ADVICE ON COLLEGES & SCHOOLS PLS

ADVICE ON COLLEGES & SCHOOLS PLS

Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

watcakes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ADVICE ON COLLEGES & SCHOOLS PLS

Hi,

May be relocating to Perth.

I am currently a student studying Level 3 British Sign Language. Can you anyone recommend a college in Perth where I can continue my studies?

Also, I have a five year old daughter. Ideally I would like her to go to a Catholic school but I know it all depends on where you live etc. Can anyone recommend any good schools so I can find out more information and consider buying in that area. Education is very important to us. How does the school system work in Perth incl. long holidays?

Are there any areas in Perth which we should avoid when looking to buy/rent?

Thank you in advance. Really appreciate your feedback.

K.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADVICE ON COLLEGES & SCHOOLS PLS

Originally Posted by watcakes
Hi,

I am currently a student studying Level 3 British Sign Language. Can you anyone recommend a college in Perth where I can continue my studies?

Also, I have a five year old daughter. Ideally I would like her to go to a Catholic school but I know it all depends on where you live etc. Can anyone recommend any good schools so I can find out more information and consider buying in that area. Education is very important to us. How does the school system work in Perth incl. long holidays?

K.
Here's some info on sign language here, a version known as Auslan: http://www.aussieeducator.org.au/cur...ages/sign.html
http://www.wadeaf.org.au/index.php?id=38

If you are Catholic it is much easier to get into a Catholic school, but as far as I'm aware you don't have to live in the area. Catholic schools are popular with non-Catholics as well, as their fees are reasonable, and for that reason it can be hard to get a place, even if you're Catholic. The schools vary in size quite a bit, for example, a small school of about 200 kids might seem to be a good idea as everyone will know each other, however a negative is less resources and a lack of choice if there's only one class per year level. There are Catholic schools dotted throughout the suburbs. I've heard varied reports about how good they are, though. You can look them up on:

http://www.myschool.edu.au/

Try putting in St John's (Scarborough, WA), Sacred Heart (Sorrento), Our Lady of Grace (North Beach), Aranmore (North Perth) to name just a few (there are dozens more).

Although your daughter is only at the start of the primary school years, if you are considering buying a property, you should also look at high schools. Some Catholic high schools give feeder schools priority; some are very popular and have long waiting lists. There are other religion-based schools, by the way.

I wouldnt rush into buying until you have really got to know Perth very well and understood more about how it works here, in terms of schools and suburbs. The suburb you decide on has to offer you a quality of life that suits you all. Have you visited Perth previously? What sort of areas are you or your OH likely to work in (central Perth, for example)?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

Hi, thanks for that. Will have a good read later.

I visited Perth 18 months ago to see my sister. She lives in Bateman and now Bullcreek. I have friends also who live near Freemantle. Yes, we would rent until we have found our feet. My husband would obviously work straight away.

So, with regards to schooling. What are the term dates/start etc as here new school year is Sept. She is currently in Year 1. She will be taking first holy communion next year hopefully followed by confirmation.

Thank you again.

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Here's some info on sign language here, a version known as Auslan: http://www.aussieeducator.org.au/cur...ages/sign.html
http://www.wadeaf.org.au/index.php?id=38

If you are Catholic it is much easier to get into a Catholic school, but as far as I'm aware you don't have to live in the area. Catholic schools are popular with non-Catholics as well, as their fees are reasonable, and for that reason it can be hard to get a place, even if you're Catholic. The schools vary in size quite a bit, for example, a small school of about 200 kids might seem to be a good idea as everyone will know each other, however a negative is less resources and a lack of choice if there's only one class per year level. There are Catholic schools dotted throughout the suburbs. I've heard varied reports about how good they are, though. You can look them up on:

http://www.myschool.edu.au/

Try putting in St John's (Scarborough, WA), Sacred Heart (Sorrento), Our Lady of Grace (North Beach), Aranmore (North Perth) to name just a few (there are dozens more).

Although your daughter is only at the start of the primary school years, if you are considering buying a property, you should also look at high schools. Some Catholic high schools give feeder schools priority; some are very popular and have long waiting lists. There are other religion-based schools, by the way.

I wouldnt rush into buying until you have really got to know Perth very well and understood more about how it works here, in terms of schools and suburbs. The suburb you decide on has to offer you a quality of life that suits you all. Have you visited Perth previously? What sort of areas are you or your OH likely to work in (central Perth, for example)?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:17 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

K.
Good Schools in Perth is a privilege not a right. If you have money to live in an expensive area or are prepared to pay big bucks for schooling you will get good schooling. If you don't have huge money or don't spend money on private schools then you won't get a good school.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Weebie
Good Schools in Perth is a privilege not a right. If you have money to live in an expensive area or are prepared to pay big bucks for schooling you will get good schooling. If you don't have huge money or don't spend money on private schools then you won't get a good school.
I am not sure how to take that reply. I am just trying to get a recommendation for christian schools and whether or not they have good reputations etc. If someone was to ask my advice if moving here I would simply give them a rough idea of which ones are ok and which ones to avoid. Like here for the best schooling you have to pay but saying that the state schools are good in this area and I am a firm believer that alot of schooling depends on the child him/hersel anyway.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for that. Will have a good read later.

I visited Perth 18 months ago to see my sister. She lives in Bateman and now Bullcreek. I have friends also who live near Freemantle. Yes, we would rent until we have found our feet. My husband would obviously work straight away.

So, with regards to schooling. What are the term dates/start etc as here new school year is Sept. She is currently in Year 1. She will be taking first holy communion next year hopefully followed by confirmation.

Thank you again.
Today we started Term 4, which will end mid December for the very long summer holidy, until early February. Term 1 of 2011 starts on Wed 2 February. There are 4 terms, with 2 weeks holiday between each term, except for the long holiday at end of Term 4, link here:
http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/t...ture.html#2011

These are dates for state schools, non-govt schools vary slightly. Search for Catholic Education Office for dates for their schools.

The age for starting school is different here. It depends when in 2005 she was born - see calculator:
http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/ece/calculator.html

Ages run from 1 July to 30 June the following year. So, your daughter might start Year 1 in 2011 (year 1 is 1st compulsory year) or pre-primary in 2011, depending on her birthday.

If you want to live near your sister and friend, you would probably find it most convenient to live south of the river (SOR). I live NOR, so don't know much about schools over there. Others on here might know that area better as far as schools are concerned, and your sister and friend probably have contacts (there's nothing like insider knowledge).
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Weebie, are you talking about state schools?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am not sure how to take that reply. I am just trying to get a recommendation for christian schools and whether or not they have good reputations etc. If someone was to ask my advice if moving here I would simply give them a rough idea of which ones are ok and which ones to avoid. Like here for the best schooling you have to pay but saying that the state schools are good in this area and I am a firm believer that alot of schooling depends on the child him/hersel anyway.
Insider knowledge is very important when it comes to deciding if a school is right for your child. The NAPLAN scores give you an idea, plus there's an index there for SES percentiles.

You can pay enormous amounts of money here, or very little, and still have good quality (or poor quality).

I remember talking to a mum whose kids went to a Catholic school SOR. She wasn't too happy with them because she didn't think they aimed high enough. She mentioned that there was a special unit for the school girls who had babies, so that they could take their babies to school to be looked after in a creche while they continued their education. A worthwhile programme, but I could see the point that this mum was making. Also, it seems to be a feature of Catholic schools that they will enrol children from low SES homes, a social conscience approach (again, very worthwhile). However, if there are a lot of kids like this at a school, it might not be your cup of tea socially or educationally.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Insider knowledge is very important when it comes to deciding if a school is right for your child. The NAPLAN scores give you an idea, plus there's an index there for SES percentiles.

You can pay enormous amounts of money here, or very little, and still have good quality (or poor quality).

I remember talking to a mum whose kids went to a Catholic school SOR. She wasn't too happy with them because she didn't think they aimed high enough. She mentioned that there was a special unit for the school girls who had babies, so that they could take their babies to school to be looked after in a creche while they continued their education. A worthwhile programme, but I could see the point that this mum was making. Also, it seems to be a feature of Catholic schools that they will enrol children from low SES homes, a social conscience approach (again, very worthwhile). However, if there are a lot of kids like this at a school, it might not be your cup of tea socially or educationally.
Thanks ever so much, I am going to sit down tonight and have a darn good read at all the links. You're a star
Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:36 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Another thing about BE and School advice is everyone thinks there child is a star
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

Another thing about BE and School advice is everyone thinks there child is a star
Oh I know. I just want my child to be happy and continue collecting snails and slugs for me lol.