Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aborigines - your opinion/ Auckland land claim

Aborigines - your opinion/ Auckland land claim

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aborigines - your opinion/ Auckland land claim

How are the aborigines treated over there? Are they claiming land like the maoris are over here and do they have much of a political voice. latest maori land claim blazed across the front of the waikato Times in NZ - the Tainui tribe are claiming large parts of Auckland including huge fisheries of course. Its government owned land but there is huge amounts of it worth billions of $. Anyone out there want to come to Auckland? Its laughable- mind you you never know with the labour Govt here. Our prime minister who has no children also wants to make smacking of kids illegal- I mean all smacking - apparently if you smack your kids the next thing is youll be murdering them or youre teaching them to be murderers!
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 6:19 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Aborigines - your opinion/ Auckland land claim

Originally posted by hamiltonnz
How are the aborigines treated over there? Are they claiming land like the maoris are over here and do they have much of a political voice. latest maori land claim blazed across the front of the waikato Times in NZ - the Tainui tribe are claiming large parts of Auckland including huge fisheries of course. Its government owned land but there is huge amounts of it worth billions of $. Anyone out there want to come to Auckland? Its laughable- mind you you never know with the labour Govt here. Our prime minister who has no children also wants to make smacking of kids illegal- I mean all smacking - apparently if you smack your kids the next thing is youll be murdering them or youre teaching them to be murderers!
Who do you think should own the land?
Old Oct 4th 2003, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

S/pick is an unknown quantity at this point

We are all visitors. No one really owns anything. you can't take it with you when you die.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 10:00 pm
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by S/pick
We are all visitors. No one really owns anything. you can't take it with you when you die.
Well put....give them what is due.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 10:54 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

In Sydney the Aborigines are out of sight and out of mind. People rarely talk about the issues and it feels as though they do not exist. I come across more Islanders and Mauris than Aborigines.

I think the attitude in the bush and the NT is a bit different.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Originally posted by bondipom
In Sydney the Aborigines are out of sight and out of mind. People rarely talk about the issues and it feels as though they do not exist. I come across more Islanders and Mauris than Aborigines.

Thats a relief, I hope the same goes for Brisbane. Me and hubby plan to move there next year. We have heard all sorts of stories. Hope they're tame . Hey by the way our house will be sale about March if anyones interested. Its 2 acres with 2 houses and 2 seperate sleepouts with outside spa (lovely in the winter) nice older wooden style with bay windows etc. .we have chickens and a couple of cows. Nice lifesyle 11 ks out of Hamilton. All this for a meazly $300.00. We rent the other house out and that pays the morgage. Cheaky arnt I? Thanx for your reply.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 11:36 pm

I find it a shame because I am sure there is a rich aboriginal culture. Unfortunatley the major issues are land, alcohol abuse and physical/sexual abuse.

The issues are complex and I do not know enough about them. All I do know is that the status quo is not good enough.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 11:51 pm
owieb

I find it a shame because I am sure there is a rich aboriginal culture. Unfortunatley the major issues are land, alcohol abuse and physical/sexual abuse.

The issues are complex and I do not know enough about them. All I do know is that the status quo is not good enough.
Interestingly I worked for DIA (The Department of Indigenous Affairs) when I first arrived here and that was a real eye opener!

I had no real knowledge of aboriginal issues, but I learnt a lot more about it and the troubles that aboriginals faced.

However there is a lot of other stuff that was going on particularly iro of land and sites. But that's confidential so I can't talk about it!

Old Oct 8th 2003, 11:56 pm

Originally posted by owieb
Interestingly I worked for DIA (The Department of Indigenous Affairs) when I first arrived here and that was a real eye opener!

I had no real knowledge of aboriginal issues, but I learnt a lot more about it and the troubles that aboriginals faced.

However there is a lot of other stuff that was going on particularly iro of land and sites. But that's confidential so I can't talk about it!
Are there more Aborigines over in WA?
Old Oct 9th 2003, 12:04 am
owieb

Are there more Aborigines over in WA?
The department I worked for only dealed with WA so I have no idea about other states, but because of the large area WA covers I guess there is probably more here than anywhere else.

If you want to know more, checkout http://www.aad.wa.gov.au