British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Absolutely Disgusted!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/absolutely-disgusted-344928/)

Siren & Brian Dec 29th 2005 8:42 am

Re: Absolutely Disgusted!!!

How and what should the politicians and coppers be doing to stop it?

If they start with the Aussies they will say its the Lebanese that started it and vise versa.

I know the gang of Lebanese that gang raped a woman cos she was an Australian got something like 32 or 52 years (cant remember) But it still happens so thats maybe not enough of a deterrent. Wheres Mrs Bobbitt when ya need her.

YoSemite Dec 29th 2005 9:15 am

sad thing is that people are always going to fight.... if it's not about race or religion it'll be about the colour of your hair or the size of your shoes....

it starts with backhanded comments in the playground at primary/junior school and carries on throughout life.

i think part of the problem is we (as humans ) don't even understand why we act/react like this so without this basic understanding we have little hope of intervening to create some kind of social cohesion.

for anyone that might be more interest ACPACS (Oz centre for peace and conflict studies) does a lot of work surrounding this...

Linda Lushardi Dec 29th 2005 9:21 am

Originally Posted by YoSemite
sad thing is that people are always going to fight.... if it's not about race or religion it'll be about the colour of your hair or the size of your shoes....

it starts with backhanded comments in the playground at primary/junior school and carries on throughout life.

i think part of the problem is we (as humans ) don't even understand why we act/react like this so without this basic understanding we have little hope of intervening to create some kind of social cohesion.

for anyone that might be more interest ACPACS (Oz centre for peace and conflict studies) does a lot of work surrounding this...

Geez aint that the truth!!

This website is a prime example PMSL :D ;)

copa Dec 29th 2005 9:26 am

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Racial intolerance in the UK is stamped out in a second, as we all know

Doesn't stop the anti-gypsy rhetoric I hear from regular folk when visiting the UK.

Bix Dec 29th 2005 10:09 am

No worries.......I obviously misunderstood your comments.
Friends? :)

This is getting a bit of a bad habit with you Rob. :(
Jumping down peoples throats then apologising later.

Chill out a bit.

Remember the media you are on and allow for the fact it's not always apparent what someone means just by reading the words. Use a different emphasis and you get a different meaning. Benefit of the doubt and all that.

Please mate, cut some slack. :)

Bordy Dec 29th 2005 10:23 am

Shoot first & ask questions later? :D

Twin Peaks Dec 29th 2005 10:31 am

Want me to be honest?? :)

I was trying to find out if the chicks go topless on the beaches down under...

Yes they certainly do ;)

Rooksie Dec 29th 2005 10:48 am

Want me to be honest?? :)

I was trying to find out if the chicks go topless on the beaches down under...so typed in 'beach etiquette'....

PMSL :D :D

Wish I hadn't bothered now and still dont have the answer to my original question!!! :D

LMAO!!!! k on its way mate :D

Rooksie Dec 29th 2005 10:49 am

Originally Posted by fraser
Indeed mirror wrap round sunnys are needed ;)

and loose fitting shorts :D

fraser Dec 29th 2005 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Rooksie
and loose fitting shorts :D

Nah I just lay on my front ;)

ozzieeagle Dec 29th 2005 11:06 am

There does seem to be, a marked difference between Melbourne, and the rest of Australia on this Multiculturalism subject. I've been very surprised over the past few months about the amount of latent racism in the rest of the Country.

I cannot for the life of me work out why it would be different in Melbourne though.

Personally I always felt, as someone that has lived here for nearly 25 years now, that It was Queensland that was the most likely place to have a negative reaction to anything different.

It's been a sad eyeopener these latest events.

Rooksie Dec 29th 2005 11:07 am

Originally Posted by fraser
Nah I just lay on my front ;)

you will get a lovely brown back mate!! :D

Gibbo Dec 29th 2005 11:50 am

I have been reading posts on this thread with, I don't really know how to express how I feel, dismay, annoyance, disgust, maybe all of these. What happened at Cronulla has been labelled a race riot - I believe that this is a misnomer. These people were sick and tired of a group of thugs making trouble on the beach and its surrounds. They, the thugs, happened to be Lebonese. I in no way condone the action of the crowd but can understand how it came to pass. Since the introduction of multiculturalism the ethnic gangs have been getting away with behaviour that the anglo/european would be thrown in jail for, just because the are of ethnic origin, so people don't see the point in reporting these incidents to the police. Before multiculturalism was introduced if you did the wrong thing you were given the punishment no excuses made because of your ethnic background. Things were much fairer than they are now.
I don't believe that 90% of that crowd at Cronulla wanted all Lebonese people off the beach and out of the country - only the thugs.
Australians in general are very open minded and will accept,or regect, you for what you are, not because of where you came from. I think I'm more qualified than most on this site to make that statement as I've lived in Sydney for almost 40 years.

arkle Dec 29th 2005 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Gibbo
I have been reading posts on this thread with, I don't really know how to express how I feel, dismay, annoyance, disgust, maybe all of these. What happened at Cronulla has been labelled a race riot - I believe that this is a misnomer. These people were sick and tired of a group of thugs making trouble on the beach and its surrounds. They, the thugs, happened to be Lebonese. I in no way condone the action of the crowd but can understand how it came to pass. Since the introduction of multiculturalism the ethnic gangs have been getting away with behaviour that the anglo/european would be thrown in jail for, just because the are of ethnic origin, so people don't see the point in reporting these incidents to the police. Before multiculturalism was introduced if you did the wrong thing you were given the punishment no excuses made because of your ethnic background. Things were much fairer than they are now.
I don't believe that 90% of that crowd at Cronulla wanted all Lebonese people off the beach and out of the country - only the thugs.
Australians in general are very open minded and will accept,or regect, you for what you are, not because of where you came from. I think I'm more qualified than most on this site to make that statement as I've lived in Sydney for almost 40 years.

Sounds about right to me.

wavy_davy Dec 29th 2005 11:59 am

http://www.epochtimesnews.net/index....t/view/1006/45

Makes for a good read, is it the minorities' unwillingness to integrate or our intolerance?....discuss :)