Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First Home Owner Grant question

First Home Owner Grant question

Old Jan 17th 2007, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

clan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really nice
Question First Home Owner Grant question

Hi

if I buy a property, dont live in it, dont rent it out, and leave it empty for 6 months,
is there anything to stop me claiming the First Home Owner Grant ?
I mean is there any way for whoever governs this thing to know whether
I have resided in the property as my main residence or not ?

Regards

Neil
Old Jan 17th 2007, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First Home Owner Grant question

http://www.firsthome.gov.au/

Just got to move in within a year
Old Jan 17th 2007, 4:54 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clan_campbell
Hi

if I buy a property, dont live in it, dont rent it out, and leave it empty for 6 months,

Regards

Neil
According to the info here - http://www.fhog.info/index_files/fhog_eligibility.htm

which states to be eligible:
"At least one applicant will occupy the home as their principle place of residence for a continuous period of six months, commencing within 12 months of settlement or construction of the home. "

So from that id say you could move in 11months after settlement for 6months continuous and be ok.

Steve
Old Jan 17th 2007, 5:47 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Any more rumours about it going up to $12000
Old Jan 17th 2007, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu

No, not heard anything.

I've got an advisor coming round next week. I'll see what he knows

Knowing my luck it'll go up when I've already bought somewhere
Old Jan 17th 2007, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
I asked the financial advisor in the bank yesterday and she said that it's a rumor that has been going around for over 12 months but noting confirmed. She also said that she has noticed the bank has definitely started offering less amounts of money on mortgage's in case of a crash
Tracie
Old Jan 17th 2007, 6:16 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Regards

Neil
try

http://www.firsthome.gov.au/
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

clan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really nice

Thanks all,

ok, regardless of the ethical and dishonesty side of things,
what i'm trying to say is, if I buy a property but dont live in it (ie I
am living somewhere else) can I get away with claiming the grant.
How would anyone "know" i am not using it as my primary residence.

Regards

Neil
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:45 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Thanks all,

ok, regardless of the ethical and dishonesty side of things,
what i'm trying to say is, if I buy a property but dont live in it (ie I
am living somewhere else) can I get away with claiming the grant.
How would anyone "know" i am not using it as my primary residence.

Regards

Neil
Because people like me, who work for the Govt, will know that a guy by the name of Neil in Sydney is doing this. Neil is not a common name here.

You will be investigated, stripped searched, made to pay back our money, and then deported with your passport stamped "BANNED".

I love working for the govt.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:48 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Btw, the grant is only likely to rise in the future for those who choose to
build.

But hey, I could be wrong. I was wrong "once" in the past about something.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MD09
Because people like me, who work for the Govt, will know that a guy by the name of Neil in Sydney is doing this. Neil is not a common name here.

You will be investigated, stripped searched, made to pay back our money, and then deported with your passport stamped "BANNED".

I love working for the govt.
You Govt people - do you really believe people post their true names and locations

Regards

Barbara, Darwin.