Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on areas to live in OZ

Advice on areas to live in OZ

Old Feb 4th 2010, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

brindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant future
Default Advice on areas to live in OZ

We are thinking of emmigrating to OZ.
Requirements:-

Not 'too' hot
Open areas where our dogs can be let off and not overcrowded
Prefer to live in a more rural/ open area but then not too far to travel to work
Employment for a Social Worker and Builder/bricklayer.

Any Ideas on possible places.

Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2010, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on areas to live in OZ

Not too hot, all places get hot days in summer.

Tasmania is a cool place being an Island, rural areas are lovely.

Victoria country areas can be very hot in summer, cold in winter.

Living close to work you would need to get jobs first before deciding where to live if you want a short commute in any of the large centres such as Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Brisbane.

Social workers are being sought in the Latrobe Valley in Victoria and if you have a look on Seek the employment site you will probably find details.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Put in a plug for ACT here. It isnt called the bush capital for nothing! Weatherwise it has nice seasonal changes but of course it can get hot in summer - as can pretty much anywhere else in Aus.

Social workers, especially child protection workers, are always in demand it seems. The brickies I know seem to be doing OK.

No one in Canberra travels very far for work - it's only about 45 minutes from the very top to the very bottom without traffic and you wouldnt be doing that every day because most of the employment sits within one or other of the city hubs. It would be rare for anyone to travel more than half an hour to work. There are some "villages" (which look absolutely nothing like English villages though) in the surrounding areas.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough

Hi Brindy

Everyone is going to give you a different answer, they all like where they are living and think its the best place in the country and i am no different. The Coffs Harbour region, reasonable house prices, not too crowded, 15 mins from the CBD and your out into the bush, 2 mins from the CBD and your onto miles of nearly deserted beaches, it has been voted has having 'Australia's most livable temperature'. Check out http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se...offs%20Harbour and see what you think.

Bob
Old Feb 11th 2010, 8:10 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

I love Coffs Harbour! Don't know about employment in the areas you mention, you'd need to check the job sites and perhaps see what the region currently has on it's 'on demand' list with DIAC. But as for your other points well you'd find what you want here.

Of course I agree with Bob tho - everyone will suggest somewhere different to you and swear it's beyond doubt the best place to be, because everyone has different boxes to tick. For example, everything I need in Coffs is within a 10-15 minute drive of everything else, if not much less. Canberra being 45 minutes drive one end to the other isn't a seller at all for me, in fact the opposite, when I can cycle all over the whole of Coffs in less than that (plus there's something like 35 beaches within 45 minutes drive of here, not just a bunch of streets and building ) Sure, Canberra probably has lots of stuff Coffs doesn't have, but I have everything I want here (altho marmite is in short supply) and so am very happy :-)

Best of luck if you choose to go ahead and start the process. It can be a long and windy road but it's well worth it in the end if you're successful!

Last edited by PamE; Feb 11th 2010 at 8:12 pm.