close.

We're in the Redlands area which is just great. It's still close enough to work in Brisbane but the housing prices are a lot more reasonable. It's quiet but has enough shopping around. The state schools are fairly good and there's also a couple excellent private schools around. We're 1 hour from Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast and only about 35-40 minutes to most of the theme parks.

So depending on what you want in an area you might want to check out the Redlands, particularly if you want to be close to the Gold Coast. I would also check out some of the suburbs in between because they might suit your needs too.
Thank you Comet on you valuable advise. We never consider the flight in OZ oppose to the car rental. Have to check it out pricewise. Also we thought that the road from Sydney to Gold Coast is beautiful and we wil be able to see a lot on the way. If we decide to do it in two days - would you recommend any small town in between where we can stay over night? By looking at the map it is hard to judge about the place and plan something.
Thank you
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:48 pm
Canuck/Aussie

We really enjoyed our drive up. It is really pretty although I will warn you in advance that there's not a lot of it that is right on the ocean. There are definitely a few sections and glimpses along the way that you can see the ocean, but the rest is hilly with lots of trees and winding roads. It's not like driving in Alberta of Saskatchewan, it's more like driving in BC or some parts of Ontario.

We really liked it though and though it was a nice drive. Plus it'll help you get used to driving on the left side of the road a bit, it's a bit easier while driving on the highway. Sydney is a pain in the butt to drive in though especially if you're not used to driving on the left.

If you're doing the trip over 2 days then I would probably stay in Coffs Harbour, it's about half way in between. It's a bigger centre so there are more hotels and things to stay in, plus more places to eat which is good.

http://www.whereis.com/?id=5716D03A233D0B

Wherever you stay I would plan to set out early enough in the morning so that you can arrive at your destination before dinner time so that it gives you time to check in. We made that mistake a couple of times and almost didn't find rooms because we were looking around at 9pm at night and everything was closed up! This was mostly in the smaller towns, although they usually had a little after hours bell you could ring if you needed a room. Coffs Harbour is bigger, although I still wouldn't count on a 24 hour front desk.

Driving into Coffs Harbour you'll go by a few hotels so you should be able to just spot them from the road.

If you're going to check flights I usually find Virgin Blue to be the cheapest. I had a quick look for flights in march and the fares seem to range from about $60-80 per person one way.

Virgin Blue
http://www.virginblue.com.au/
Jetstar
http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/index.aspx
Qantas
http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...ier-country-au