Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Accountancy Jobs in OZ

Accountancy Jobs in OZ

Old Jan 20th 2015, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Sebkachoei1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accountancy Jobs in Australia :)

Hello All and hope your day started well.

I am applying for working Visa in Oz and i have 8 years experience in Accounting management and have AAT qualification and i was wondering if anyone can advise how hard or easy is to get a job in OZ for someone with my experience and qualification?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by Sebkachoei1984; Jan 20th 2015 at 9:53 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 21st 2015, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Geezer123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accountancy Jobs in OZ

You need a CA in Australia or a CPA at the very least...CA does hold higher weight in the industry. This is a post grad qualification from Uni and if unless you have one of these qualifications you aren't really even considered an accountant.

Seek.com.au is your friend, but it will clearly state in the ads about these qualifications.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 6:28 am
Just Joined

Sebkachoei1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello and thank you for your advise, so would you recommend I pass the course while I am in the UK? Or is there anything else you advise me to do here before I travel?
Old Jan 21st 2015, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sebkachoei1984
Hello and thank you for your advise, so would you recommend I pass the course while I am in the UK? Or is there anything else you advise me to do here before I travel?

My wife completed her CPA in the UK, but she is an Australian citizen with a 4yr Accounting degree and many years accounting experience in Sydney. Things may have changed but a few years ago you could not be a CPA (orCA) without an appropriate degree. Whether that needed to be an Australian degree or not I'm unsure.

CPA are set up in the UK and very helpful, they have exam centres all over the country, but my impression is that this is mostly to help Aussies that are in the UK that have already started the process.

More knowledgable folks will be along shortly, I'm sure.

Forgot to add: Just asked Mrs TB and she said that CPA and CIMA recognition is reciprocal now (it never used to be years ago), CPA wouldn't accredit CIMA but CIMA would accredit CPA.) Anyway, they are both one big happy family now

Reason for saying this is that might be easier to go via that route if you are in the UK?

Last edited by Tr1boy; Jan 21st 2015 at 8:31 am.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 9:38 am
Just Joined

stevegallagher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
My wife completed her CPA in the UK, but she is an Australian citizen with a 4yr Accounting degree and many years accounting experience in Sydney. Things may have changed but a few years ago you could not be a CPA (orCA) without an appropriate degree. Whether that needed to be an Australian degree or not I'm unsure.

CPA are set up in the UK and very helpful, they have exam centres all over the country, but my impression is that this is mostly to help Aussies that are in the UK that have already started the process.

More knowledgable folks will be along shortly, I'm sure.

Forgot to add: Just asked Mrs TB and she said that CPA and CIMA recognition is reciprocal now (it never used to be years ago), CPA wouldn't accredit CIMA but CIMA would accredit CPA.) Anyway, they are both one big happy family now

Reason for saying this is that might be easier to go via that route if you are in the UK?
Second this - when I was in Australia my CIMA qualification was accepted within the market and there is no need to have CPA or CA if you have a globally recognised accountancy qualification. Plus as TR1boy says above there is a reciprocal agreement by which if you want to switch from CIMA to CPA then you are able to do so rather easily providing you satisfy the requirements that can be found on their website.

Whatever your choice best of luck!
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

HopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond reputeHopeShines has a reputation beyond repute

A world of "C's"! depressing
i am a faculty graduate, and I have diploma in Internation Fianancial Repoting from the ACCA, with a 16 years accounting experience.
Is it still feasible to come to OZ and find accounting job??
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 6:50 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HopeShines
A world of "C's"! depressing
i am a faculty graduate, and I have diploma in Internation Fianancial Repoting from the ACCA, with a 16 years accounting experience.
Is it still feasible to come to OZ and find accounting job??
I would imagine people are still doing that but Accountants now have restricted invitations due to the number of applications this year. How long it will take to find a job is another matter.