Advice needed

Old Apr 5th 2006, 5:48 pm
yeah but no but

glennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of light
Default Advice needed

Hi everyone,
Need a bit of advice. We are waiting for a CO at the mo on a 136 modl and really want to settle in Townsville QLD but Hubby has been offered a job where the want him immediately on a 457 visa. They will pay travel and motel for 1 month for us all and $15000 relocation expences. Only prob is its Sydney and of course we will be tied to the company for 4 years. I really do not fancy going to Sydney but the relocation package they are offering is really good. The other thing with Sydney is it seems really expensive and the job he has been offered is $65k which doesn't seem that good a wage for the area (correct me if i'm wrong)
What would you do?
Old Apr 5th 2006, 5:58 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice needed

Originally Posted by glennandkate
Hi everyone,
Need a bit of advice. We are waiting for a CO at the mo on a 136 modl and really want to settle in Townsville QLD but Hubby has been offered a job where the want him immediately on a 457 visa. They will pay travel and motel for 1 month for us all and $15000 relocation expences. Only prob is its Sydney and of course we will be tied to the company for 4 years. I really do not fancy going to Sydney but the relocation package they are offering is really good. The other thing with Sydney is it seems really expensive and the job he has been offered is $65k which doesn't seem that good a wage for the area (correct me if i'm wrong)
What would you do?
Why would you rather go to Townsville instead of Sydney?
Old Apr 5th 2006, 5:59 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,
What would you do?
Well I'm biased as I absolutely loved Townsville when I went a few weeks ago for my validation trip. We also visited Sydney but much preferred Townsville to live in, although we thought Sydney was great for a holiday (we couldn't afford to live there) Have you been to either as they really couldn't be more different.

Personally if you think you stand a good chance of getting a PR visa I would wait for that and then you have the choice.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 9:49 pm
yeah but no but

glennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cinderella
Why would you rather go to Townsville instead of Sydney?
To put it simply I dont like city life but saying that I dont want to live in a small 1 pub town so a larger town like Townsville would suit me down to the ground. Its also so tropical and pretty...and the housing is cheap and there is plenty of work. I think you have just talked me out of Sydney without saying a word
Old Apr 6th 2006, 9:39 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Advice needed

To put it simply I dont like city life but saying that I dont want to live in a small 1 pub town so a larger town like Townsville would suit me down to the ground. Its also so tropical and pretty...and the housing is cheap and there is plenty of work. I think you have just talked me out of Sydney without saying a word

Well there you go, you have answered you own question really. If you don't like city life, Sydney would not be the place for you. The job offer is tempting, but if living in a big city is not for you, accepting the job would be wrong. Wait something else will come along, that you will feel is right.

Good luck.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

4 years is a long time to be tied into a company. I've never heard of someone being tied in for longer than 2 years. Sounds odd to me

My hubby is being sponsored. Not getting quite as much with relocation expenses but he's only tied in for 12 months. If he leaves during the first year then he has to pay back the relocation expenses.

What work does you hubby do?

Hi everyone,
What would you do?
Old Apr 6th 2006, 10:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,
Need a bit of advice. We are waiting for a CO at the mo on a 136 modl and really want to settle in Townsville QLD but Hubby has been offered a job where the want him immediately on a 457 visa. They will pay travel and motel for 1 month for us all and $15000 relocation expences. Only prob is its Sydney and of course we will be tied to the company for 4 years.

What would you plan to do regarding your 136 application?
Old Apr 6th 2006, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to seriously consider Sydney then maybe your hubby should go back to the company and say he needs some rent assistance, as the wage wont be enough to cover living expenses there. If they want him they should be willing to pay towards this, and if this is the main reason you are worried about taking this option, then it will lead to your solution.

On the other hand your gut instinct is generally right - so stick with that!!!

S
Old Apr 6th 2006, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about

Hi everyone,
What would you do?
Relocation package is really good. Wages are not to bad, but it depends on what you are doing. I think the OZ average annual wage is somewhere around $40-45.000. At least that's what I got in my statistical reports... and within IT, I think $70-80.000 is really good. Anything above that is _really_ good and basically is on a managerial level ...

... but life is not cheap down under contrary to many beliefs. You have to pay for many things. What about health care; are they including that in their pay package? That could easily amount to $200/month or something .. if you manage to get a decent one included you have saved lots...

/Jorgen
Old Apr 6th 2006, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone,
What would you do?

Hmmmmmm I have spent a lot of time in Sydney and on the North Coast of NWS and it is a great area. To be fair I liked Sydney as a place to visit and stay but not as a home. If I was offered a 457 then I would'nt go on the basis of it alone given that I wanted to go somewhere else but the 15K will mean that you can move for free!

65K is a reasonable wage here but no so much so in Sydney. A bit like living on 27K in London or in a town outside. I suppose it depends on your financial situation but if I were you I would; hang on for your 136 (nothing more to worry about then) and come to Townsville, you wont regret it and if you have ben offered moving expenses once you proably will again (we did to the tune of $12K)

I hope this helps, best of luck

Rob
Old Apr 6th 2006, 1:39 pm
yeah but no but

Thank you all for your replies - Even though it would be great having the financial help to move as we are not migrating with a lot of money I think we have decided to turn down the offer - I really dont think Sydney is for us. I also dont think it is such a good idea to be tied to a company for so long. Hubby is a Fitter on the railways and I am pretty sure will be able to gain employment in any town and for the sake of a few grand to help us relocate I dont think it will be worth living in a place we will not feel at home in.

At the end of the day it is the dream we are going for and if we cant live in a place that suits us we may as well stay put...And of course we have yet to see if that is Townsville or not but if we go independantly at least we can move to another town if we want to.
Thank you all again, it has helped me to put everything in prespective and realise I must (for now anyway) follow the dream rather than take second best.