Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Accuracy of shipping times.....?

Accuracy of shipping times.....?

Old Jun 16th 2005, 9:14 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Accuracy of shipping times.....?

We are planning to book PSS tomorrow to come in and pack our belongings on 28 July and have asked for an indication of when to expect it all to be delivered at the other end. They have said that our container (a reefer - :scared: ) would be loaded on a ship on 31 July which would be due to dock in Sydney on 31 August and that we should allow 3 weeks for it to clear customs etc. This would mean that our things would be with us by about 21 September. Being that we are due to arrive on 13 September I think I can cope without too many home comforts for a week to 10 days but am I lulling myself into a false sense of security?

Binbird
Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:05 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accuracy of shipping times.....?

Originally Posted by binbird
We are planning to book PSS tomorrow to come in and pack our belongings on 28 July and have asked for an indication of when to expect it all to be delivered at the other end. They have said that our container (a reefer - :scared: ) would be loaded on a ship on 31 July which would be due to dock in Sydney on 31 August and that we should allow 3 weeks for it to clear customs etc. This would mean that our things would be with us by about 21 September. Being that we are due to arrive on 13 September I think I can cope without too many home comforts for a week to 10 days but am I lulling myself into a false sense of security?

Binbird

customs clearance in 3 weeks is normal ish it can take 4 i guess it can take 2. The shipping time itself is pretty reliable +/- a day.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:09 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Binbird
It seems to be only at Christmas that customs grind to a standstill. Should be ok with three weeks. The ship may take a bit longer if they have really bad weather on the way.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

We used PSS, they loaded our stuff 15th Apr, left port on 18th April was told it would arrive Sydney 29th May which was a friday and it did, phoned Kent (this sides team) on Tuesday to see how it was going, she looked on her records and said it cleared customs yesterday earliest delivery next tuesday. So I would strongly recommend tracking it to docking and then phoning 4 days later to check and book delivery.

Jo
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Our shippers told us 3 months but it took 6.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:56 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Our shipment was textbook, but I was absolutely convinced we would have the worst case scenario right up until it was delivered.
Our dates were: Finished packing 12 April, departed Southampton 18 April, arrived Freemantle 19 May, cleared customs 31 May, delivered 2 June. I had borrowed furniture thinking we would be in for the long haul in our new house without our stuff (moved in on 28th May) and in the end only needed the stuff for 6 days!!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 11:29 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your responses and advice. I have just read Petra's thread about getting shippers to take packaging away so I'll be ready to deal with that too!

Binbird
Old Jun 17th 2005, 5:08 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all
Red face Re: Accuracy of shipping times.....?

Binbird
We to are using PSS to Melbourne, my advice is to contact Kent in Sydney, they have the local knowledge & daily contact with customs. Thats what we did & for Mel its 2 working weeks at the mo.

Stu