Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

access to university/ best age for teenagers

access to university/ best age for teenagers

Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:18 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute
Default access to university/ best age for teenagers

Hi

My daughter would like to go into teaching when she leaves school, so we were going to wait for her to do her A'levels before moving. However, this would mean that my youngest would be 16 years old.

My questions :scared:
  1. Would we be better going before my eldest takes her A'levels (when she is 17) and if so how would she get into university?
  2. if we wait till after her A'levels will my youngest be able to go into year 11.
all this worry ..need a drink now

thanks
Annette
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:39 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: access to university/ best age for teenagers

Well I disagree with making her do A-Levels first, I am going straight into my year 12 and picking 6 or whatever it is subjects so that I slot right into what the universities are used to and also so that I have my citizenship etc so that I dont ahve to pay as an "international student" but your best looking into this as its a big choice... we only realised all this half way through my AS Level year (Im leaving my school this friday) and then we are flying out at the end of march, and Ive only missed 3 months of school over there which I can catch up on easily enough..
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:55 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply and good luck for your move at the end of this month

Originally Posted by ScottyTee
Well I disagree with making her do A-Levels first, I am going straight into my year 12 and picking 6 or whatever it is subjects so that I slot right into what the universities are used to and also so that I have my citizenship etc so that I dont ahve to pay as an "international student" but your best looking into this as its a big choice... we only realised all this half way through my AS Level year (Im leaving my school this friday) and then we are flying out at the end of march, and Ive only missed 3 months of school over there which I can catch up on easily enough..
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

We had similar situation,

Came across when son had finished GCSE's and just started A levels, so he was accepted into year 12, so basically had to get OP in one year not 2. Daughter joined year 11 so has two years to get OP.

(Queensland OP = Overall Performance for high school - qualifications to get to uni).

Kids here go to uni at 18/19 depending on when their birthday falls, my daughter will be 17.

Uni year starts in March for Queensland - also you could do an access course for a year if that suited.

Can't get student loan until citizen - which has proved a pain!!!!!! Remember the residency requirements for this may be going up to three years also.

However uni fees here = $5,500 for year which isn't bad.

Hope this helps

Tracey
Old Mar 5th 2006, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottyTee
You're planning on going directly into Year 12 this year?

Maybe QLD is different, but here in NSW the Year 12 exams are based on Year 11 and Year 12 work (ie. it's a 2-year, 8-term course). The final term of Year 12 is basically exams only with no teaching, so you'd effectively only get two full terms of teaching before having to take the exams.

You'd need to be a very good student indeed to be able to squash eight terms of study into two AND do well in the exams.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Nicky,

This is a really good point.

When looking for schools many would not offer this to our eldest son, many wanting him and his sister to join year 11. However we found a really good private school who were able to offer all the support he needed, also with the descretion to take his year 12 results and average them out on the assumption that he would have achieved the same standard in year 11. Not ideal but worked for our son who got a good enough OP, infact more than many of his peers to join Uni. (which he started at the beginning of the month on the Gold Coast).

I would however add that it did take alot of hard work and effort on his part, both he and his sister study every week night and choose not to go out during the week. Niether of them are swats but have always done their homework etc. Its alot to think about and important that any young person from the UK opting for just year 12 knows what will be required. Also there are other study option pre uni like TAFE or other colleges or access courses.

Good luck

Tracey

Originally Posted by nickyc
You're planning on going directly into Year 12 this year?

Maybe QLD is different, but here in NSW the Year 12 exams are based on Year 11 and Year 12 work (ie. it's a 2-year, 8-term course). The final term of Year 12 is basically exams only with no teaching, so you'd effectively only get two full terms of teaching before having to take the exams.

You'd need to be a very good student indeed to be able to squash eight terms of study into two AND do well in the exams.