ACS Membership

Old May 17th 2002, 11:31 am
col
BE Enthusiast

col is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACS Membership

Hi all

Any IT people bothered to take up the offer of ACS Membership?
Is it worth considering?
will it help in Oz to obtain a job?

Cheers Col
Old May 17th 2002, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS Membership

My husband did, it didn't cost that much compared to what we've already shelled out. He receives a magazine every month, and various other bumf. One extra magazine arrived last month, had a cover price of $29.95 which was pricey even by our standards. Whether or not ACS membership helps him when looking for work remains to be seen.
Old May 17th 2002, 7:31 pm
col
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply Jacqui.
It can't be that popular by the response!
There offering first year membership at $50 so thought it might be worth it the BSC in this country (UK) is quite popular although it dosen't seem to have the UMMMMPH as associations like CIPD within the industry!
HEH how cares I'll join anyway!

Col
Old May 20th 2002, 4:20 am
Andrew

IMHO,

> Any IT people bothered to take up the offer of ACS Membership?
Very few - and hardly any local Aussies bother either. Apparently it was considered
important a few years ago in helping getting a job but less so recently.

> Is it worth considering?
The benefits are the same as membership with the BCS - magazines, general news and a
generic way to track your skill progression between jobs.

> will it help in Oz to obtain a job?
Not really - except possibly with the ACS itself

Regards, AndyH

col <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all
    >
    > Any IT people bothered to take up the offer of ACS Membership? Is it worth
    > considering? will it help in Oz to obtain a job?
    >
    >
    > Cheers Col

Old May 20th 2002, 8:00 pm
col
BE Enthusiast

Andy

Thanks for the reply I've beeen getting the feeling that most people are ignoring it. I think I will apply though it might have it's uses!

Cheers

Col
Old May 21st 2002, 8:20 am
Andrew

No probs col,

Apparently a few years ago the ACS were trying to get government backing so that you
could only get a job in IT if were part of the ACS and had your quals assessed by
them. But as that initiative fell flat on it's face it's still a free-for-all (like
the UK and most other countries I expect - you don't have to have any quals. to get a
job in IT just previous experience or a darn good ability to bluff your way in an
interview will do).

If you find it's got any practical uses let others in this newsgroup know. I'm not
going to bother until I find someone who tells me membership has actually helped
them (he he).

AndyH.

> Andy
    >
    > Thanks for the reply I've beeen getting the feeling that most people are ignoring
    > it. I think I will apply though it might have it's uses!
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Col

Old May 21st 2002, 9:59 am
col
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the insight Andy.
Gonna send the application off this week or next. Soon as I get some info back I'll post back (if there's anything interesting that is). Disagree with the comment about just experience required for an IT job in the UK though. Doing a paper at Uni on Certification within the IT industry. found a lot of companies want all three Academia, certification & experience! They seem to have begun to realise that if they don't specifiy exactly what thet want. They become inundated! Most will even go as far as to specify degree level e.g. 2:1 Hons. So I think things are going to get a little tougher over the coming months!
You will probably find it will be the same in Oz as well.

Col
Old May 21st 2002, 12:20 pm
Jaj

>On 20 May 2002 23:44:39 -0700, [email protected] (Andrew) wrote:
    >
    >Apparently a few years ago the ACS were trying to get government backing so that
    >you could only get a job in IT if were part of the ACS and had your quals
    >assessed by them.

A bit hard to enforce unless they were only talking about government jobs.

>
    >If you find it's got any practical uses let others in this newsgroup know. I'm not
    >going to bother until I find someone who tells me membership has actually helped
    >them (he he).
    >
    >AndyH.

I would think that as the IT industry matures, formal qualifications and professional
memberships will be more important in future than they were during the boom years.

Jeremy

Old May 22nd 2002, 3:20 am
Andrew

Hi col,

> Disagree with the comment about just experience required for an IT job in the UK
    > though. Doing a paper at Uni on Certification within the IT industry. found a lot
    > of companies want all three Academia, certification & experience!

If that's the case things seem to have changed since I left the UK in January 1999. I
was contracting before I left so I worked in quite a few client sites and
consequently I met many other IT people both contractors and permanent, and my
impression was that at that time formal qualifications didn't seem to matter as much
as having recent experience in the software language, tool, methodologies, etc. Maybe
the recent downturn has allowed employers to 'raise the bar' since then.

Yes, it has become the norm in Oz for job adverts to quote things such "3 years
real experience in developing with MS .NET" + plus VB, VC++, Weblogic, Java,
J2EE, JSP, ASP (, brain surgery, commanding destroyers in the gulf war, etc.) !
Eh what the ....?

AndyH

> Thanks for the insight Andy. Gonna send the application off this week or next. Soon
    > as I get some info back I'll post back (if there's anything interesting that is).
    > Disagree with the comment about just experience required for an IT job in the UK
    > though. Doing a paper at Uni on Certification within the IT industry. found a lot
    > of companies want all three Academia, certification & experience! They seem to have
    > begun to realise that if they don't specifiy exactly what thet want. They become
    > inundated! Most will even go as far as to specify degree level e.g. 2:1 Hons. So I
    > think things are going to get a little tougher over the coming months! You will
    > probably find it will be the same in Oz as well.
    >
    > Col

Old May 22nd 2002, 7:54 am
col
BE Enthusiast

Hi Andy

It really is becoming a pain even if you have 'All The Gods Require'
You have to make sure you word the CV spot on or 'NO WAY HOSEY' my problem is being in project engineering(ICT) I dabble with almost everything 'jack of all trades master of none' sort of thing. So bit worried about the brain surgery etc bit(made me laugh!!). Not many firms seem to require an all rounder they all want specifics!!!

Col