Advice !

Old May 12th 2005, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice !

Dear All,
This is my first post and I would like advice !

We currently live & work in N.Z and have N.Z PR, our youngest has a N.Z passport.

I have been offered employment in Sydney on a 457 visa, can some one please put my mind at rest !

I have read the threads regarding this type of visa and to me the draw back is if the employer does not or will not help to obtain PR, could I obtain PR once in Aus myself and how hard, easy and long would it take ?

I will be on $60k basic + commission + car OTE $100, is this a good wage for Sydney ?

If we go for it and leave N.Z our PR status will expire after 6 months then if it all turns pair shaped over in AUS we would have to go back to the UK, this to us is not a option !

Has any one got any ideas or advice ?

Ian
Old May 12th 2005, 2:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice !

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Dear All,
This is my first post and I would like advice !

We currently live & work in N.Z and have N.Z PR, our youngest has a N.Z passport.

I have been offered employment in Sydney on a 457 visa, can some one please put my mind at rest !

I have read the threads regarding this type of visa and to me the draw back is if the employer does not or will not help to obtain PR, could I obtain PR once in Aus myself and how hard, easy and long would it take ?

I will be on $60k basic + commission + car OTE $100, is this a good wage for Sydney ?

If we go for it and leave N.Z our PR status will expire after 6 months then if it all turns pair shaped over in AUS we would have to go back to the UK, this to us is not a option !

Has any one got any ideas or advice ?

Ian
Points to note:

1. Read this thread before considering a 457 visa
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447
School fees are normally charged to the children of 457 holders in NSW, however as a New Zealand citizen your child *may* be exempt. You would have to check with NSW.

2. Can you get PR independently of the employer if he refuses to sponsor for PR? It depends on circumstances - http://www.immi.gov.au

3. Have you lived in NZ long enough to get an indefinite RRV? http://www.immigration.govt.nz

4. At the very least you should not leave NZ without indefinite RRVs (unless you get immediate PR in Australia). How long have you lived in NZ?

But New Zealand citizenship would be even better. The new 5 year residence rule would not apply to you as you are PRs already (provided you apply before 2010) - but bear in mind that if you leave and return, that even if you keep your PR, you may have broken the continuity of residence and would have to re-start the 5 year clock from scratch.

I think you should be very cautious before leaving New Zealand unless:

- you get NZ citizenship; or
- your Australian employer sponsors you for PR *before* you leave NZ. And even then you should at least have an indefinite RRV for NZ, if you've been there 2 years.

Jeremy
Old May 12th 2005, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, its food for thought !

I have wrote all my worries down and sent it to them, they want me to start work 6th June however I have to give 1 months notice to my current employer.
So it would be better to get the new Aus employer to start the PR process now, how do I know I would get PR or is it a cert with the 457 visa ?
How would I know he has applied for PR on my behalf without upsetting him ?

What would you do ?

Ian
Old May 12th 2005, 3:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
So it would be better to get the new Aus employer to start the PR process now, how do I know I would get PR or is it a cert with the 457 visa ?
How would I know he has applied for PR on my behalf without upsetting him ?

What would you do ?

Ian
There are no 'certs' where PR is concerned.

If you want to play safe then your Australian employer needs to sponsor you for PR now. It is unlikely the process will be completed by 6th June, even though ENS PR is prioritised, as now a skill assessment is required for immediate PR.

You probably need to be up-front about this with your employer now you are at 'job-offer' stage. If the employer can't wait, or won't sponsor for PR, then you need to think very hard about whether you want to turn down the job and stay in New Zealand for now.

Once you have your NZ passports you will be able to live in Australia anyway, if you still want to, and although you'll still need PR it should be easier to obtain onshore (provided you are 'skilled' and aged under 45 at the time).

However one of the requirements for NZ citizenship is that you intend to stay living in NZ, so you can only decide to move to Australia after being sworn in as a citizen.

Ultimately it's your choice, but if you abandon New Zealand without securing your status there, you might well end up on a one-way flight to the UK if things in Australia don't work out. Or you may have to wait many years longer for NZ citizenship.

Jeremy