Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

advice about bondi/coogee

advice about bondi/coogee

Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future
Default advice about bondi/coogee

i'm thinking of moving there soon cos i can no longer stand the western suburbs of sydney - i'm gradually turning into a zombie here
but i've been told the nightlife is really violent on the weekends, even as bad as glasgow or middlesborough
is this true?
Old Oct 17th 2008, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice about bondi/coogee

It wouldn't supprise me, they are full of backpackers. I know someone in Coogee who was randomly punched in the face one evening for no reason (a girl).
Old Oct 18th 2008, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
It wouldn't supprise me, they are full of backpackers. I know someone in Coogee who was randomly punched in the face one evening for no reason (a girl).
yes i know about that but i've heard everyone is at it - poms,aussies,islanders,
that irish fella is still in a coma
Old Oct 18th 2008, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

TrentEnd will become famous soon enough

Allegedly, it's mainly Pacific Islanders and groups of Lebanese who go down there looking for a fight, mainly on Saturday nights.

Aside from that Coogee is lovely! Don't know so much about Bondi at night.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 5:44 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Coogee is one of my fave places. I go there at least twice a week as i live nearby.
It is lovely during the day, but i wouldnt go there at night.
If i were you take a look at Randwick where i live. It is only a stones throw away, but you wouldnt get the hassles at night.

I hate Bondi. Its a dump.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

TrentEnd will become famous soon enough

Alternatively, Clovelly (just up the road) is very nice and quiet, yet Coogee beach is only a 10 minute walk away.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in Coogee for years. It's perfectly safe in the evening - the main drag is wall-to-wall cafes and restaurants teeming with normal, well-behaved people.
The two pubs have excellent security and you rarely hear of trouble on the premises. They're extremely strict on drinking ages and trouble-makers are kicked out pronto. I have no qualms about going anywhere in Coogee in the evenings.

Like anywhere, the time to take care is in the early hours of the morning - when the drinkers have been turfed out and are wandering the streets. The Irish guy was attacked a fair distance from the Coogee Bay Hotel in a side street - and it happened about 3 in the morning.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

you could always just carry a gun.