Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice for Over 40's

Advice for Over 40's

Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Greig Skeffington is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for Over 40's

Hi All, we would be really grateful if someone out there could either point us in the right direction or share with us a similar experience of moving out to Aussie at our time of life.

We are both in our 40's with an 8 year old son and both work in Social Work. We have already been told by one of the skills assessments that we are too old.

What we want to do ideally is to come out for a year to see if it is for us or not, before having to take a decision about immigration full time. Could anyone advise if their is a visa available to accommodate this or is it worth trying to get potential employers to sponsor us. At this end we would both be able to put our jobs on hold and get agreement with our sons school.

We have relatives in the Sydney area, an aunt, uncle and two married cousins with kids of their own now.

It would be great to hear from anyone who perhaps has a similar story or indeed anyone who can advise us what to try. I know this sounds a bit long winded and we are aware that we could come over on vacation but we would like the experince of doing some work and obviously letting our son experience school in another country to help us to decide whether or not we want to take the next big step.

We appear to at the stage of our lives where do we just keep going and get on with it or could we have one more throw of the dice to see what else is out there ?

Look forward to hearing from anyone who has experince of our situation out there.

Last edited by Greig Skeffington; Sep 14th 2010 at 5:55 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:18 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Advice for Over 40's

Originally Posted by Greig Skeffington
Hi All, we would be really grateful if someone out there could either point us in the right direction or share with us a similar experience of moving out to Aussie at our time of life.

We are both in our 40's with an 8 year old son and both work in Social Work. We have already been told by one of the skills assessments that we are too old.

What we want to do ideally is to come out for a year to see if it is for us or not, before having to take a decision about immigration full time. Could anyone advise if their is a visa available to accommodate this or is it worth trying to get potential employers to sponsor us. At this end we would both be able to put our jobs on hold and get agreement with our sons school.

We have relatives in the Sydney area, an aunt, uncle and two married cousins with kids of their own now.

It would be great to hear from anyone who perhaps has a similar story or indeed anyone who can advise us what to try. I know this sounds a bit long winded and we are aware that we could come over on vacation but we would like the experince of doing some work and obviously letting our son experience school in another country to help us to decide whether or not we want to take the next big step.

We appear to at the stage of our lives where do we just keep going and get on with it or could we have one more throw of the dice to see what else is out there ?

Look forward to hearing from anyone who has experince of our situation out there.
Hi mate. Most permanent visa routes are closed to you once you become 45 at the time of application (not the time of emigration). However only one of you has to be under 45, so if your skills are on the right list then even if the person with the skills is 44 and the other 54, say, it wouldn't normally make any difference.

BB
Old Sep 14th 2010, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Over 40's

Are there any work exchange programs for social workers? I know there are for teachers so you may be able to find something like that which would give you a year here.

The older you get the harder it is to get to a financially independent retirement - you wont have enough in super to keep you going. There is still a tendency here for people to be retiring at 55+ and finding employment when you get close to 50 is getting very difficult these days.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know for nurses P.R visa can be gained up to age 48, it would be worth checking incase there is also exception for your profession, perhaps even more points or summit
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:23 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you looked at family sponsorship?
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:26 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Greig Skeffington

What we want to do ideally is to come out for a year to see if it is for us or not, before having to take a decision about immigration full time

Could anyone advise if their is a visa available to accommodate this or is it worth trying to get potential employers to sponsor us.
A visa for a year so you can work here... the only one I know is working holiday visa. Is there an age restriction on that? I can't imagine how you would get sponsorship from an employer for a year... when you're not PR.

Blimey!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Greig Skeffington is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Advice for Over 40's

Thank's to all for taking the time to reply it is really appreciated by us oldies here in sunny Scotland. Cheer's
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Have you looked at family sponsorship?
Still need a Skills assessment for Family sponsored.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
A visa for a year so you can work here... the only one I know is working holiday visa. Is there an age restriction on that? I can't imagine how you would get sponsorship from an employer for a year... when you're not PR.

Blimey!
WHV is only for under 31

You can get Temporary sponsor 457 for any period of time between 1 day and 4 years.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:21 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Might I suggest that you approach a reputed migration agent. They handle the most difficult of cases day in and day out. Many of them post to this forum regularly and rather than get a "stock" response of too old to qualify for a skilled independent they may be able to point other routes out.

Posters have commented that the likes of www.gomatilda.com and www.ianharrop.co.uk provide outstanding services for difficult cases.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Hi there, Im a social worker and moved here a month before my 40th! so just made the points, that was 5 years ago though,

I was on a 457 regional visa, so lived in Adelaide first, and now Im in Sydney. PM me for more detailed info, Social work here is very different! Jackie
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

Life is so much about attitude, and that is never truer when it comes to age or immigration. I am 42 and my husband 58 and we immigrated last year. We have no super. But we love life, have an amazing attitude, and had a strong "why" when we immigrated (i.e. WHY do you want to immigrate? ). We are committed to this life move, and therefore we handle whatever life throws in our way. We arrived in Australia having never been here, and it is the best thing we ever did. If you move for "a year" ....you will never be fully committed and then you loose a year that you could be building your new foundation for your future....
We are going to get investment properties so that we can build a self funded super, in the meantime, we work (self employed so that we can achieve life work balance).
Did I mention that we have a 7 year old ?
Life is good !!!!
GOOD LUCK !!!!!
Nix
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

P.S. "The greatest risk of all is not to risk"

AND

"You regret more the things in life you didn't do than those you did"

Just some positive thoughts for you to mull over.
There is no "right" or "wrong"......there is just a DECISION !

Good Luck !