Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Accountant stuffed up last year tax return....

Accountant stuffed up last year tax return....

Old Aug 9th 2012, 2:34 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accountant stuffed up last year tax return....

And now the ATO want $700 from me.

Do these jokers have any kind of insurance to cover this anyone?

Basically I gave him group certificate last year and he's entered the figure wrong by $4,700. The ATO have queried it and he said my old employer has obv stuffed up as he's an accountant and don't make mistakes with figures! ...

Just checked with prev employer who surprise surprise sent the 'correct' figure!

Sooooo, ATO want $700 from me cos of his mistake, and go on tell me, I'll have to pay it! ...
Old Aug 9th 2012, 2:41 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accountant stuffed up last year tax return....

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

Basically I gave him group certificate last year and he's entered the figure wrong by $4,700. The ATO have queried it and he said my old employer has obv stuffed up as he's an accountant and don't make mistakes with figures! ...

Just checked with prev employer who surprise surprise sent the 'correct' figure!

Sooooo, ATO want $700 from me cos of his mistake, and go on tell me, I'll have to pay it! ...
I don't know much about accountancy but it seems to me you still owe the money with or without his error. Whether or not you have a claim against him would be interesting to find out.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 2:49 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

My a/c made big mistakes on my return 2 years running which I spotted, fortunately. I then decided to do it all myself.

The form/software is pretty clear that even if an a/c prepares the return you are still responsible for it being correct.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

The onus is now on the accountant.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 4:55 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

You would have a claim against your accountant, but it would probably cost you more than $700 to pursue it with no guarantee you'd get anything back.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 6:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
You would have a claim against your accountant, but it would probably cost you more than $700 to pursue it with no guarantee you'd get anything back.
Well just spoke to the joker who pretty much said "oh well" ... and will do nowt about it.

Can't find an ombudsman, but can log a complaint with TPB which will get me about $0 towards the money the ATO will demand.

Excellent! ... use a pro they say, they'll claim EVERY cent .... pffft, can ANYONE get anything right here?
Old Aug 9th 2012, 6:12 am
Account Closed

can ANYONE get anything right here?
Bloody only reason i'm here is the weather, THANK GAWD that's done by God or that'll get stuffed up too!

Old Aug 9th 2012, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

No, if an error was made your accountant they should rectify it.

Appeal, adjust, whatever but it can be done, imagine if you had underpaid, do you think they would say he ho thats OK
Old Aug 9th 2012, 6:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Appeal, adjust, whatever but it can be done, imagine if you had underpaid, do you think they would say he ho thats OK
Well am awaiting a call back from the top man of the company, not holding breath tho, and so far anyone from any kind of organisation (inc TPB) I've spoke to have told me i'm liable, it's MY tax return!

Man, if you want a job done properly eh!!
Old Aug 9th 2012, 6:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Oh and all he keeps saying is the figures are totally different. Not just one number, all the figures are totally wrong.

I tell him that I handed him the certificate, and HE entered the figures so ....

Def a keeper this one!
Old Aug 9th 2012, 7:46 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Offer the ATO a certain amount each week/month they cant refuse
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:00 am
Account Closed

Well am awaiting a call back from the top man of the company, not holding breath tho
sitting in waiting room for my 6pm apt.

Blokes offered to do this years for free ...

We've worked out the figure he put me down for sounds very much like the figure Nic earned last year.

We did our returns at the same time!

Gonna get him to confirm what was declared for me first, then get him to pull up Nic's....

I wonder, just wonder!
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had an accountant do mine but do you not get all the paperwork given to you when the forms have been submitted? Also when you get your Notice of Assessment, you can see what gross and tax deducted figures were sent. Surely it's the responsibility of the client to ensure the accountant has done their job properly when they sign? I assume you have to actually sign when you submit a paper version. When do you pay them, is it before or after they've submitted? Interesting to know if I ever use one.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:03 am
Account Closed

I wonder, just wonder!
Even if so, where will it get me! ...
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

I doubt you will get any joy with this. The ATO will expect you to pay as you would have signed the return approving the figures. If there is any additional penalty you could get your accountant to ask the ATO to waive these as it was their mistake.
I had a similar situation a couple of years back, where the accountant didn't include bank interest. The ATO initially added a $150 penalty to the outstanding tax.
Using accountants, particularily for business, isn't cheap either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.