Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on wireless technology

Advice on wireless technology

Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default Advice on wireless technology

Hi all

Looking for some advice on what to buy so that I can use my laptop 'wireless' around the house and as far as the garden, getting ready for summer!!

We have a DELL inspiron 510m, we have broadband also, the computer is geared up for wireless use.

Any help greatly appreciated, and where to buy in Brissy.

Cheers

Bill
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:42 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on wireless technology

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Hi all

Looking for some advice on what to buy so that I can use my laptop 'wireless' around the house and as far as the garden, getting ready for summer!!

We have a DELL inspiron 510m, we have broadband also, the computer is geared up for wireless use.

Cheers

Bill
Get down to Clive anthonys.

They have wireless routers etc etc etc. Its easy. The new belkin one is Sweeet. Just shove broadbean in router hook it up. Make sure wireless lan card is in Lappy. And VOILA.

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/w...80211ghome.htm
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Get down to Clive anthonys.

They have wireless routers etc etc etc. Its easy. The new belkin one is Sweeet. Just shove broadbean in router hook it up. Make sure wireless lan card is in Lappy. And VOILA.

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/w...80211ghome.htm

Cheers for that
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Hi all

Cheers

Bill
Try Harris Technology in Fortitude Valley. www.ht.com.au

WW
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Hope you enjoyed your night on Saturday, we met Riz and Alan on Saturday.

Thanks for the advice too!

Bill
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

graham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura about

Hi

I just put a wireless broadband router on ebay yesterday starting at $50

Its a Dlink 624+ 54 Mbps
I got it as a package deal with a wireless bridge that I bought.
Ive already got the same router hence the sale.
Its still shrink wrapped unopened.

The link for it is

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tem=5804149040

You connect your cable or DSL modem to it with the ethernet cable that is included and you then can surf the net with your wireless enabled laptop.
Just like im doing right now.

cheers
Graham
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:36 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

A good place for all things broadbean is at http://www.whirlpool.net.au/ the forums have tons of info on all the hardware and isp's.

For what it's worth I've got a 510m too and have been getting great results with the Netgear DG834G Wireless Modem/Router. I would suggest steering clear of the D-Link G604T, it was a good piece of kit apart from a widespread problem of an ADSL chip which emits a high pitched whine all the time it is connected to the phone line. I had four of them, all with widely spaced serial numbers and in the end got a refund as at night it was loud enough to hear all round the house and was driving my cats scatty.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

If you ever plan on working from home using SecureRemote and remote desktop then don't buy a Belkin as they appear to have got something wrong with their software on some Wireless Routers (can't remember the model but we bought it from PC World) so it doesn't work.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:51 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

From what I understand a lot of this wireless technology is pants, several people I know, regularly illegally share wireless connections with their neighbours, by doing this they can get access to whats on that persons pc. I think a lot of work needs to be done on wireless technology before I would recommend getting it.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 2:56 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
From what I understand a lot of this wireless technology is pants, several people I know, regularly illegally share wireless connections with their neighbours, by doing this they can get access to whats on that persons pc. I think a lot of work needs to be done on wireless technology before I would recommend getting it.
This is true and I know of a pair who also share the one connection (neighbours!) but along with wireless technology comes 'encryption!'

Many people just install the stuff, and leave it at that, default password and everything!

It only takes a few mins, and a few settings changed, and you can enjoy 128bit encryption, which will take more than the average 'PC bod' to get through!

My cable line is fed to my Router, and wired directly to my PC. From the router the signal IS bounced all over the place (not sure of exact distance!) and the kids both have PC's which pick it up, and the laptop can be used at the top of the garden!

You cannot simply 'tap in' to another PC just by sharing an internet connection. A Network needs to be set up, and even then EVERYONE has full control over what the others can access! Ok, that same 'PC bod' who could get through your encrption, could prob get into your PC, but then HE can get in everywhere! ...lol

All I'm saying is it's a lot safter than you think if all set up properly! ...
Old Sep 6th 2005, 4:26 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jim2004
This is true and I know of a pair who also share the one connection (neighbours!) but along with wireless technology comes 'encryption!'

Many people just install the stuff, and leave it at that, default password and everything!

It only takes a few mins, and a few settings changed, and you can enjoy 128bit encryption, which will take more than the average 'PC bod' to get through!

My cable line is fed to my Router, and wired directly to my PC. From the router the signal IS bounced all over the place (not sure of exact distance!) and the kids both have PC's which pick it up, and the laptop can be used at the top of the garden!

You cannot simply 'tap in' to another PC just by sharing an internet connection. A Network needs to be set up, and even then EVERYONE has full control over what the others can access! Ok, that same 'PC bod' who could get through your encrption, could prob get into your PC, but then HE can get in everywhere! ...lol

All I'm saying is it's a lot safter than you think if all set up properly! ...

The older versions of windows don't support WEP (encryption). But it doesn't bother me, because our wireless network isn't that powerful. If I go more than 5 metres out the back of the house the lappy loses connection. So that rules out the neighbours getting a 'free' link.

Same goes for the front of the house, so unless someone actually parks in my driveway, they can't get a link. Plus I have a firewall of course, so even if somehow they did manage to use my wireless network, they'd never get access to the files on the PC.