Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

problems with employer on a 457

problems with employer on a 457

Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Alec is a jewel in the roughAlec is a jewel in the roughAlec is a jewel in the roughAlec is a jewel in the rough
Default problems with employer on a 457

I have been working here for 6 months now for the same employer. I am a carpenter so needed a van. The employer supplied one but now says I have to start paying for it which is going to cost $260 a week. I already have to fill it with diesel each week which now costs about $100 a week. Being on the minimum wage of $42,000 I bring home $654 a week minus the diesel which we can just about scrape by on. If I start paying for the van then I would be coming home with less than $300 a week. Does anyone have any similar problems with 457?
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

blueballs is just really niceblueballs is just really niceblueballs is just really niceblueballs is just really niceblueballs is just really niceblueballs is just really niceblueballs is just really niceblueballs is just really niceblueballs is just really niceblueballs is just really niceblueballs is just really nice
Default Re: problems with employer on a 457

Originally Posted by Alec
I have been working here for 6 months now for the same employer. I am a carpenter so needed a van. The employer supplied one but now says I have to start paying for it which is going to cost $260 a week. I already have to fill it with diesel each week which now costs about $100 a week. Being on the minimum wage of $42,000 I bring home $654 a week minus the diesel which we can just about scrape by on. If I start paying for the van then I would be coming home with less than $300 a week. Does anyone have any similar problems with 457?
hi

your boss is taking the p***

tell him to shove it , but you will need to get another sponsor within 28 days so maybe dont .

scott
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:51 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

is it difficul for a company to sponsor someone?
Old Jun 19th 2008, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Alec is a jewel in the roughAlec is a jewel in the roughAlec is a jewel in the roughAlec is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
is it difficul for a company to sponsor someone?
I have no idea but apparently they do get financial help from the government
Old Jun 19th 2008, 1:29 pm
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

He's taking the piss mate but try and find a fall back before you tell him that. Will it be difficult to find another employer as a chippie?
Old Jun 19th 2008, 1:56 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

It does look as though he is maintaining his obligation to pay the correct (minimum) wage to you. I wonder though, by making YOU pay for a van, he may be in breach of the rules as he is no longer giving you the correct wage to survive on?
I strongly suggest you get the correct help from the Ombudsman. I telephones them last week to help a new employee of mine who was only getting $15.00 per hour with his last employee, which is clearly in breach of the rules. The Ombudsman was VERY good to deal with. You can contact the Workplace Ombudsman Helpline between the hours of 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on 1300 724 200 for the cost of a local call.

Info on minimum wage for 457 visa holders http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...ccupations.pdf

The minimum salary level, based on a 38 hour week, is currently set at:

* $57,300 for Information and Communication Technology occupations in Schedule B of the Legislative Instrument
* $41,850 for all other gazetted occupations in Schedule A of the Legislative Instrument. (You'll be in this category)

If you are not happy with your employer, providing you can get a new sponsor you can easily change employment, so don't be afraid to move. Just be up front with the immigration dept and tell them your intention.

Here's more info on making a complaint, but definitively call them for a chat.
http://www.wo.gov.au/asp/index.asp?s...id=5315&id=759

Neil.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
It does look as though he is maintaining his obligation to pay the correct (minimum) wage to you. I wonder though, by making YOU pay for a van, he may be in breach of the rules as he is no longer giving you the correct wage to survive on?
I strongly suggest you get the correct help from the Ombudsman. I telephones them last week to help a new employee of mine who was only getting $15.00 per hour with his last employee, which is clearly in breach of the rules. The Ombudsman was VERY good to deal with. You can contact the Workplace Ombudsman Helpline between the hours of 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on 1300 724 200 for the cost of a local call.

Info on minimum wage for 457 visa holders http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...ccupations.pdf

The minimum salary level, based on a 38 hour week, is currently set at:

* $57,300 for Information and Communication Technology occupations in Schedule B of the Legislative Instrument
* $41,850 for all other gazetted occupations in Schedule A of the Legislative Instrument. (You'll be in this category)

If you are not happy with your employer, providing you can get a new sponsor you can easily change employment, so don't be afraid to move. Just be up front with the immigration dept and tell them your intention.

Here's more info on making a complaint, but definitively call them for a chat.
http://www.wo.gov.au/asp/index.asp?s...id=5315&id=759

Neil.
Hi Neil

Thank you for your message. Spoke to Ombudsman Helpline, they were very interested in the fact that the employer had taken $238 from my wages (without my knowledge) a few weeks ago for a light that I accidently broke with a door I was carrying whilst working. They gave me a number to phone about the van.

Do you need a whole new 457 visa to change employer? We have a PR app loged at moment. This is all very frustrating.

Alec
Old Jun 20th 2008, 6:21 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Neil

Thank you for your message. Spoke to Ombudsman Helpline, they were very interested in the fact that the employer had taken $238 from my wages (without my knowledge) a few weeks ago for a light that I accidently broke with a door I was carrying whilst working. They gave me a number to phone about the van.

Do you need a whole new 457 visa to change employer? We have a PR app loged at moment. This is all very frustrating.

Alec
Where in oz are you Alec?

Reason for working for someone else? Are you able to go out on your own?
or is it for other reason than having the right qualifications etc.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Where in oz are you Alec?

Reason for working for someone else? Are you able to go out on your own?
or is it for other reason than having the right qualifications etc.
Hi

I'm in Perth.

Unfortunately, as I came over on a 457 sponsored visa, I have to work for the company that sponsored me. When I get a permanent visa I won't have to be answerable to anyone, so maybe going it alone is an option, don't know, haven't thought that far ahead!

I'm a fully qualified joiner, with many years experience, maybe too many!