Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on buying a car

Advice on buying a car

Old Feb 21st 2005, 11:13 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Advice on buying a car

Hi,

Can someone tell me if you have to have a permanent address to buy/insure a car inOz?

My wife and I are going to be going to Brisbane at Easter. We want to fly in, get in a taxi and go straight to a hotel for a kip! There after, one of the first things we plan on doing is buying a cheap car just to get us around until we are truely settled - i.e. going to view rentals, job interviews, etc. Once we've done all that we'll either keep the car or buy something else.

When you tax a car, does that also cover third party insurance/rego, etc? I just can't get my head round how it would all work. I really don't want to wait three or four days until we're renting before being able to buy a car!

Cheers,

Rob
Old Feb 21st 2005, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Koza is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advice on buying a car

Registration will cost something like 700-800$. This includes Third Party Personal insurance. However, normally the car you buy is registered for a few months, so you dont have to worry about it straight away. Third party property or comprehensive insurances have to be arranged separately.

About address - don't know. I guess, you don't need it for registration, but need for insurance. For a short term it may be cheaper to rent a car, as you will lose a fair lot reselling it... Why do you think it's a problem to buy a good one fast? Unless you want to order it, it may be done even in one day.