Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore stopover, how long would you stay?

Singapore stopover, how long would you stay?

Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:22 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Default Singapore stopover, how long would you stay?

Hello everyone.

So, for those that have been before, if you did it again how long would you stay?
We have two kids and basically is there enough to keep them/us occupied. The kids are 6 and 8 years of age.

We've just had mixed feedback from friends and I was last there in '86 so things will have changed a lot since then plus I can't really remember a lot, apart from being chased out of a restaurant, *ahem* different story.

Is a 2 to 3 day stay enough?

What about a stop in Sydney instead, Hong Kong anyone?

Rich
Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore stopover, how long would you stay?

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Hello everyone.

So, for those that have been before, if you did it again how long would you stay?
We have two kids and basically is there enough to keep them/us occupied. The kids are 6 and 8 years of age.

We've just had mixed feedback from friends and I was last there in '86 so things will have changed a lot since then plus I can't really remember a lot, apart from being chased out of a restaurant, *ahem* different story.

Rich

Hi

We stop in Singapore each time we go to Australia. We normally stop 2 nights. Plenty to do interesting places for the kids to go. Try the Singapore website to see what there is to do.

Have a great time

Sunshine23
Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshine23
Hi

We stop in Singapore each time we go to Australia. We normally stop 2 nights. Plenty to do interesting places for the kids to go. Try the Singapore website to see what there is to do.

Have a great time

Sunshine23
Hi,

We stayed 2 nights, but I wish we'd stayed a couple more. We don't have kids but I would imagine there's plenty for them to do from what we saw. It's a great way to break up the long flight and ease you in jet lag wise, so I would imagine with kids that would be ideal.

Sydney, I know, has tonnes of stuff for kids and you could keep them entertained for weeks on end there.

I haven't been to Hong Kong, that's the next one on my list!

All the best
Suzi
Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

cj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant future

Hello everyone.

Rich
We stayed in Singapore for 2 nights last year when our children were 6 and 9. They absolutely loved it there and said they wanted to stay longer. I recon we could easily have done a week.

Cath
Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:10 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cj23
We stayed in Singapore for 2 nights last year when our children were 6 and 9. They absolutely loved it there and said they wanted to stay longer. I recon we could easily have done a week.

Cath
Do you have to reclaim the luggage for a stopover? or can singapore air hold onto it ?
Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:10 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone.

Rich
I really want to go to singapore, but our plane dont go there!

The Night Safari looks great

http://www.nightsafari.com.sg/
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:01 pm
Cake addicted member

poppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by paulf
Do you have to reclaim the luggage for a stopover? or can singapore air hold onto it ?
We have been told (by Singapore Air when we booked the tickets) that Singapore Air will hold onto the luggage (we are on a 3 night stopover). As we don't fly until early April I can't guarantee that what they say and what actually happens will match! Perhaps someone else will have actual experience - I would also like to know. Thanks.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Singapore stopover, how long would you stay?

Originally Posted by poppet
We have been told (by Singapore Air when we booked the tickets) that Singapore Air will hold onto the luggage (we are on a 3 night stopover). As we don't fly until early April I can't guarantee that what they say and what actually happens will match! Perhaps someone else will have actual experience - I would also like to know. Thanks.
Hi all,

When you get to the airport book your baggage straight through to your final destination and the luggage you need for singapore to there. We do that and have never had any problems. The good thing is if you haven't your cases with you you are not tempted to open them.

Sunshine23
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:09 pm
Cake addicted member

poppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sunshine23
Hi all,

When you get to the airport book your baggage straight through to your final destination and the luggage you need for singapore to there. We do that and have never had any problems. The good thing is if you haven't your cases with you you are not tempted to open them.

Sunshine23
Thanks sunshine - good to know it works in practice. As we have 120K entitlement (between us) and a 1 year old little girl the last thing we need is to struggle with all our luggage. Thanks for putting my mind at rest a little (still so much else for it to worry about!!).
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Singapore stopover, how long would you stay?

Originally Posted by poppet
Thanks sunshine - good to know it works in practice. As we have 120K entitlement (between us) and a 1 year old little girl the last thing we need is to struggle with all our luggage. Thanks for putting my mind at rest a little (still so much else for it to worry about!!).
Glad I could help. I must admit the first time we did it I had visions of all out baggage going around and around the carousel at singapore, my husband reassured me that this would not happen and he was right.

You will have no problems just make sure you tell them at check in that is what you want to do and you will not see your baggage again until you arrive in sunny Australia.

Have a great journey and new life.

Sunshine23
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Lou OZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Singapore stopover, how long would you stay?

Dont Go!!! Hong Kong is so much more fun, so much to see and do. The singapore slings at Raffles are even pre-made and just not nice.
Listen to your friends, my husband was bought up in singapore and was bitterly disappointed to see it (Sept o5). Although another friend said that the Zoo was the best in the world. If you do go ,i hope you have a fab time at the zoo.

Hello everyone.

Rich
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

are you tempted now then mate
Old Mar 5th 2006, 5:28 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rooksie
are you tempted now then mate
Well, we have gained abit of time in a way, Paul when he was Paul2004 did a fantastic recckie report last year AND he checked out a school which we were intrested in called Upper Coomera State, it is just what we were hoping for, kids stay in the same school straight through lower, middle, and upper so it takes a lot of pressure off us, reminds me to send him a PM
I,ll link the thread in a mo.

here is said link
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...als+gold+coast

lol, I even got UKnova up and running now,

Last edited by paulf; Mar 5th 2006 at 5:31 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, we have gained abit of time in a way, Paul when he was Paul2004 did a fantastic recckie report last year AND he checked out a school which we were intrested in called Upper Coomera State, it is just what we were hoping for, kids stay in the same school straight through lower, middle, and upper so it takes a lot of pressure off us, reminds me to send him a PM
I,ll link the thread in a mo.

yeah we were tempted to go there as there is a really good catholic school there but no places for eldest daughter so we are back to sunshine coast but i have narrowed schools down to 2 so it should take some pressure off. you are going a week before us though i think. poop
Old Mar 5th 2006, 5:32 pm
?????????

Originally Posted by Rooksie
yeah we were tempted to go there as there is a really good catholic school there but no places for eldest daughter so we are back to sunshine coast but i have narrowed schools down to 2 so it should take some pressure off. you are going a week before us though i think. poop
yeah, march 24th :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.