Adelaide

Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide

Originally Posted by karm
that is tru,did you look at any other places before you picked adelaide?did you use the meet and greet that you get for free or did you know other people that helped you out wen you got of the aeroplane.
how did you feel,sorry about all the Qu but im getting excited

We never visited Australia at all before we came.

We didn't use the Meet and Greet because we couldn't give 6 weeks notice (or should I say as soon as the house sale money hit our account we didn't want to wait any longer to get here )

I do have an Aunt and cousins here though, so they picked us up from the airport and took us to our accomodation. We just stayed at Adelaide Shores Caravan Park for two weeks while we got a rental.

I think it did help having someone here, we got took shopping, house and car hunting, sight seeing etc. Plus I had someone to ring if I didn't know something.

I have to say when we first got out of the airport I though OH MY GOD!! It was freezing cold, grey and raining. But then I had a sleep, got up and went for a walk on the beach and it just took my breath away. From then I've felt right at home and I wouldn't be anywhere else.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:16 am
Just Joined

karm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
We never visited Australia at all before we came.

We didn't use the Meet and Greet because we couldn't give 6 weeks notice (or should I say as soon as the house sale money hit our account we didn't want to wait any longer to get here )

I do have an Aunt and cousins here though, so they picked us up from the airport and took us to our accomodation. We just stayed at Adelaide Shores Caravan Park for two weeks while we got a rental.

I think it did help having someone here, we got took shopping, house and car hunting, sight seeing etc. Plus I had someone to ring if I didn't know something.

I have to say when we first got out of the airport I though OH MY GOD!! It was freezing cold, grey and raining. But then I had a sleep, got up and went for a walk on the beach and it just took my breath away. From then I've felt right at home and I wouldn't be anywhere else.
lol wud you like to be my aunt (only joking)i think i might hav to wait for the 6 weeks.
Been told of my agent i shud get my visa in the next 4 to 6 weeks then sign the papers for the sale of my house so while thats going thru i can be doing the m and g system it is going to be daunting tho as i am by myself but hay its life and you have to live life to the full, plus i cant wait to try the surf
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

lol wud you like to be my aunt (only joking)i think i might hav to wait for the 6 weeks.
Been told of my agent i shud get my visa in the next 4 to 6 weeks then sign the papers for the sale of my house so while thats going thru i can be doing the m and g system it is going to be daunting tho as i am by myself but hay its life and you have to live life to the full, plus i cant wait to try the surf

You'll be fine. Everyone I've met so far have all been really friendly.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Define 'crap sights'
Come off it Wendy

You know that there are lots of parts of adelaide that are not exactly 'picture postcard'.

I like Adelaide as a city but it is not all rosy.

Many people move on from Adelaide as soon as their visa conditions allow.

G
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Come off it Wendy

You know that there are lots of parts of adelaide that are not exactly 'picture postcard'.

G
And many more don't. There are parts of Adelaide that I also don't really love but then again there are parts I do.

Karm, you seem very focused on the meet and greet service. It is not a reason to settle in Adelaide. It's a couple of hours of time from a volunteer who will pick you up from the airport and drop you at your rental accomodations. They will either take you shopping that day or if it's late will come back the next day to pick up the essentials. After that you are on your own. Only a very few people are granted on arrival accomodations and this is NOT free. It is a very sparsley furnished place (in your case because you are alone it would be an apartment or unit) that you pay a lower rate of rent on. They are former Housing Trust units, so not new nor fancy.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:40 am
Just Joined

JR56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevelaird
Hi all

Thinking of going to Adelaide just wondered if any one there could post some pics of the place we have never been before we have done plenty of web searches for pics but most seem to be of other places.

Cheers Steve
Hi
Try www.adelaidebound.com great site for info on Adelaide
Regards
Janet
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:25 am
Just Joined

karm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
And many more don't. There are parts of Adelaide that I also don't really love but then again there are parts I do.

Karm, you seem very focused on the meet and greet service. It is not a reason to settle in Adelaide. It's a couple of hours of time from a volunteer who will pick you up from the airport and drop you at your rental accomodations. They will either take you shopping that day or if it's late will come back the next day to pick up the essentials. After that you are on your own. Only a very few people are granted on arrival accomodations and this is NOT free. It is a very sparsley furnished place (in your case because you are alone it would be an apartment or unit) that you pay a lower rate of rent on. They are former Housing Trust units, so not new nor fancy.
hi Dorothy
Thanks for your honest reply i thort that meet and greet wud help with tax number and driving licence too? as i will only hav about 20 days to get accomodation wen i arrive because of my boxer will be with me after that.
Im just trying to get idears to make the move as easy as can be.
I have been told that adelaide is not as built up as some of the other cites so i think it will feel less daunting wen arriving plus the house market is alot cheaper but this may all change as i have never been to aus
Old Mar 16th 2007, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
Come off it Wendy

G

But you come from 'picture postcard' Lake District. I don't.

So to me, crap sights are a lot fewer here than where I was in the Uk.

It's all relative at the end of the day.

Just to add: Because of where I was born and raised, I couldn't afford to live somewhere 'picture postcard perfect' in the UK. Maybe if my parents had have been a bit richer.....
Old Mar 16th 2007, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

hi Dorothy
Thanks for your honest reply i thort that meet and greet wud help with tax number and driving licence too? as i will only hav about 20 days to get accomodation wen i arrive because of my boxer will be with me after that.
Im just trying to get idears to make the move as easy as can be.
I have been told that adelaide is not as built up as some of the other cites so i think it will feel less daunting wen arriving plus the house market is alot cheaper but this may all change as i have never been to aus

Tax Number can be done online, no worries. Let me know when you get here and I'll send you the link.

Driving Licence, there's a few transport offices about so let me know where you get your OAA and I'll send you the nearest one. They change it there and then for you, all you'll need is your passport.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevelaird
Hi all

Thinking of going to Adelaide just wondered if any one there could post some pics of the place we have never been before we have done plenty of web searches for pics but most seem to be of other places.

Cheers Steve
We took a few photos on our trip there in 2005. Some of them are up at http://www.darrall.com/gallery/v/oz/adelaide/.

Cheers

LG
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Define 'crap sights'
Main North Road?
South Road?
Grand Junction?

Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by marco121068
Main North Road?
South Road?
Grand Junction?

Not been to Grand Junction