Administration jobs in Brisbane

Administration jobs in Brisbane

Old Jan 16th 2007, 3:26 am
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough
Default Administration jobs in Brisbane

Hi

We are living in Adelaide at the moment but heading for Brissie in June ( hopefully)

Can anyone tell me what the situation for administration work is like ( non temping)

It took me ages to get a job in Adelaide.. " who you know not what!" and as most do i had to start from the bottom again. I am hoping with the ozzie experience i have now got will put me in a better position than before

I am currently Senior Admin Officer AS03 position within the SA gov.. Is there anyone with similiar experience who is trying to get work???? I know to search on seek etc.. i just want to hear from horses mouth..

Thanks

K
Old Jan 16th 2007, 6:50 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Administration jobs in Brisbane

Originally Posted by Sye
Hi

We are living in Adelaide at the moment but heading for Brissie in June ( hopefully)

Can anyone tell me what the situation for administration work is like ( non temping)

It took me ages to get a job in Adelaide.. " who you know not what!" and as most do i had to start from the bottom again. I am hoping with the ozzie experience i have now got will put me in a better position than before

I am currently Senior Admin Officer AS03 position within the SA gov.. Is there anyone with similiar experience who is trying to get work???? I know to search on seek etc.. i just want to hear from horses mouth..

Thanks

K

Have you tried this one?...some government vacancies on here

http://jobsearch.gov.au/government/d....aspx?WHCode=0
Old Jan 16th 2007, 7:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sye
Hi

Thanks

K

Prepare to be patient. Apply for AO2 as well as AO3 as the majority of AO3s go to people working up from the bottom, but with AO3 experience from SA you might stand a reasonable chance.
The one glimmer of hope I will give to people looking for govt admin jobs in Qld - they are gradually changing the application procedure across the State departments. Whereas it has always been submitting a resume and a lengthy selection criteria, they are now moving quickly into a scheme where the application is more tailored to the post - some will still ask for Sel Crit to be submitted, but some now just ask for a resume - in which case be careful to emphasise the right bits. Other are asking for things like a 2 page submission describing "your experience with public record keeping" for a records post, or "your experience in a youth-orientated position" for work with Emergency Services cadets.
It means we have to read each Role Description carefully before we submit applications, to make sure what the requirements for the application really are, but it does mean that those of us who are new to the whole Selection Criteria thing have a better chance!

The link trigger has posted is where almost all govt jobs will be found, and is the best place to look for govt admin.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 7:45 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing like lengthening the odds against.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 10:41 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sye
Hi

Thanks

K

Moving around Australia is certainly not going to increase your chances of finding work.

Put yourself in the employers shoes:

If you had a decent candidate who was born and bred in Brisbane up against someone with a funny accent from the other side of the world, who lived & failed in Adelaide and uped and moved to Brisbane leaving her Adelaide employer in the lurch.

Who would you choose..

I find it odd when immigrants find it unusual that it takes them a while to find work. Of course the home grown folk will be picked first. The same happens in the UK. Just be thankful you're not black or arab.

Anyhow, with a bit of patience, the right job will come up. Best of luck!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

fluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud of

Hi K,

I applied for over 100 Admin/Internal Sales jobs in Adelaide and got absolutely nowhere...probably about 3 or 4 sorry but no thanks letters .

We moved to Queensland and I applied for 2 jobs out of curiosity.......got an interview for both and have been working for one of them since I got here. The one thing that did strike me at both interviews was that they both said "We wont bother asking why you left Adelaide" and they had a big cheesy grin and struck a conversation about Adelaide for a few minutes to which I wont go into for the we love adelaide people.

I wouldnt worry too much and just what where you get when your here.

Marie

P.S Both mine were advertised on careerone.com.au
Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:18 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fluffy1
Hi K,

I applied for over 100 Admin/Internal Sales jobs in Adelaide and got absolutely nowhere...probably about 3 or 4 sorry but no thanks letters .

We moved to Queensland and I applied for 2 jobs out of curiosity.......got an interview for both and have been working for one of them since I got here. The one thing that did strike me at both interviews was that they both said "We wont bother asking why you left Adelaide" and they had a big cheesy grin and struck a conversation about Adelaide for a few minutes to which I wont go into for the we love adelaide people.

I wouldnt worry too much and just what where you get when your here.

Marie

P.S Both mine were advertised on careerone.com.au

Vash is from Adelaide - need I say more.

(does he still post here?)
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:03 pm
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=MD09;4291958]

If you had a decent candidate who was born and bred in Brisbane up against someone with a funny accent from the other side of the world, who lived & failed in Adelaide and uped and moved to Brisbane leaving her Adelaide employer in the lurch.

QUOTE]

I certainly didnt fail in Adelaide??? quite the opposite really.. we both have outgrown the place very quicky and with Si being an Civil Engineer.. he has to move to wherer the larger projects are.. like most do

I also dont find it unusual that i had to start at the bottom.. however it will frustrate me having to do it all again if i have too.. I used to be an area manager in the UK, had to start as a receptionist in Adelaide and moved up 2 levels within a year.. now on the brink of another increase.. so i suppose i was just hoping that that would give me a better start than say " this time 2 years ago.. just off the boat etc etc"

I will take whatever, but i suppose i was just hoping i may not need to start completely all over again.. It was a hard slog over here in Adelaide..

Pollyanna:

Thanks for the info.. appreciated

Karen
Old Jan 18th 2007, 1:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09

I find it odd when immigrants find it unusual that it takes them a while to find work. Of course the home grown folk will be picked first. The same happens in the UK. Just be thankful you're not black or arab.
The ironic thing here is that one of the permanent jobs I have failed to get went to another Pom, who had been here the same length of time as me. Only difference, she came on a PR Skills visa that her husband got, I came on a Temporary Spouse Visa. She got the job because she had the PR before I did. (and if she's reading this, no hard feelings! Thats just life!!)