Reload this Page >

Advice on Holiday to Perth

Advice on Holiday to Perth

Old Dec 31st 2007, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

silvershadow68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Holiday to Perth

Hi everybody,
looking for a wee bit of advice for my holiday to Perth (staying with friends) at the end of Feb.

With regards to the clothing aspect,trainers,shoes,evening wear, how much should a guy pack for 3 weeks. I dont want to underestimate, but at the same time, i know i have a 20kg luggage limit, but i am keeping in mind, i want to bring more back. I have never been to Australia before, so i am looking for some guidance here.
How much should i realistically take.

Also, holiday cash. I plan to take about 2k British pounds, but i am looking to get a good deal against the Dollar (Australian), and i am constantly checking the currency markets.
Does anybody think it may creep up to the $2.30 + again, before Febuary, against the pound.
I plan to take cash only, as i dont want to use credit cards abroad.

Good idea, or not ?

Happy new year

Tom
Old Dec 31st 2007, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Simpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really nice
Default Re: Advice on Holiday to Perth

It is your choice re: the credit cards, but I do think it's a big risk to take carrying 2k around with you (if that's what you meant).
Not for a moment suggesting that the Aussies are theives or anything, just that in general it's a lot of money to carry.

We bought travellers cheques the first time we went over, although can't remember really noticing much benefit to using them. I'm mostly big on credit/debit cards and you should be able to find a card that doesnt charge for international transactions.

Good luck either way!
x
Old Dec 31st 2007, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the advice. I have nothing at all against the old credit & debit cards, and use them here in the Uk every day without fail. My only concern was being charged for possibly every transaction (surgage %) on top of the purchase price, if i use my credit/debit card, or being charged for lifting cash out an ATM.

I bank with the Tsb, & use Goldfish & Capital one Visa cards, so maybe i should be looking at contacting the aforementioned, to find out if this is the case.

cheers

Tom
Old Dec 31st 2007, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Hi, hope you have a great holiday i loved Perth. I took a medium sized suitcase with me for two weeks and still had loads of outfits i had not worn. Ended up in a very nice restaurant one night over looking the swan river (only one still serving as it was late) and had on jeans and top and did not feel uncomfortable. Anything goes in Perth, my party dresses stayed in the case. Now bearing in mind i am a female who takes at least five pairs of shoes where ever i go i guess you could travel light. Have fun
Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silvershadow68
thanks for the advice. I have nothing at all against the old credit & debit cards, and use them here in the Uk every day without fail. My only concern was being charged for possibly every transaction (surgage %) on top of the purchase price, if i use my credit/debit card, or being charged for lifting cash out an ATM.

I bank with the Tsb, & use Goldfish & Capital one Visa cards, so maybe i should be looking at contacting the aforementioned, to find out if this is the case.

cheers

Tom
Open a Nationwide Flexi account and use any ATM and you don't get charged
transaction fees

Enjoy your holiday here in Perth

John
Old Jan 1st 2008, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

no fees on Nationwide credit card either
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Guys,
thank you for all you replys pointing me toward the nationwide.
I actually had an account with them for something else, but started an application for the flexcard/debit card account.
Its terrific that at least one bank do not have any charges for using your debit card & withdrawing from atm's abroad.
I had a right run in today, with the tsb (my current bank).
Not only was it going to cost me about £4.50 a time for withdrawing (my cash), from an atm, when i told them/informed them about my Australian trip, they said that they no longer put notes on accounts regarding this, & if i was to run into any bother while abroad, they would only look at it then.

I was totally disgusted with this, and let them know big time that i was not happy. Plus it has taken me three days to get thru to the online banking.
Everytime you phone (doesnt matter if its the middle of the night).
All you get is "we are very busy, it may take upto 10mins to answer you call)
I was actually on hold for 41min at one stage, an the girl then cut me off, trying to transfer me.

Arhhh