standby flights

Old May 8th 2007, 7:15 am
Just Joined

carlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of light
Default standby flights

standby flights or waitlisting can you still get them??
im wanting to go home and vist the family im not working so it doesnt matter about exact times and dates but have very little cash and really want to go back for a while as im very homesick anyone know any other ways of getting back cheap as possible
Old May 8th 2007, 7:49 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: standby flights

Don't think anybody does standby flights anymore, unless you are airline staff. On the plus side for you May is a "quiet" month for airlines so some deals around at the momment if you can travel soon.
Old May 8th 2007, 9:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
Don't think anybody does standby flights anymore, unless you are airline staff. On the plus side for you May is a "quiet" month for airlines so some deals around at the momment if you can travel soon.
Might be possible, you could ask the various airlines about their policy now, but the biggest hassle is if you get stuck in the middle. I have lots of friends in the airlines that use stand-by a lot, and I've heard of people getting stuck in Bangkok for 3 days, Tokyo for a week, and even Brunei for 2 days. Bit of a risk on longhaul - and thats if you can still do it.
Old May 8th 2007, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

annb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant future

im a travel agent...standby flights dont exist in Australia, if you turn up at the airport you will be charged full published airfare, therefore more expensive than walking into a travel agent on the morning that you want to fly!! e
Old May 8th 2007, 11:55 am
Just Joined

carlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of lightcarlos.c is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Might be possible, you could ask the various airlines about their policy now, but the biggest hassle is if you get stuck in the middle. I have lots of friends in the airlines that use stand-by a lot, and I've heard of people getting stuck in Bangkok for 3 days, Tokyo for a week, and even Brunei for 2 days. Bit of a risk on longhaul - and thats if you can still do it.
thanks ill try and ring a couple of airlines to see if they offer it i cant afford the $2k+ prices that are advertised on the internet and i really want to go back so a couple of days hanging round a airport i might have to do
Old May 8th 2007, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by annb
im a travel agent...standby flights dont exist in Australia, if you turn up at the airport you will be charged full published airfare, therefore more expensive than walking into a travel agent on the morning that you want to fly!! e
oh ok looks like ill be saving up
Old May 8th 2007, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Courier flights used to be a cheapish way of travelling in years gone by. Cost around half to two-thirds of the normal fare - but you had to take care of and deliver a courier satchel (or whatever) at the other end.

Don't know if any courier companies still do it - DHL definitely used to - it's worth checking out anyway.
Old May 9th 2007, 8:03 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The airline I work for don't offer standby flights to the public, purely industry staff only, and yes it can be a nightmare, I'm meant to be flying SYD-HKG-LHR-MIA-TPA next week and it is looking very tight. Long way round I know but it is for a mate's wedding. Did get stuck in Shanghai a few years ago for 4 days.