Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Activating Optus prepaid from outside Australia

Activating Optus prepaid from outside Australia

Old Aug 2nd 2007, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Activating Optus prepaid from outside Australia

Last month I was passing through and bought a prepaid Yes Optus sim card. I will be going back next month and was wondering if I can activate it from here in Hong Kong. The process will sms to me the sim card's mobile number but will it be able to receive the sms outside of Australia?
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Mutley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Activating Optus prepaid from outside Australia

I think you have to register your sim first - you can do this online.

Can't you then get your number by *#100# ?
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

But that's just it the sim would need roaming in order to be able to receive the sms from the Optus network right? Or have I got it wrong?
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Mutley is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you are right.

I bought a optus prepaid sim from www.0044.co.uk and they say you can't make or receive calls until you arrive in Australia.

However you can register your sim before you arrive (havn't done mine yet) and even get a choice of your mobile number

Jim
Old Aug 9th 2007, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Jim,

Well I have sent Optus a message through their website TWICE and TWICE they have failed to provide an acknowledgement. Thanks Optus!
I guess I will leave it to the last possible day and attempt to register/activate over the internet.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:03 am
Account Closed

p l d k is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by discobay
Last month I was passing through and bought a prepaid Yes Optus sim card. I will be going back next month and was wondering if I can activate it from here in Hong Kong. The process will sms to me the sim card's mobile number but will it be able to receive the sms outside of Australia?
Dr Haneef will probably be the best person to talk to about that, spends a lot of time on chat rooms and always helps out with sim cards.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

How would I be able to contact Dr Haneef?
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by discobay
Hi Jim,

Well I have sent Optus a message through their website TWICE and TWICE they have failed to provide an acknowledgement. Thanks Optus!
I guess I will leave it to the last possible day and attempt to register/activate over the internet.
I tried to activate last night and an hour later switched off and on the phone but no message with my new mobile number arrived. Now it is morning here in Hong Kong and nine hours since I activated it but still no message. I sent a message to Optus via their website and contrary to their website message "Your post has been received and will be given prompt attention." I have not even been sent a confirmation that my message was received.