Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is it with Australians???

What is it with Australians???

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of
Angry What is it with Australians???

I have never sent so many emails in my life to request information, quotes or to form a client relationship and never get a reply back!!???

Is it that they receive lots of spam? Maybe they are very busy!? Maybe they consider email as a poor communication medium and don't trust it? Maybe they were bitten and are now shy? Don't know...I have always been nice in emails and give lots of info about who I am.

I feel that most of them don't care about forming a healthy relationship with new clients...its like they only care about the bird in their hands! They don't think about the future.

But I tell ye, when in OZ, I won't even bother going to their shop or office or call! They don't deserve my money.

Hopefully, I'll get a different view once there.....and yes, I got a few replies back!

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it with Australians???

What are you contacting people about?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Without the NBN some will still be waiting for the email to arrive.

It's hard to answer the question without knowing what you're sending them. Maybe spam filters are taking out your email? Maybe they're just not registering it as important? Maybe the shops you're sending to a more bricks and mortar rather than clicks and email? You'll find a lot of shops here don't have a web presence where you might expect one in parts of Europe.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I've found this as well! Plus I'm also on the other end of it. We get an enquiry so we respond either straight away if we are at home or at least acknowledge the email and say we'll get the info out to you when we get back etc. Then what I find frustrating is then there is nothing sometimes, no response so you don't know whether they got the email especially with spam filters etc. How hard is it just to hit the reply button and say "thanks, we'll be in touch if we want to take it further". We'd hate to think an email had been lost and a potential client thought we didn't care about their enquiry! So I'll leave it a few days and then email or phone again.

I'm not sure if it's just Aussies or generally the way of the world now as we've had the same thing happen sending info to the UK. I know the American's never responded to emails and it would always go straight to voicemail if you phoned when I was at work in the UK - however, they expected you to always answer forgetting the time difference!!!

Thing is here if companies are like that then the ones who do give good customer service stand out a mile and they are the ones you will recommend. Word of mouth counts for a lot in Oz so I don't know why some companies are like that unless they don't need the business!

You may find a better response once you are here. I emailed an expo company about taking part before we left and never heard a thing back. When we got here I phoned and the woman said, oh yes I remember your enquiry, yes your here now and put the welcome mat out. However, I felt like saying well why couldn't you just reply and say thanks but we can only deal with you once you are here! It's not hard! On the other hand we had another expo company ring us in the UK with info - now that's service!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

I found this with esate agents (in my case)too - and when you walk into their office they aren't even busy.

But have found face to face contact is often better.

Also is depends on where in Oz - I'm finding Queenland a bit slower than Sydney - maybe it all a good thing but its fustrating when your trying to get things done.

Good luck.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:29 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

If something is in email only it is low priority. If it is important I am sure they will ring.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:43 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poitin
I found this with esate agents (in my case)too - and when you walk into their office they aren't even busy.
If I were an estate agent, I would assume that 99% of emails I received from overseas were from dreamers who were never going to turn into real clients anyway.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:44 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Also is depends on where in Oz - I'm finding Queenland a bit slower than Sydney - maybe it all a good thing but its fustrating when your trying to get things done.

Good luck.
Queensland is slower than Somalia
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 1:49 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Queensland is slower than Somalia
I think Somalia has better public transport, a less corrupt government and a better working ethic as well
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 2:26 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

They have some very quick boats.
Originally Posted by Centurion
I think Somalia has better public transport, a less corrupt government and a better working ethic as well
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 3:13 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The OP is absolutely right. Australians just don't seem to care about their customers (generalisation, I know but a fair one.)

Whether it's not calling back, answering emails and enquiries, or ignoring letters it's all the same. So many just can't be bothered.

Locally it's even worse: the local ABC bookshop can't be arsed to order a book that's not in stock, even though it's twice the cost of me getting it sent over from England by the Book Depository. And when I do that, they complain its UnAustralian.

But you will get used to it, and sink to the same level.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
If I were an estate agent, I would assume that 99% of emails I received from overseas were from dreamers who were never going to turn into real clients anyway.
Yeah - but I was in Sydney with details of dates that I would be in Brisbane - never mind that all behind me - got house -container will be delivered on Monday- kids at school on tuesday(what a blessing)
Connections orgainised and car ready to collect.

I think I'll cope with the pace of life in Queensland, actually really looking forward to the move now.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 6:54 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah - but I was in Sydney with details of dates that I would be in Brisbane
Ah, no, sorry, I was unclear - was referring more to the OP's position.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
What are you contacting people about?
For starters schools! My wife emails a few schools for our daughter and nothing! Then one replied, she was very very nice. Then she sent another email to ask some questions. Nothing. Then we sent all the papers by DHL and asked her to confirm if she got them. Nothing! Obviously we than called...

Estate agents...TERRIBLE!!!! They NEVER answer an email! Huh, when i arrive there I'm going to their office and tell them this face to face!

Car rental inquiries........some just didnt answer....

Jobs............OK I understand this a little bit. They want you there. Fair enough. But at least acknowledge!

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Without the NBN some will still be waiting for the email to arrive.
It's hard to answer the question without knowing what you're sending them. Maybe spam filters are taking out your email? Maybe they're just not registering it as important? Maybe the shops you're sending to a more bricks and mortar rather than clicks and email? You'll find a lot of shops here don't have a web presence where you might expect one in parts of Europe.
It would not make a difference if fiber or copper for an email to arrive. And as for spam filters....I use their online form!!!!!!! So it should arrive in their inbox

Originally Posted by koalakim
Hi
I've found this as well! Plus I'm also on the other end of it. We get an enquiry so we respond either straight away if we are at home or at least acknowledge the email and say we'll get the info out to you when we get back etc. Then what I find frustrating is then there is nothing sometimes, no response so you don't know whether they got the email especially with spam filters etc. How hard is it just to hit the reply button and say "thanks, we'll be in touch if we want to take it further". We'd hate to think an email had been lost and a potential client thought we didn't care about their enquiry! So I'll leave it a few days and then email or phone again.

I'm not sure if it's just Aussies or generally the way of the world now as we've had the same thing happen sending info to the UK. I know the American's never responded to emails and it would always go straight to voicemail if you phoned when I was at work in the UK - however, they expected you to always answer forgetting the time difference!!!

Thing is here if companies are like that then the ones who do give good customer service stand out a mile and they are the ones you will recommend. Word of mouth counts for a lot in Oz so I don't know why some companies are like that unless they don't need the business!

You may find a better response once you are here. I emailed an expo company about taking part before we left and never heard a thing back. When we got here I phoned and the woman said, oh yes I remember your enquiry, yes your here now and put the welcome mat out. However, I felt like saying well why couldn't you just reply and say thanks but we can only deal with you once you are here! It's not hard! On the other hand we had another expo company ring us in the UK with info - now that's service!
That's exactly what I think and feel!!!!!!!!!

Good luck.
Yeah, it is QLD.....maybe people are just laid back cause its too hot

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Well, I am not a dreamer (the 1% )....I have a flight booked and paid, container on the way, little one booked on school bla bla bla. I'm someone who is 100% sure will be in QLD soon and looking for long term rent unless our plane is hijacked and bombed!

Pitty I am just one of the 1% and just ignored!

Originally Posted by Wol
The OP is absolutely right. Australians just don't seem to care about their customers (generalisation, I know but a fair one.)

Whether it's not calling back, answering emails and enquiries, or ignoring letters it's all the same. So many just can't be bothered.

Locally it's even worse: the local ABC bookshop can't be arsed to order a book that's not in stock, even though it's twice the cost of me getting it sent over from England by the Book Depository. And when I do that, they complain its UnAustralian.

But you will get used to it, and sink to the same level.
WOW...I thought so....Yes, I agree, I'm sure I'll get used to it. Do like the Romans when in Rome

Last edited by B1K3R; Sep 3rd 2010 at 7:13 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 7:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion

Originally Posted by B1K3R

Yeah, it is QLD.....maybe people are just laid back cause its too hot

No they're just laid back, even in winter when they are all whinging its too cold. It's the eternal she'll be right attitude, sort of " I won't bother answering cos I'm sure they can get the answer somewhere else, and that'll do them" Incredibly annoying, and no better once you're actually here either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.