ACS Assesment

Old May 17th 2004, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

jonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant future
Default ACS Assesment

Hi Guys

does anyone have a example for the IT Employment Experience they can send to me, I would like to know how much to pad it out.

Would be nice if i could see what you guys who have passed the ACS skills have put down

regards

jon
[email protected]
Old May 17th 2004, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to fill in an RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) for the ACS, is it one of those that you are talking about?

I can't really post mine here as it was 54 pages long, but they basically want to know everything that you have worked on, but with a heavy slant on what you learnt, not what you did....it's more of a reflective than narrative account of your work history.

I backed the document up with references from employers going back to 1987 (though I don't think you officially have to go back this far!). I also included diagrams of systems that I had designed and also code that I had written.....basically I don't think you can write too much, just include everything you can possibly think of. One thing I would say is to have a look at the description of each of the Areas of Knowledge and try to use the same terminology, some of the things were given different names to what we would normally use in this country (or at least different to what I've come across).

I got my visa (skilled independent) just the other day!!!

Hope that is of some help. If it's not an RPL you're talking about, please feel free to ignore this post!

Salli
Old May 17th 2004, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

jonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant future

Hi there

thanks for your reply, yes its the RPL i was talking about, i had done about 15 pages so far, and havnt even scratched the surface yet, i will keep ploding along.

to be honest i cant even remeber what i did a year ago let along 10 years ago.

regards

jon

Originally posted by Salli
I had to fill in an RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) for the ACS, is it one of those that you are talking about?

I can't really post mine here as it was 54 pages long, but they basically want to know everything that you have worked on, but with a heavy slant on what you learnt, not what you did....it's more of a reflective than narrative account of your work history.

I backed the document up with references from employers going back to 1987 (though I don't think you officially have to go back this far!). I also included diagrams of systems that I had designed and also code that I had written.....basically I don't think you can write too much, just include everything you can possibly think of. One thing I would say is to have a look at the description of each of the Areas of Knowledge and try to use the same terminology, some of the things were given different names to what we would normally use in this country (or at least different to what I've come across).

I got my visa (skilled independent) just the other day!!!

Hope that is of some help. If it's not an RPL you're talking about, please feel free to ignore this post!

Salli
Old May 17th 2004, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's any help, the way I went about it was I looked at each of the Areas of Knowledge and saw what ACS said was involved in each one e.g.

Database Management
File Processing
I/O operations
physical and logical files
buffer management
File Structure Concepts
file access
performance issues
indexed files
B-trees
indexed sequential access
B+trees
VSAM files
hashing
Schema Architecture
fact based
relational
hierarchical
network
Query Languages
foundations
query processing and optimisation
Concurrency Control
Crash Recovery and Transaction Management

I then went through and listed the topics that I had experience of....this then formed my checklist of RPL topics.

I then drafted about at least a paragraph or two showing how I had experience of each topic and what I had learnt whilst using that technology or practice (I had been told to focus on learning experiences rather than just list the things I knew). I found that for some topics I could rattle on for ages, whereas others where I didn't have as much experience it might stay at just a few paragraphs. Then, I put them all into chronological order and made sure that it still made sense. I then got someone else to read it through just to make sure. Once all that was done I started in the same way with the next section. It took me several months working on the document before I felt like I had everything in!

I seem to remember the trickiest section to do was the Ethics one. For that I took a look at the ACS codes of ethics and conduct and used those as a guideline of the sort of thing they were looking for. I found it harder to do this section as most of it you would just do without thinking about it and it's harder to come up with proof that you've learnt something.

If there's anyway I can help, let me know.

Salli