Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

About to Migrate; Guidance on accomodation!

About to Migrate; Guidance on accomodation!

Old Mar 18th 2013, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

f4fred is on a distinguished road
Default About to Migrate; Guidance on accomodation!

Dear BE Fellows,

Please have a look at my signature to know about my particulars. I will soon be leaving for Australia (not sure about destination within australia). I will settle anywhere depending upon a suitable job. However, during my validation trip, I came to know that:

one could not get a rental accommodation until they are on a suitable job? Is it true?

As I will be travelling with my family (wife and a three year old), I would need a separate accommodation. My friends in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane are offering to share their accommodation and I shared the one of my Melbourne friend's during the validation trip, however, now I am moving permanently and want to have my own accommodation.

Can anyone please guide if its possible to get a rental accommodation by showing a good bank statement or any other proof of funds?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Fred, F.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 12:11 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About to Migrate; Guidance on accomodation!

Originally Posted by f4fred
Dear BE Fellows,

Please have a look at my signature to know about my particulars. I will soon be leaving for Australia (not sure about destination within australia). I will settle anywhere depending upon a suitable job. However, during my validation trip, I came to know that:

one could not get a rental accommodation until they are on a suitable job? Is it true?

As I will be travelling with my family (wife and a three year old), I would need a separate accommodation. My friends in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane are offering to share their accommodation and I shared the one of my Melbourne friend's during the validation trip, however, now I am moving permanently and want to have my own accommodation.

Can anyone please guide if its possible to get a rental accommodation by showing a good bank statement or any other proof of funds?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Fred, F.
If you do not have a job, I suspect you would need to show sufficient funds in a bank account to proove you can pay the rent. Take to to the extreme, a multi millionaire, who may not need to work, may wish to rent a home, which I'm sure would be possible.

Just know that there is a huge demand for rental accommodation in parts of Australia. Property managers will often have to make snap decisions on who to let the property too. Anyone with 'questions' against their name, ie can this person pay the rent? will more than likely be moved to the bottom of the pile of applications.

Bring plenty of personal references and proof of recent rental history (if any).

I would suggest temporary short stay accommodation while you get a job, then you'll know the area you will need to commute too and that may determine where you rent.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Jowindsor has a spectacular aura aboutJowindsor has a spectacular aura aboutJowindsor has a spectacular aura about

We moved recently to Sydney.Me and my OH didnt have a job lined up when we landed here.Have to admit it was quiet difficult to get a rental property without job offer.We tried to show bank balance and pay 3 months or so upfront ,but the landlord didnt agree to it.Finally we waited till we got the offer letter and then got our own place.Short term accomadations cost a lot,depends on where you get it...Would highly recommend accepting the offer from your friends til you get a job and then rent your own place!!

Thats from my experience!!!May be there are other landlords who might be
ready to rent a place based on bank balance or few months payin upfront!!

Good Luck-
Old Mar 19th 2013, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Timmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really nice

If you have any particular rental accommodation in mind, i'd suggest calling or emailing them first and let them know your situation and what documentation/proof they need to let you stay.

Good luck!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Lou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really nice

I didn't have a job when I moved into my apartment in Perth. I just gave them a copy of my bank statement and explained in my application what sort of work I do. They asked me to pay 3 months rent up front.

So yeah, it's possible. Just explain your circumstances when you apply for places.

Good luck
Old Mar 20th 2013, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Cosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant future

We applied to a privately advertised rental in the paper instead of through an agent. Perhaps we were just lucky, but no real questions were asked. We paid 3 months up front and only had to agree to 6 months which was a bonus for us.