Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone haveanopinion on this project management course?

Anyone haveanopinion on this project management course?

Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default Anyone haveanopinion on this project management course?

I thought I would be proactive and take a project management course on line over the next couple of months. Aus seems to like certificates !

Does anyone have an opinion on the following course? Is it recognized? Is it a good company? Are there "better" courses to take for senior project management opportunities?

PMI Project Management Professional (PMP) run by Seek Learning

Any opinions?

Nix
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone haveanopinion on this project management course?

Hi,

It depends on what type of project management this is for. Property seems to be different to Business project management.

Have you got Six Sigma? Or similiar? I was doing project managment in Business in my last job and Six sigma and process improvment. I haven't heard of the course that is run on seek, but if its good and doesn't cost too much you can never really have too many Project management quals. i have also done the training for Microsoft project, there were project managers from all industires there.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:55 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

According to my husband, who sells related software (and has worked as a PM, as have I), PMI is a respected institute and the PMP course should be ok but Prince II seems to be more popular here in Aus.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 12:13 am
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

I've done the Prince2 project management course and also the Microsoft Project Software training. Aus prefers the Prince2 qualification but ...... the cert only lasts for 3 years then you have redo. This is because standards change and to keep up to date you have to keep redoing the training.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Blossom
I've done the Prince2 project management course and also the Microsoft Project Software training. Aus prefers the Prince2 qualification but ...... the cert only lasts for 3 years then you have redo. This is because standards change and to keep up to date you have to keep redoing the training.
I thought it was 3 years for Prince too but when I looked at the website it seems it is now 5 years, I assume this changed when the exam changed to all multi guess as I only found out when I checked when mine ws expiring as I thought it ran out this year.

As others have said Aus seems to be Prince2 or PMBOK
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:21 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

In order to gain a certificate in PMI you have to have x thousand billable project management hours under your belt I think.

Prince2 is easier to get and is as well regarded.

Buzzy
Prince2 project manager extraordinaire.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:39 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
In order to gain a certificate in PMI you have to have x thousand billable project management hours under your belt I think.

Buzzy
PMI has extremely stringent certification qualifications- the course alone wont cut it. If you are looking to get certified you should assess your career history against the PMI Certification requirements. I know when I did it I had to submit something like a 30 page CV showing detailed org charts of the projects I'd run, P&L for them , stakeholders etc... it was tough.

The test itself was also quite hard - lots of mechanics - [ well I thought it was tough but I didnt revise much ] it has a lot emphasis on the work breakdown structure and earned value.

Also when you qualify for PMI you have to re-certify , again based on continued on the job experience, I let mine lapse because I switched careers.

I can remember PMI as a tough 6mths training [ part-time whilst working ] and heavily reliant upon past experience and work experience. I think I was 28 when I did it and really struggled with the experience.

By the way - in terms of recognition - PMI is recognised globally. I have people in my company here in Aust with PMI and in UK - its a requirement for our organisation before you progress through certain promotion levels in the project managemnt organisations or project delivery.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:58 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
^^ what he said.

NJ
Prince2 project manager, Sr., extraordinaire <grin>

Seriously though, Prince2 is much more focussed on managerial aspect of running your project, whereas imho, the PMI leans toward running your project as if it was a separate company.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

Thanks for the input.
I have been a project manager for many years (and have two degrees, but they are not related to the work I do!) but never got certified in any way, as it has never really been necessary in the countries that I have worked in. I guess I do general business project management.
Ideally, I would like to remain self employed in Aus, and stick with my work experience. Doing a little "googling" of the oportunities, it seems that they all ask for certification....not only work experience.
So I thought I would get that.....
Seems that whether it is PMI or Prince2 it doesn't really make a difference as they simply want paperwork?
So....on line courses here I come !
Old Aug 16th 2008, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=newjersey;6685121

Seriously though, Prince2 is much more focussed on managerial aspect of running your project, whereas imho, the PMI leans toward running your project as if it was a separate company.[/QUOTE]

Is that not a better idea? What does the industry want?
Old Aug 17th 2008, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone have anopinion on this project management course?

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
I thought I would be proactive and take a project management course on line over the next couple of months. Aus seems to like certificates !

Does anyone have an opinion on the following course? Is it recognized? Is it a good company? Are there "better" courses to take for senior project management opportunities?

PMI Project Management Professional (PMP) run by Seek Learning

Any opinions?

Nix
Having a qualification is indeed a good start, as many agents won't let you get past first base without that (no doubt a billion readers will now site examples to the contrary)! And PMI and Prince2 are of the best ones to have - and I'd say PMI is the more common. After that you end up in an interview which you need to talk to your own experience.

Neil
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

pmhut is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

First things first, getting a PMP will not make you a Senior Project Manager and I don't think it will even open doors for you for Senior Project Management positions.

PMP is mainly used in North America (PRINCE2 is almost unheard of there) and the rest of the world except for Europe (especially the UK) and a few other countries. PRINCE2 is dominant in the UK and the rest of Europe.

To apply for PMP or PRINCE2 you should be already a Project Manager with a minimum of 4,500 hours of experience (check this article about PMP Eligibility for the full requirements). Note that PMP has a random verification process (eg. they choose applicants randomly and they check if they really meet the requirements or not).

In case you don't have the experience already, then you need to get into Project Management in order to have the proper hours. Now the question is how do you do that when Project Management jobs all require you to have previous experience.

This can be done in multiple ways:

1. Slowly take Project Management tasks in your company.
2. If the above is not possible, then try to volunteer (lots of jobs of volunteering PM jobs out there).
3. Network Network Network: meet people, a lot of people love to help and will help.

I hope I have answered your question.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

pmhut - thanks for taking the time to reply and giving an alternate perspective. That is the beauty of these forums.
As it turns out, I have not yet actioned the certification, but it is high on my priority list, and I will look into both options very closely.
I have well in excess of 4500 hours of project management experience, as I have been self employed in project management for the last 11 years - first in South Africa, and now Aruba. So I guess the checking will be the challenge, but the experience is there.

Stupid question......is this certification REALLY necessary? It is quite expensive to get certifed from what my research shows....and does it really make a difference when push comes to shove? My CV is quite extensive with many contactable references all over the world....
I currently work on three major projects, have a 5 year old child, and am working on the move to Aus, so liquidating assetts and managing the logistics of moving halfway across the world (literally!)......it would be nice if I was not trying to fit in a certification course (and of course the exam which would involve international travel for me)...... Just a thought.....

Nix
Old Oct 15th 2008, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

pmhut is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite frankly, I think it's only necessary for junior Project Managers, or Project Managers with questionable experience (eg. from low profile companies) that are seeking better opportunities. This article about PMI'S PMP Certification is interesting. What's even more interesting is the comments, highlighting whether PMP is really worth it or not.

Passing the exam is not piece of cake btw, even if you're experienced (I had some excellent Project Managers contacting me on PM Hut and saying that they failed the exam). The PMP exam is a theory exam, and your responses to the questions must always be in the context of an ideal project management world (which is a bit weird, you can't just answer a decision question by taking into consideration just one sentence).

Studying hard for the PMP (reading books, taking mockup exams, etc...) is the key, there are lots of people with little or no Project Management experience who passed the exam because they did study hard (very hard). On the other hand, there are some excellent Project Managers who failed the exam because they just didn't take it seriously and thought they had all that it takes (which theoretically should be true) to pass this exam.

PMP is dominant in Australia, so I think it's a good idea to have it and it might increase your value in the job market.

Sidenote Question: Why do you want to leave Aruba?
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:49 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone haveanopinion on this project management course?

Originally Posted by pmhut
To apply for PMP or PRINCE2 you should be already a Project Manager with a minimum of 4,500 hours of experience
Not the case for Prince2. You can certify all the way with Prince2 with 0 hours of PM experience. Applies to PMP only.

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.