Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adverts on Austar! Was there ads on SKY?

Adverts on Austar! Was there ads on SKY?

Old Aug 1st 2005, 10:01 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Adverts on Austar! Was there ads on SKY?

I've just subscribed to Austar and it shows adverts during most things, I don’t mind the ‘what’s coming up soon’ type of advert but it also has adverts selling goods. It costs $76 a month and I’ve still got bloody adverts! Can anyone tell me are there commercial adverts on UK’s SKY tv?

Too late I’ve signed up for 2 years! And its pretty pants too! I went out and bought a board game called ‘midlife crisis’ to try and avoid the TV, and that’s pants too! Anyone want any money as I’m currently throwing it away on useless things. I wonder what I’ll waste it on tomorrow, maybe I should subscribe to more channels, at least I’d get some entertainment from cycling through all the dross.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Adverts on Austar! Was there ads on SKY?

Loads of ads on Sky, only good thing is that they don't put them on during a film so there are no interuptions, unfortunately they save em all up for when the film ends.
The rest of the channels on sky all have ads.
British eurosport have ads in the middle of the races when I'm watching bike racing! It is a free channel though so I can't really complain.

What annoys me here is that sky and now ITV have an ad break after about 5 mins of a program!!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Adverts on Austar! Was there ads on SKY?

Originally Posted by arkon
I've just subscribed to Austar and it shows adverts during most things, I don’t mind the ‘what’s coming up soon’ type of advert but it also has adverts selling goods. It costs $76 a month and I’ve still got bloody adverts! Can anyone tell me are there commercial adverts on UK’s SKY tv?

Too late I’ve signed up for 2 years! And its pretty pants too! I went out and bought a board game called ‘midlife crisis’ to try and avoid the TV, and that’s pants too! Anyone want any money as I’m currently throwing it away on useless things. I wonder what I’ll waste it on tomorrow, maybe I should subscribe to more channels, at least I’d get some entertainment from cycling through all the dross.

LOL!!!! Foxtel isn't much better! We have 2 wee ones and have had to put the parental lock on the programmes because they have accidently pressed buttons on the remote at 9am and tuned into a full autopsy or "pulp fiction" or the like ! No watershed here ! I also hate rushing to see a programme when I hear the opening theme, jumping into my comfy chair just in time to see ----the adverts !! Very annoying !!
You can throw your money to me tomorrow if you want
I could do with a fun day out---in Scotland.
All the best,
Tass.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

What suprised me here is the blur in distinction between programme and advert. Not necessarily an Austar or Foxtel fault though. Try any quiz show (Temptation Channel 9 7pm is a good example). The prizes are actually just long trailers for the products/prizes manufacturers, they even get to throw their slogan, promos in to it.

And programs like Better Homes and Gardens (Channel 7 7:30 Friday nights) is just one long advert. They can't mention a weed killer or a varnish or a cooker with name checking the brand and telling us about is great qualities.

Or there used to be a program, I don't know if its still on on a Saturday morning called 'Bright Ideas'. Now that LITERALLY was a two hour long advert. It was like the shopping channel, except it was on one of the terrestrial channels at a decent time on a Saturday morning. It had us brainwashed when we first arrived here. Everything had to be 3M Scotch tape. I assume they were one of the major sponsors. Every 3rd 'birght idea' was a type of scotch tape!

Mrs JTL
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:23 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
What suprised me here is the blur in distinction between programme and advert. Not necessarily an Austar or Foxtel fault though. Try any quiz show (Temptation Channel 9 7pm is a good example). The prizes are actually just long trailers for the products/prizes manufacturers, they even get to throw their slogan, promos in to it.

And programs like Better Homes and Gardens (Channel 7 7:30 Friday nights) is just one long advert. They can't mention a weed killer or a varnish or a cooker with name checking the brand and telling us about is great qualities.

Or there used to be a program, I don't know if its still on on a Saturday morning called 'Bright Ideas'. Now that LITERALLY was a two hour long advert. It was like the shopping channel, except it was on one of the terrestrial channels at a decent time on a Saturday morning. It had us brainwashed when we first arrived here. Everything had to be 3M Scotch tape. I assume they were one of the major sponsors. Every 3rd 'birght idea' was a type of scotch tape!

Mrs JTL
LOL, I'm surprised it wasn't sticky backed plastic! Its not just the programs that do this shameful selling of products, it’s the unbiased news too! How do you keep your skin so healthy Mrs. weather reader? Oh I use oil of olay! “. Or my favorite.. Don’t buy second hand cars because you could get ripped off, a new study has found today…This program is sponsored by Toyota your proudly Australian car dealer.