Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on prescriptions in Oz please.

Advice on prescriptions in Oz please.

Old Jun 19th 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Location: West Sussex till end of 2009- then somewhere sunnier
john& becky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on prescriptions in Oz please.

Hi all,
Becky has a hiatus hernia and is on Lanzoprozole daily for it. She will be on it every day for the forseeable future, what is the position with getting prescription drugs in Australia, are they available with Medicare or is it a case of buying them privately?

thanks
John
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:49 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on prescriptions in Oz please.

Originally Posted by john& becky
Hi all,
Becky has a hiatus hernia and is on Lanzoprozole daily for it. She will be on it every day for the forseeable future, what is the position with getting prescription drugs in Australia, are they available with Medicare or is it a case of buying them privately?

thanks
John

I have a Hiatus Hernia and take Pariet every day for which I need a prescription. I get a repeat one for about 3 months - so pay the cost of the doctors appointment which varies. Some doctors bulk bill direct to Medicare and others you pay and claim it back but not always all of it as some doctors charge over the medicare rebate fee and you pay the gap (excess fee). I pay about $31.00 per month for the medication.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

thanks
John
Prescriptions are not available with medicare - if a drug is on the PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme) then you will pay a max of about $31 per item. If it is not on the PBS then you will pay market price for it. If you have private health cover then some of the market price could be covered by that but rarely would it be the whole amount. A quick look at the PBS documents I think says that it will be covered so you will be up for the basic amount. Spelled with an s for the first z here though.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

My son is on omeprazole (same as lanzoprazole) and it costs $31.30.
This is using medicare card.

Ranitidine 150mg for stomach issues is cheaper we pay $24 for this via prescription.
Its not a proton pump tablet but is for stomach issues.
Son is on both so thought Id mention it as its for stomach issues too.

Gems
Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:47 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
Hello,

My son is on omeprazole (same as lanzoprazole) and it costs $31.30.
This is using medicare card.

Ranitidine 150mg for stomach issues is cheaper we pay $24 for this via prescription.
Its not a proton pump tablet but is for stomach issues.
Son is on both so thought Id mention it as its for stomach issues too.

Gems

You can get Ranitidine 150 mg (Zantac) over the counter without a prescription. There is also a 300 mg version if the symptoms are particularly bad.

I am on Nexium 20mg (omeperazole, same family of PPI as lanzoprazole) on a daily basis. My Doctor gave me a 6 month repeat prescription and it costs me $31 to obtain at the chemist.

S
Old Jun 20th 2008, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Location: West Sussex till end of 2009- then somewhere sunnier
john& becky is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the input guys, very useful.
$31.00 a month with any luck doesnt sound too bad.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:04 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the input guys, very useful.
$31.00 a month with any luck doesnt sound too bad.
I was annoyed that I had to spend that every month, instead of say giving me a 3 months supply instead of monthly - unfortunately repeats here are not free!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mark213
I was annoyed that I had to spend that every month, instead of say giving me a 3 months supply instead of monthly - unfortunately repeats here are not free!
Is the charge per prescription like in the UK? So if you persuade the doc to give you 3 or even 6 months supply you only have to pay $31 for the whole period?