Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which passport via the USA?

Which passport via the USA?

Old Mar 3rd 2015, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which passport via the USA?

Hoping someone can advise me on this passport question. In May I will be travelling to the UK from Australia (via the USA). My current ESTA for the USA is in my British passport. I entered Australia on my NZ passport in October. Will I be ok to leave Australia on my UK passport or should I leave on my NZ passport and show my British passport in the USA?

Just to make it more complicated, this is the return part of my flight ticket that I purchased in the UK last year where the outbound flight was Heathrow to Brisbane via LAX (I left the UK on my British passport so no problems there, and entered Australia on my NZ passport).
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 1:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which passport via the USA?

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Hoping someone can advise me on this passport question. In May I will be travelling to the UK from Australia (via the USA). My current ESTA for the USA is in my British passport. I entered Australia on my NZ passport in October. Will I be ok to leave Australia on my UK passport or should I leave on my NZ passport and show my British passport in the USA?

Just to make it more complicated, this is the return part of my flight ticket that I purchased in the UK last year where the outbound flight was Heathrow to Brisbane via LAX (I left the UK on my British passport so no problems there, and entered Australia on my NZ passport).
To keep the (anal) Aussie records straight, I'd say leave through immigration (down the escalator at brisbane) on the one you entered with (NZ) as thats the one that gives you the entitlement to be in Aus - your UK one doesn't have a visa attached to it. HOWEVER (edit to add this) You will need to check in with the UK one as that has the ESTA attached.
Then transit the US and enter the UK on your UK one.

If/when you return to Aus you will need to check in with your NZ one, but if asked to show one when departing actually leave the UK on your UK one. Show the NZ one when in transit - a that is the one that gives you the right to enter Aus - and re-enter Aus on the NZ one

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 3rd 2015 at 1:10 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Polly :-)
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 1:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Thanks Polly :-)
No probs
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I'd echo Polly's advice on that. I flew from London to New York a few weeks back and entered on the Aussie passport as I had used that previously and I thought it better at immigration that the finger prints to tie up.

Mind you, I accidentally filled out the ESTA before I flew, not remembering I had a current ESTA, and they want you to now list all the passports you have.

They have also changed the structure of the moral turpitude question. From memory they've removed the phrase moral turpitude and from what I recalled, it sounded like you no longer need to tick yes if you have a 20 year old drink driving charge or got arrested for a fight outside a boozer when you were 19.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 12:22 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
... it sounded like you no longer need to tick yes if you have a 20 year old drink driving charge or got arrested for a fight outside a boozer when you were 19.
That's a relief!
Old Mar 4th 2015, 2:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'd echo Polly's advice on that. I flew from London to New York a few weeks back and entered on the Aussie passport as I had used that previously and I thought it better at immigration that the finger prints to tie up.

Mind you, I accidentally filled out the ESTA before I flew, not remembering I had a current ESTA, and they want you to now list all the passports you have.

They have also changed the structure of the moral turpitude question. From memory they've removed the phrase moral turpitude and from what I recalled, it sounded like you no longer need to tick yes if you have a 20 year old drink driving charge or got arrested for a fight outside a boozer when you were 19.
Do they still ask if you were a Nazi in WW2?
Old Mar 4th 2015, 2:43 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

There was talk of this a while ago - in the US they seem to equate arrest with guilt, so people that had been nicked and then released without any further action were subsequently ineligible for the VWP, despite having no criminal record etc.

S
Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, knock yourself out - http://thetravelvisacompany.co.uk/am...rican_esta.pdf

No Nazi's and that fight outside the pub 20 years ago only mattered if you put the guy in hospital.