Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Accountant stuffed up last year tax return....

Accountant stuffed up last year tax return....

Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:06 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accountant stuffed up last year tax return....

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I've never had an accountant do mine but do you not get all the paperwork given to you when the forms have been submitted? Also when you get your Notice of Assessment, you can see what gross and tax deducted figures were sent. Surely it's the responsibility of the client to ensure the accountant has done their job properly when they sign? I assume you have to actually sign when you submit a paper version. When do you pay them, is it before or after they've submitted? Interesting to know if I ever use one.
Yeah seem to recall signing, but don't recall seeing any figures.

I've found my original group cert and got it with me now.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 9:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I've found my original group cert and got it with me now.
To which the guy denied was the one presented on the day ...

Big argument and no further forward.

Lost $700, and will Etax from now on.

If you want a job done proper...

Charlatans!
Old Aug 9th 2012, 9:31 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Hold on, hold on - I'm not an accountant, but:

1) are you sure you can't refile your already filed tax return in the correct amount? My accountant mentioned this to me because I got charged the Medicare levy when in fact I was entitled to an exemption. (I didn't bother because it was not $50 difference that year).

2) you should consider going through the CTTT (or whatever the equivalent is n your state) to get the fee you paid the accountant back plus any significant costs.

Last edited by lapin_windstar; Aug 9th 2012 at 9:42 am.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Hold on, hold on - I'm not an accountant, but are you sure you can't refile your already filed tax return in the correct amount? My accountant mentioned this to me because I got charged the Medicare levy when in fact I was entitled to an exemption. (I didn't bother because it was not $50 difference that year).
Apparently if we put the correct figures in I owe them $26.

I got $750 odd back last year, and hence now owe them $700 odd!

Confusing as hell, hence why I used a pro for the job ...
Old Aug 9th 2012, 9:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
you should consider going through the CTTT (or whatever the equivalent is n your state) to get the fee you paid the accountant back plus any significant costs.
There's this mob ...

http://www.tpb.gov.au/

Where I can lodge a complaint, but i'm not interested in any of that, would sooner not lose $700 to someone else's error really.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had an accountant do mine but do you not get all the paperwork given to you when the forms have been submitted? Also when you get your Notice of Assessment, you can see what gross and tax deducted figures were sent. Surely it's the responsibility of the client to ensure the accountant has done their job properly when they sign? I assume you have to actually sign when you submit a paper version. When do you pay them, is it before or after they've submitted? Interesting to know if I ever use one.
It used to be the client who was liable but now, as long as the client gives the accountant the correct information the accountant is liable for any penalties etc that the ATO impose if they have made mistakes or made in correct claims. I know this because my accountant was at pains to remind me of this, ie his liability, over the last couple of years
Old Aug 9th 2012, 10:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Gibbo
It used to be the client who was liable but now, as long as the client gives the accountant the correct information the accountant is liable for any penalties etc that the ATO impose if they have made mistakes or made in correct claims. I know this because my accountant was at pains to remind me of this, ie his liability, over the last couple of years
Any way of proving this? ... a link would be handy, but wishful thinking me thinks.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 11:23 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

There's this mob ...

http://www.tpb.gov.au/

Where I can lodge a complaint, but i'm not interested in any of that, would sooner not lose $700 to someone else's error really.
TPB is a professional standards board. Is your guy an accountant or just a tax agent?

CTTT/VCAT etc is small claims type court. You don't need to pay lawyers etc. they could award damages as well as repayment of the fee paid.

But have you called the ATO to see if you can refile that year's tax return with the correct income? Then you'd only owe the correct amount. ATO has always been pretty helpful on the phone (although sometimes there can be a long wait).
Old Aug 9th 2012, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently if we put the correct figures in I owe them $26.

I got $750 odd back last year, and hence now owe them $700 odd!

Confusing as hell, hence why I used a pro for the job ...
So, you were given that money back last year, but if he hadn't done it wrong you would have had $700 less. So you haven't lost $700 at all, you should never have had it in the first place. You have had $700 that wasn't yours for a year. A huge pain in the posterior, and I would be angry at his incompetence too, but you haven't actually lost anything.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 11:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
So, you were given that money back last year, but if he hadn't done it wrong you would have had $700 less. So you haven't lost $700 at all, you should never have had it in the first place. You have had $700 that wasn't yours for a year. A huge pain in the posterior, and I would be angry at his incompetence too, but you haven't actually lost anything.
In fact, had he left it alone he'd have about 80c more in interest.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

In fact, had he left it alone he'd have about 80c more in interest.
Double loss, rub it in won't ya!
Old Aug 9th 2012, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
This is true, but just backs up he don't have a clue what he's doing! He reckons if we put the 'proper' figures in, i'd owe the ATO $26.

I can claim my phone, internet, landline, and all the rest, so struggle to see how I owe them at the end of the year! ...

I'll phone the ATO tomorrow and see what they say.