Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide I know it's been said before, but....

Adelaide I know it's been said before, but....

Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:31 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adelaide I know it's been said before, but....

OH is really keen on Adelaide in principle (which is unfortunate as we wasted our reckie on a trip to Brisbane!)

We have decided that we would like to buy straight away, like, on arrival if at all possible!

We would like to live in a 'burb which has a village feel to it, our son has been very specific about NOT living in a city or an anonymous town!
We don't want loads of shops or nightclubs on our front door step... a coffee shop to visit on a sunday morning would be perfect, but we don't mind a car trip to that! OH will probably work in an industrial setting and my work is field based so we don't need to be close to the CBD.
Ideally we want to live with like minded people... we don't have small children so have no school requirements... Nath will be doing an apprenticeship or something similar, we hope!
Ideally we'd like all of this for free, but realise that it's not going to happen!
We don't want to spend more than about $550,000, for 3/4 beds we'll compromise on the bedroom if the area is more expensive!

Any ideas where to start???
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide I know it's been said before, but....

Originally Posted by alipally
OH is really keen on Adelaide in principle (which is unfortunate as we wasted our reckie on a trip to Brisbane!)

We have decided that we would like to buy straight away, like, on arrival if at all possible!

We would like to live in a 'burb which has a village feel to it, our son has been very specific about NOT living in a city or an anonymous town!
We don't want loads of shops or nightclubs on our front door step... a coffee shop to visit on a sunday morning would be perfect, but we don't mind a car trip to that! OH will probably work in an industrial setting and my work is field based so we don't need to be close to the CBD.
Ideally we want to live with like minded people... we don't have small children so have no school requirements... Nath will be doing an apprenticeship or something similar, we hope!
Ideally we'd like all of this for free, but realise that it's not going to happen!
We don't want to spend more than about $550,000, for 3/4 beds we'll compromise on the bedroom if the area is more expensive!

Any ideas where to start???

What sort of industry is your OH in Ali? Help narrow it down a little
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:04 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Engineering and I'm a Business development Manageer in medical!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be looking around Wynn Vale, Greenwith, Golden Grove area's. A lot of the industry is around the Gepps Cross, Cavan, Edinburgh Park area's - would probably be about 10 - 15k drive.

I really like Gawler, but it is a little out of the way and is more like a 'town' than any of the suburbs.

Most of the suburbs will have a small shopping centre (with a coffee shop ), one pub maybe, and that's probably about it. The larger shopping centres are at Modbury, Munno Para and Elizabeth up this way. There's really not any 'big' town like you get in the UK, except for Adelaide CBD.

Hopefully someone will come along and expand on that, and also give some idea's for the South and the hills.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:26 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Can't get much more villagey than the townships in the Adelaide Hills. We live in Bridgewater and that offers everything you are looking for as do Stirling, Aldgate, Balhannah etc.

House prices are at about what you are looking to spend in Stirling and Aldgate and Bridgewater is a wee bit cheaper.

Fantastic area to live in our opinion and yet only 20/25 minutes to the CBD on the freeway and only 35 mins to the nearest beach and a little more to some amazing southern beaches such as Port Elliott.

Ask away if you want to know any more.

Lou
xx