Reload this Page >

Adelaide vs Melbourne as Prod.Manager/Engineer

Adelaide vs Melbourne as Prod.Manager/Engineer

Old May 6th 2007, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Nick to Oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adelaide vs Melbourne as Prod.Manager/Engineer

Dear all,
haven't been here for a while, 'cause PR136 was granted and heeps of things have to be arranged...
Our plan is to settle DU in Spetember07, jobs are down and new job search is changing plans.
My question(s):
I'm currently in production management with engineering degree in mechatronics.
For a start-up I thought best would be to continue in direction production management and then see how we do. We planned settling in Adelaide (told to be more laid back, climate sounds better than in Melbourne, OAA and other help, Hahndorf (haha...))
Since I'm monitoring the job recruiting sites, I feel as being better placed in Melbourne. It seems to offer more opportunities for a smoother start-up in my profession than Adelaide.

Is there anybody, who could give me some hints, it's that time is getting closer and arrangements have to be done.

Thanks for any help
Cheers
Andy
Old May 6th 2007, 10:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide vs Melbourne as Prod.Manager/Engineer

Originally Posted by Nick to Oz
Dear all,
haven't been here for a while, 'cause PR136 was granted and heeps of things have to be arranged...
Our plan is to settle DU in Spetember07, jobs are down and new job search is changing plans.
My question(s):
I'm currently in production management with engineering degree in mechatronics.
For a start-up I thought best would be to continue in direction production management and then see how we do. We planned settling in Adelaide (told to be more laid back, climate sounds better than in Melbourne, OAA and other help, Hahndorf (haha...))
Since I'm monitoring the job recruiting sites, I feel as being better placed in Melbourne. It seems to offer more opportunities for a smoother start-up in my profession than Adelaide.

Is there anybody, who could give me some hints, it's that time is getting closer and arrangements have to be done.

Thanks for any help
Cheers
Andy
As much as I love Adelaide, I think you would be better to try Melbourne. We gave Adelaide a try and my husband (electronics engineer) could not find work in nearly 8 months here. He's now living in Perth, quite happily working for a major company while I finalise everything here in Adelaide.
We also looked at moving to Melbourne when I was offered a job there, and it is a lovely city. Lots to do and see. Of course the ultimate decision is yours, but as someone who's tried ADL, I think Melbourne is a safer bet for you for work.
Old May 7th 2007, 12:50 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

I am an EE as well working in Adelaide. The opportunities are fewer and less well paid.. but the rent is cheaper and there is good food and wine... Personally however if you are starting out I would head to one of the big cities...
Old May 7th 2007, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Thanks heeps, you've strengthen my thoughts and so we will give Melbourne a try first.
Once accustomed to the Australian way and so on it might be a choice later to move on.
Thanks again
Andy
Old May 7th 2007, 8:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick to Oz
Thanks heeps, you've strengthen my thoughts and so we will give Melbourne a try first.
Once accustomed to the Australian way and so on it might be a choice later to move on.
Thanks again
Andy
It's too bad, because I've really settled well into Adelaide. I've made some really nice friends - real friends, not acquaintences - and have a job I love. Hopefully Melbourne will offer that for you. And, it's only a 50 minute flight so you can visit ADL often.
Old May 9th 2007, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It's too bad, because I've really settled well into Adelaide. I've made some really nice friends - real friends, not acquaintences - and have a job I love. Hopefully Melbourne will offer that for you. And, it's only a 50 minute flight so you can visit ADL often.
Best wishes to you, since you made it in Adelaide, you should do well in Melbourne as well.
And if things haven't changed dramtically since the last 8 years, Melbourne is still a very good place.
I'd been working there in 98/99 and enjoyed quite a bit