British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Activating Optus prepaid from outside Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/activating-optus-prepaid-outside-australia-471008/)

discobay Aug 2nd 2007 5:33 pm

Activating Optus prepaid from outside Australia

Last month I was passing through and bought a prepaid Yes Optus sim card. I will be going back next month and was wondering if I can activate it from here in Hong Kong. The process will sms to me the sim card's mobile number but will it be able to receive the sms outside of Australia?

Mutley Aug 2nd 2007 7:05 pm

Re: Activating Optus prepaid from outside Australia

I think you have to register your sim first - you can do this online.

Can't you then get your number by *#100# ?

discobay Aug 3rd 2007 1:25 am

But that's just it the sim would need roaming in order to be able to receive the sms from the Optus network right? Or have I got it wrong?

Mutley Aug 3rd 2007 6:26 am

I think you are right.

I bought a optus prepaid sim from www.0044.co.uk and they say you can't make or receive calls until you arrive in Australia.

However you can register your sim before you arrive (havn't done mine yet) and even get a choice of your mobile number

Jim

discobay Aug 9th 2007 9:22 am

Hi Jim,

Well I have sent Optus a message through their website TWICE and TWICE they have failed to provide an acknowledgement. Thanks Optus!
I guess I will leave it to the last possible day and attempt to register/activate over the internet.

p l d k Aug 9th 2007 11:03 am

Originally Posted by discobay (Post 5139448)
Last month I was passing through and bought a prepaid Yes Optus sim card. I will be going back next month and was wondering if I can activate it from here in Hong Kong. The process will sms to me the sim card's mobile number but will it be able to receive the sms outside of Australia?

Dr Haneef will probably be the best person to talk to about that, spends a lot of time on chat rooms and always helps out with sim cards.

discobay Aug 9th 2007 11:47 am

How would I be able to contact Dr Haneef?

discobay Aug 26th 2007 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by discobay (Post 5167275)
Hi Jim,

Well I have sent Optus a message through their website TWICE and TWICE they have failed to provide an acknowledgement. Thanks Optus!
I guess I will leave it to the last possible day and attempt to register/activate over the internet.

I tried to activate last night and an hour later switched off and on the phone but no message with my new mobile number arrived. Now it is morning here in Hong Kong and nine hours since I activated it but still no message. I sent a message to Optus via their website and contrary to their website message "Your post has been received and will be given prompt attention." I have not even been sent a confirmation that my message was received.