Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on Shipping please

Advice on Shipping please

Old May 13th 2006, 12:45 pm
Living the dream

kars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant future
Default Advice on Shipping please

Hi

Just accepted an offer on the house so can start sorting flights, shipping etc. We have been told the house should take approx 12 weeks to all go through but we are not planning to leave UK until end Sept/beg Oct and will move in with the mother in law. Not sure what to do with all the stuff we are taking to OZ - not enough room at the mother in laws so not sure whether to ship over when we move out in 12 weeks (will arrive before us so will have to pay storage in Melbourne) or put in storage here. Anyone been in same situation?? I have not contacted shipping companies yet to get any quotes.
Thanks
Sally
Old May 13th 2006, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Shipping please

Congrats on getting an offer on your house

Do a search for "shipping" in the Australia forum. There is tons of stuff to read so get yourself a cuppa and then start reading.

Originally Posted by kars
Hi

Just accepted an offer on the house so can start sorting flights, shipping etc. We have been told the house should take approx 12 weeks to all go through but we are not planning to leave UK until end Sept/beg Oct and will move in with the mother in law. Not sure what to do with all the stuff we are taking to OZ - not enough room at the mother in laws so not sure whether to ship over when we move out in 12 weeks (will arrive before us so will have to pay storage in Melbourne) or put in storage here. Anyone been in same situation?? I have not contacted shipping companies yet to get any quotes.
Thanks
Sally
Old May 13th 2006, 1:24 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Sally
I 'think' I'm correct saying this... You need to be here to recieve the container when it arrives, so that if there is anything the customs don't like, someone is here to answer their questions.
The container is emptied for inspection and then the goods are delivered or goes into storage and you are charged for the storage based upon the cubic metres.
I'm sure if you contact a good shipping agent they will give you the facts.

Neil.
Old May 13th 2006, 1:31 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Sally
sally, we are in the same position, almost. we have sold the house and looking to move out in about 4 weeks. HOWEVER, we have not yet got the visa :scared:

we are putting ours into storage over here, as obviously dont want to send it on its merry way, and then not get the visa! we have got a good deal on a storage company, book 8 weeks and get 6 weeks free!!! this is with 'safestore', i dont think all the branches are doing this offer, but its worth a check!

we are trying to sell the furniture as well, as we dont plan on taking much over with us (although that changes from day to day!)
Old May 13th 2006, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Sally
We were/are in the same position. Our house completed on 13th April and we leave for Oz at the end of August.

We had the shippers in on completion and all of our stuff went into UK storage with them. It cannot enter Oz before you, so has to stay here until a couple of months before you fly. We then rented a furnished house and just kept some clothes with us and other stuff that we can sell/bin when we go. So far it's working out brilliantly.
Old May 14th 2006, 11:07 am
Living the dream

kars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ohippy
We were/are in the same position. Our house completed on 13th April and we leave for Oz at the end of August.

We had the shippers in on completion and all of our stuff went into UK storage with them. It cannot enter Oz before you, so has to stay here until a couple of months before you fly. We then rented a furnished house and just kept some clothes with us and other stuff that we can sell/bin when we go. So far it's working out brilliantly.
Hi

Thanks for the reply, can I ask which shippers your used and how much they charge for storage here?
Old May 14th 2006, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for the reply, can I ask which shippers your used and how much they charge for storage here?
I used John Masons and I think it was just over £30 a week for storage in Croydon. I've only just paid the storage fee and don't pay for shipping until it actually happens so when they packed up I hadn't paid them a thing !
Old May 14th 2006, 9:32 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Sally
May/June/July/Aug(part of) - 12 Weeks
Sept/Oct (part of) - 8 weeks

Organise the shipment as soon as possible - otherwise you will get a poor rate. The shipment will take anything from 8 weeks. Depending on who you ship with its about 5 to 6 weeks on the sea, then 2+ weeks going through customs. Check other threads but some have taken alot longer.

You will need about 2 weeks in Oz to locate a rental (some may take less time but you can sleep on air mattresses for a few nights). So time your shipment too arrive the same time as you do. While your looking for a rental your items are clearing customs. If the dates dont work out suggest using the storage in Oz because its cheaper.

We sent our items in late March (from west sussex) - they are now cleared and being delivered tommorrow (in Melbourne) (we used PSS and locally Kent shipping).

Storage for a 20ft container in Oz is $50 per week (there is a small handling charge but that covers both the items going in and out).

Kiwi
Old May 15th 2006, 6:39 pm
Living the dream

Originally Posted by thebears
May/June/July/Aug(part of) - 12 Weeks
Sept/Oct (part of) - 8 weeks

Organise the shipment as soon as possible - otherwise you will get a poor rate. The shipment will take anything from 8 weeks. Depending on who you ship with its about 5 to 6 weeks on the sea, then 2+ weeks going through customs. Check other threads but some have taken alot longer.

You will need about 2 weeks in Oz to locate a rental (some may take less time but you can sleep on air mattresses for a few nights). So time your shipment too arrive the same time as you do. While your looking for a rental your items are clearing customs. If the dates dont work out suggest using the storage in Oz because its cheaper.

We sent our items in late March (from west sussex) - they are now cleared and being delivered tommorrow (in Melbourne) (we used PSS and locally Kent shipping).

Storage for a 20ft container in Oz is $50 per week (there is a small handling charge but that covers both the items going in and out).

Kiwi
Hi Kiwi

Thanks for your reply - I think I need to do some research and get things moving!!! Our friends have just gone to New Zealand and used PSS and I was waiting until their shipment arrived before booking them (about another 3 weeks)

Sally
Old May 15th 2006, 8:05 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kiwi

Thanks for your reply - I think I need to do some research and get things moving!!! Our friends have just gone to New Zealand and used PSS and I was waiting until their shipment arrived before booking them (about another 3 weeks)

Sally
Sally

Just remember that the earlier you book the more chance you have of getting a slot. We booked 12 months in advance, some friends tried recently and missed any chance so had to put their items in storage in UK for 3 weeks post their departure. The later you book the higher they quote.

Good luck for the big adventure, I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as we are.

Kiwi