Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Parents emigrating - where do you live?

Parents emigrating - where do you live?

Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Bindo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parents emigrating - where do you live?

This is a question for any parents who have moved to Oz to be with their offspring. Just wondering where you live. Do people generally move quite near to their sons/daughters, bearing in mind that younger people usually want something entirely different from their surroundings to what their parents might want. The young ones, especially with family might want to live further out from a city in order to be able to afford a larger house whereas older people might want to be close to transport links and want somewhere with a more community feel to it. It would obviously be nice to be close, but not too close!

Also wondering about facilities/clubs etc for older people and how well they are catered for in Oz. I am assuming that older people have a more active, outdoor lifestyle than in the UK. Anyone know any areas which are really 'older generation friendly' in the Perth area?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Parents emigrating - where do you live?

Hi , my folks moved to Perth about 18 months ago and live in Tapping (Northern suberbs) about 5 mins drive from us which is very handy! They like getting out and about, bought bikes but not really sporty types. They joined a group called the Northern Freindship group which meets regularly for local outings, bbq's at their homes in turn etc and the U3A (University of the 3rd Age run by UWA) which has interest groups/talks/lectures. They have made loads of good friends through these and have a far better social life than we do!!
There are also Lifestyle Villages for over 45s ie gated housing complex with pool/bowls/club house etc if you like that kind of thing....
Hope that helps for starters!
HB x
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Over 45?!

Blimey, I'm 44 with a 3 year old - SO far off retirement it's not true!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Bindo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HugoB
Hi , my folks moved to Perth about 18 months ago and live in Tapping (Northern suberbs) about 5 mins drive from us which is very handy! They like getting out and about, bought bikes but not really sporty types. They joined a group called the Northern Freindship group which meets regularly for local outings, bbq's at their homes in turn etc and the U3A (University of the 3rd Age run by UWA) which has interest groups/talks/lectures. They have made loads of good friends through these and have a far better social life than we do!!
There are also Lifestyle Villages for over 45s ie gated housing complex with pool/bowls/club house etc if you like that kind of thing....
Hope that helps for starters!
HB x
Thanks for that - that's useful. We are thinking of applying for a CPV to join family in Oz. Much as we love them we do want some life of our own. Sounds like there is plenty going on for folks of our age.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Over 45?!

Blimey, I'm 44 with a 3 year old - SO far off retirement it's not true!
Jeez - I'm with you on that one! Four years to go 'till I'm eligible for the 'Lifestyle Village.' Daren't tell my OH who's 2 years younger than me - he'll never let me hear the end of it